Weightlifting and such - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Weightlifting and such

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:07 pm

RugbyD wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:Creatine is definitely a must for anyone who weight trains. And if you get it make sure it's Creatine Monohydrate not only because it's the cheapest, but because most of the studies are on creatine monohydrate.

I disagree. I've seen little difference in 2 very similar summers - one with creatine and one without. Also, a solid portion of monohydrate slides right through your system and is not absorbed - you're paying for what you get. It needs a buffer to acheive maximum absorption, which is why the effervescent version was created. Otherwise its pretty much the same base stuff.
Lot of people say that, but most of the studies are done using creatine monohydrate. There are fewer studies done with creatine ethyl ester and serum (which is an absolute hustle). I feel a lot more sure of my product when there's more info on it. And prices with creatine doesn't mean squat. A lot of the price comes from what it takes to market it. If you eat right and take a solid multi vitamin all you need is plain creatine. Also remember creatine doesn't work for everyone unfortunately so it'd probably not worth going all out on it. I use EAS's product and it works great for me. I know some people who use Cellmass (ethyl ester) and swear by it. Maybe people need to just dive in.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:20 pm

When I did lift in HighSchool I used creatine and it was pretty good stuff.

Now I lift beer cans
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:16 pm

something i forgot to mention before: if you are new or still relatively inexperienced with lifting, one of the best things you can do is a quick study of skeletal muscle anatomy. I found it very helpful to be able to visualize muscle contraction throughout an entire controlled rep every time, especically if its one where you can't watch yourself in a mirror. It also helps you focus more on areas where you may have an imbalance. One of the best books I've seen that incorporates this is Strength Training Anatomy, which you can buy here: http://www.amazon.com/Strength-Training ... F8&s=books . check out the 'search inside' feature. it also covers safety and injuries in addition to technique and muscle use.

make sure you get the second edition if you buy it.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:46 pm

I'm not going to mess with creatine. It's not worth the risk. I read all of the posts about how safe it is, but what I've read (from good sources) is drastically different. At this time, it is unknown what kind of negative effects creatine can have, and I've read that it CAN cause liver problems.

I'll just stick with protein, I'd rather not get into creatine.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:30 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I'm not going to mess with creatine. It's not worth the risk. I read all of the posts about how safe it is, but what I've read (from good sources) is drastically different. At this time, it is unknown what kind of negative effects creatine can have, and I've read that it CAN cause liver problems.

Sounds like FUD to me. Just about every serious athlete uses it and it's allowed by the all anti-doping agencies. That's because creatine is made by our bodies and breaks down very quickly. I'd really love to read the study where this takes place.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRel ... atine.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3145223.stm

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/?p=194
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:42 pm

sportsaddict wrote:I'm not going to mess with creatine. It's not worth the risk. I read all of the posts about how safe it is, but what I've read (from good sources) is drastically different. At this time, it is unknown what kind of negative effects creatine can have, and I've read that it CAN cause liver problems.

You just take protein shakes? Does that mean you just take a whey drink and call it a day? Taking whey protein alone isn't even the most efficient way to take protein. You have to get casein and other forms of protein your rotation. The reason being because whey protein's biological value is so high (easily absorbed by the body) that after 40mins to 1hr it's absorbed. Muscles need a constant protein source and this is where proteins like casein come into play. It takes much longer for the body to absorb.
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk