mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:34 am

RynMan wrote:
If possible avoid creatine - still largely unknown.

creatine is as safe as any supplement out there. it has been studied very, very extensively (thats two verys). not only has it been shown to be safe in the recommended doses its also been shown to be one of the most effective supplements ever. just follow the directions on the label and you will be fine. you dont need to go through a loading phase or anything like that. taking the recommended dose of creatine isnt a problem. taking overdoses of creatine could be a problem. taking overdoses of anything could be a problem. the urban legends say creatine causes kidney failure, liver failure and dehydration/cramping. those rumors simply arent true. in controlled studies no increased stress was found on those organs and dehydration/cramping were at the same rates as the control group. when used properly, it is safe. creatine is safer than drinking soda or eating potato chips.

not everybody responds the same way, but it would in theory be beneficial to a linebacker looking to gain size and speed. try it for a month or two and if you dont like it you can stop. the excess creatine will clear your system fairly shortly. it does not continue to affect your body for very long after you stop taking it.

and i ran the 800m in college. ;-D
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:08 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:and i ran the 800m in college. ;-D

What was your PR?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:41 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:

What was your PR?

i was 2-flat in high school. 2:00.04

i walked on in college and got down to 1:52 by my junior year. i got injured in cross country (i really hated XC) of my senior year didnt race on the track my senior year.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:48 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

What was your PR?

i walked on in college and got down to 1:52 by my junior year. i got injured in cross country (i really hated XC) of my senior year didnt race on the track my senior year.

8-o :-°

That's impressive right there. Nice job. How long ago was that? I didn't care for XC either. I really liked my teammates so it was fun when we weren't running. :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
j_d_mcnugent wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

What was your PR?

8-o :-°

That's impressive right there. Nice job. How long ago was that? I didn't care for XC either. I really liked my teammates so it was fun when we weren't running. :-b

that was in 2000. 1:52 in college is kind of like the 2:00 mark in high school. i ran one year of XC in high school and i kind of got drafted onto the XC team my soph. year in college. i liked my teammates as well but it was just too large of a bump up in mileage. there is a huge difference between running 800m and running 8-10k. i was definitely a middle distance runner and not a distance runner.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Zito is God » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:36 pm

If possible avoid creatine - still largely unknown.

Don't listen to this, please.

I have been lifting since junior high, but I only got into it hardcore about junior year of high school. For the past 4 years I have been to the gym about 5-6 times a week and have extreme gains and ridiculous results. Creatine is the safest supplement around and has been tested for about 20 years. Assuming you take creatine in the right dosage and stay hydrated you will get great boosts with no side-effects. I have used it for 4 years and have never had a side effect.

As far as supplements, you absolutely need whey protein if you are serious about this. You'll need a minimum of 120g of protein per day if you lift hard and you will not be able to achieve this consistently without whey. Creatine is amazing and works very well. Use it everyday, even on rest days in the morning. Only two problems I have found with creatine: A) Although studies show that your body cannot develop tolerance to creatine, I swear I have. When I started I used to feel like I was bouncing off the walls after I took it, all I wanted to do was pump iron and I had adrenaline at high levels through my workout. As years passed that feeling has been curbed. B) If you stop taking creatine, you will feel weaker (mentally) at the gym. I had days where I didn't even want to lift if I was out of creatine because I felt weaker without it. If you have anymore money, glutamine is amazing, but I can't afford all three and I take creatine over just about anything. One thing I recommend I staying away from Nitric Oxide, I tried it out based on recomendations from pro bodybuilders and after two doses I felt like my heart was going to tear apart.

As far as workouts go, remember, theres a difference between lean muscle and big gains. I assume you want gains cause pretty much all guys do. In this case, you need to do more weight, less times. Don't listen to this 12 rep BS, do 4 sets, 8 reps at the highest weight you can. I have excercises where I cut down to 6 reps at times. I read a very nice article which opened up my eyes a couple of years back (I used to do the whole 12 rep thing too, much less gains): The article simply stated that it is common sense to think that if your body can handle 240 reps (20 sets x 12 reps), you're just not doing enough weight and making it easy on yourself. If you're doing anything more then at most 150 reps on one muscle group per workout, you're just being easy on yourself.

If you have any other questions, I'm always here to help when it comes to this issue, I have been around the "business" for a long time now :).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Creatine is definitely a must for anyone who weight trains. And if you get it make sure it's Creatine Monohydrate not only because it's the cheapest, but because most of the studies are on creatine monohydrate.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:58 pm

Right now I'm following a crazy routine, but the results are definitely showing. I'm doing the Max-OT routine. Basically 1 body part a day, sets of 4-6 reps (the heaviest weight possible) and at most 5 exercises. The point of it is to have short explosive workouts.

http://www.ast-ss.com/
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RugbyD » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:Creatine is definitely a must for anyone who weight trains. And if you get it make sure it's Creatine Monohydrate not only because it's the cheapest, but because most of the studies are on creatine monohydrate.

I disagree. I've seen little difference in 2 very similar summers - one with creatine and one without. Also, a solid portion of monohydrate slides right through your system and is not absorbed - you're paying for what you get. It needs a buffer to acheive maximum absorption, which is why the effervescent version was created. Otherwise its pretty much the same base stuff.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk