Weightlifting and such - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Weightlifting and such

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Weightlifting and such

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:43 pm

So I'm back in the gym hardcore now. And it's been a solid experience. I've gained about 10 lbs this month and it's going well. The big change now is that I'm using supplements. I was pretty scared to try, but I decided I needed after lots of research to ahead with it. Right now I'm taking Multi Vitamins (MRM Beyond Basic), Fish Oil, Whey Protein (Optimum Nutrition), Casein Protein (Muscle Milk), and Creatine (EAS Phosphagen) and I'm happy with the results so far. Anybody doing anything similar? And what kind of routines are people doing? I'd love to share and try new things.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nsulham » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:54 pm

Ten pounds in a month is a nice haul. I've been at it almost 2 years now and I've only put on 25 but then again I'm your classic "hardgainer".

As far as supps go I stick to two protein shakes a day and the occasional creatine, although I'm slacking bigtime there. For a while when I was going big I was doing the flax oil, L-Glutamine, Vitamin C, Multivitamin, Calcium and Ultra Fuel for post-workouts.

A shortage in funds has cut that list drastically so now I stick to the basic protein and creatine.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:14 pm

I play high school football and I lift 4 times a week- I haven't started using anything but I'm thinking about getting into some protein. I'm kind of in a tricky situaton- I want to gain weight for next season because I'm a linebacker and I need to be big, but I also would like to get faster and lose some body fat. But I think protein would be a good choice to gain some muscle mass.

I don't like to mess around with stuff like creatine. I know some guys that take it but I personally don't because I'm not sure of what kind of health risks it could have.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RynMan » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:41 am

sportsaddict wrote:I play high school football and I lift 4 times a week- I haven't started using anything but I'm thinking about getting into some protein. I'm kind of in a tricky situaton- I want to gain weight for next season because I'm a linebacker and I need to be big, but I also would like to get faster and lose some body fat. But I think protein would be a good choice to gain some muscle mass.

I don't like to mess around with stuff like creatine. I know some guys that take it but I personally don't because I'm not sure of what kind of health risks it could have.

Yeah dude, the protein would be good. If you want to avoid excess weight, just make sure that you eat good foods and that you work out hard enough to exceed your caloric intake.

If possible avoid creatine - still largely unknown.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:02 pm

I used all sorts of stuff including creatine, EAS, MetRx, Ripped Fuel, etc... Never used steroids although a bunch of my buddies did a cycle or two.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby citybirds27 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:47 pm

I weight lift for track (sprinter) but I don't think ill ever take any "extra" stuff. I'm not a cheater. }:-) :-b
citybirds27
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 am

citybirds27 wrote:I weight lift for track (sprinter) but I don't think ill ever take any "extra" stuff. I'm not a cheater. }:-) :-b

You have disgraced me. I will never lend my advice or support to you Sprinter Trash.... }:-)

Hangover from high school...... :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:28 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
citybirds27 wrote:I weight lift for track (sprinter) but I don't think ill ever take any "extra" stuff. I'm not a cheater. }:-) :-b

You have disgraced me. I will never lend my advice or support to you Sprinter Trash.... }:-)

I think the most talented runners run the 800. That race has to be the most insane race known to man- its pretty much a combination of speed and endurance. Its pretty much just a sprint actually, but instead of 100 meters your going for 800 meters.
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:44 am

I've personally found the best workout for adding both tone and mass to be 3 sets of 10-12 reps. move up reps for the whole exercise once you can do all 3 sets; move up weight and drop down to 10 reps once you can do 3x12 at one weight. 60sec rest between sets, 120-180 between exercises. anally consistent rest is what makes this type of routine work b/c i wanted it to maximize every single minute i was working out. you'll always be lifting at your body's limits. i did 5-6 days per week.

regarding consumption, i never got into too much detail like bodybuilders would. i just made sure i took in ~1.5g of protien per pound of body weight spread out over the entire day over 5-6 'feedings'. 1 or 2 of these was usually a Myoplex shake. I did one summer with creatine (effervescent) and one without and didn't notice much difference. I put on 5+lb per month both times.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:33 am

sportsaddict wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:

I think the most talented runners run the 800. That race has to be the most insane race known to man- its pretty much a combination of speed and endurance. Its pretty much just a sprint actually, but instead of 100 meters your going for 800 meters.

It was a real wakeup call when I got into high school and noticed that they call the 800 the '800 meter dash'. I never broke 2 minutes in the event. My best was 2:01.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)

Next

Return to General Talk