Warren Sapp: poisoned or paranoid? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Warren Sapp: poisoned or paranoid?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Warren Sapp: poisoned or paranoid?

Postby thedude » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:56 am

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Warren Sapp is a very picky eater.

The Oakland Raiders' defensive tackle refuses to eat out on team trips for fear of getting sick, and he's not talking about the rare case of food poisoning.

Sapp insisted Wednesday his food was tampered with during his nine-year tenure in Tampa Bay from 1995-2003.

"You get your food poisoned," Sapp said at Raiders headquarters. "They don't want you out there on Sunday. You don't think about it. It just got crazy."

He pointed specifically to three incidents: Before the NFC Championship Game in Philadelphia at the end of the 2002 season, which the Bucs won en route to the Super Bowl title; before a divisional playoff game at Green Bay in January 1998; and at New Orleans, where the Bucs played a game during the 1998 season.

"I know it's real, especially in Philly, come on," said Sapp, long an unpopular figure in the NFL for his play and his mouth.

Sapp's comments caught Raiders coach Art Shell by surprise.

"That's the first I ever heard of it," said Shell, who spent five years working for the NFL before the Raiders hired him again in February. "Even being in the league office, I never heard that. That's scary."

Although San Diego Chargers receiver Keenan McCardell said he didn't know of any specific incidents of food poisoning involving Sapp, he understands Sapp's concerns.

"I know what Warren's talking about," said McCardell, teammates with Sapp for his final two seasons in Tampa Bay. "If you were Warren, a lot of people may target you. ... When I was in Jacksonville, Tom [Coughlin] said, 'Don't eat anything outside of what we're served as a team.'"

During his time with Tampa Bay, Sapp even went so far as to book two hotel rooms -- one under an alias -- so he could order room service and not worry about his food.

Sapp, who turns 34 next month, said he requested bottles of water with the cap still on.

"You have to, though," Sapp said of being cautious. "It's either that or feel bad."

For example, Sapp said that about a month after the Bucs won the Super Bowl, he and a friend traveled from Philadelphia to New York to watch Michael Jordan in his retirement tour at Madison Square Garden. First, they had dinner in Philadelphia, trading plates at the restaurant after their orders came. Then, Sapp said, his friend repeatedly threw up all the way to New York.

Sapp, who joined the Raiders before the 2004 season, said he has not had food poisoning after leaving Tampa Bay.

"I've been good out here on the West Coast," he said. "I guess they're more liberal out here."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

ESPN.COM
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:13 pm

Interesting. I never would have thought of that, but I guess it's quite possible. It's too bad idiots have to resort to something like that if true... :-/
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby thedude » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:31 pm

I personally think a lot of this is in his head.

Maybe his stomach aches are a combination of nerves and the massive amount of food he consumes.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:35 pm

I think Sapp's a nutbag.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 1337_Dude » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:55 pm

I wouldn't doubt this actually happens. In fact, I've always been suprised it doesn't happen more often.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:57 pm

Look at that Ukranian Dude...

Alexander Litvinenko
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Old_Style » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:01 pm

i remember sapp bringing this up a couple years ago (i think it was sapp). it sounds like most of it is in his head.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:35 pm

of course philly is the place listed...how many times are we gonna get a bad rap for things we dont do...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:35 pm

Or maybe the "poison" = Warren was unable to resist the lure of cheesesteaks before a game and they upset his tummy?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby suppasonic » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Warren Sapp should just tackle all the chefs at restaraunts he eats at before he sits down. That'll teach em.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk