Black friday. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Black friday.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:31 am

I have a cousin who works for Menards and she held out a couple things for us so we didn't have to be down there this weekend. I can stroll in tomorrow and get the same awesome deals that people waited hours for. I'm so cool. }:-) :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:46 am

Madison wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
Madison wrote:
daullaz wrote:I was reading some of the posts at the site that chadlincoln linked, and people were saying that Wal-Mart employees got first crack at the deals. In a lot of places, none of the best deals made it out to the public, employees snatching up all the goodies first.

If that's true, :-t to Wal-Mart.

I have no idea of that's true or not, but think about it for a minute. Each and every single Wal-Mart employee (and all retail employees) were required to work during the big sale hours. They could not go out and buy the things they wanted (and not every retail employee is married, or married to someone not in retail sales), so if they got first crack at something their own store was selling, I'm not going to say anything too bad about that.

i think somebody works at walmart :-?

Nope. Never worked for Wal-Mart and no family members have ever worked there. Not that there's anything wrong with working for Wal-Mart of course.

I just see this and wonder why the thumbs down for Wal-Mart? What did the cashier or stock boy at Wal-Mart do that was so bad that they don't deserve to be able to buy something at a good deal? Bad enough that they are forced to work during all of it and missing out, but now the company is wrong for giving them the opportunity if their own store happens to have something they want at a good deal? I just don't get it.

It's not like we're talking about tax breaks for millionaires. We're talking about retail employees who don't make much money, being forced to miss the big sales or lose their jobs. I don't see a huge problem with Wal-Mart or any other retail company giving their employees an opportunity to get something, rather than miss out completely on everything. Does anyone want to work at Wal-Mart now just so they can get a crack at the stuff early? Of course not. This isn't that big of a deal.

I wouldn't mind the employees getting good deals if the store has enough stock for the public. But some of these stores only carry a low quantity of products with the best deals. If employees snatch up ALL of the stock, it's not fair to the people that come to the store because of that specific deal that was advertised.

If there's 50 of something, let the employees get 10 of them, that's fine. But if there's five of something and the employees buy all five before the store opens, don't you think there's something wrong with that?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:04 am

daullaz wrote:
Madison wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
Madison wrote:
daullaz wrote:I was reading some of the posts at the site that chadlincoln linked, and people were saying that Wal-Mart employees got first crack at the deals. In a lot of places, none of the best deals made it out to the public, employees snatching up all the goodies first.

I have no idea of that's true or not, but think about it for a minute. Each and every single Wal-Mart employee (and all retail employees) were required to work during the big sale hours. They could not go out and buy the things they wanted (and not every retail employee is married, or married to someone not in retail sales), so if they got first crack at something their own store was selling, I'm not going to say anything too bad about that.

Nope. Never worked for Wal-Mart and no family members have ever worked there. Not that there's anything wrong with working for Wal-Mart of course.

I just see this and wonder why the thumbs down for Wal-Mart? What did the cashier or stock boy at Wal-Mart do that was so bad that they don't deserve to be able to buy something at a good deal? Bad enough that they are forced to work during all of it and missing out, but now the company is wrong for giving them the opportunity if their own store happens to have something they want at a good deal? I just don't get it.

It's not like we're talking about tax breaks for millionaires. We're talking about retail employees who don't make much money, being forced to miss the big sales or lose their jobs. I don't see a huge problem with Wal-Mart or any other retail company giving their employees an opportunity to get something, rather than miss out completely on everything. Does anyone want to work at Wal-Mart now just so they can get a crack at the stuff early? Of course not. This isn't that big of a deal.

I wouldn't mind the employees getting good deals if the store has enough stock for the public. But some of these stores only carry a low quantity of products with the best deals. If employees snatch up ALL of the stock, it's not fair to the people that come to the store because of that specific deal that was advertised.

If there's 50 of something, let the employees get 10 of them, that's fine. But if there's five of something and the employees buy all five before the store opens, don't you think there's something wrong with that?

I don't see anything wrong with that. The public isn't owed anything. If you don't like that Walmart gives first crack to its employees then go shop at another store.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:06 am

well this type of situation just came up for me personally...i camped out at a kmart for ps3's and after hours of them telling us they werent sure how many there were, they finally revealed that there were 2 systems, however another employee who worked there who i became friendly with since i saw him over and over again said they had at least 5 of them and saw them in the back room...now i dont know who got the other ps3's but i thought it was a pretty shady deal to say the least.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:09 am

Snakes Gould wrote:well this type of situation just came up for me personally...i camped out at a kmart for ps3's and after hours of them telling us they werent sure how many there were, they finally revealed that there were 2 systems, however another employee who worked there who i became friendly with since i saw him over and over again said they had at least 5 of them and saw them in the back room...now i dont know who got the other ps3's but i thought it was a pretty shady deal to say the least.
'

I can't believe K-Mart had any... I figured they just sold Wal-Mart leftovers now. :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:17 am

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:well this type of situation just came up for me personally...i camped out at a kmart for ps3's and after hours of them telling us they werent sure how many there were, they finally revealed that there were 2 systems, however another employee who worked there who i became friendly with since i saw him over and over again said they had at least 5 of them and saw them in the back room...now i dont know who got the other ps3's but i thought it was a pretty shady deal to say the least.
'

I can't believe K-Mart had any... I figured they just sold Wal-Mart leftovers now. :-b

thats exactly the mindset i figured everyone else had, and thats why i chose there...first 2 people in line... (why do i feel like im only talking to you right now coppermine?)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:24 am

Snakes Gould wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
'

thats exactly the mindset i figured everyone else had, and thats why i chose there...first 2 people in line... (why do i feel like im only talking to you right now coppermine?)

It's 3:30 AM on the East Coast... I'm up... barely
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:46 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
daullaz wrote:
Madison wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
Madison wrote:

I don't see anything wrong with that. The public isn't owed anything. If you don't like that Walmart gives first crack to its employees then go shop at another store.

It's wrong if they advertise a deal to the public, and the public doesn't get a chance at that deal. BTW, I wasn't affected by this at all; I had just read it at the linked website on this thread.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:54 pm

daullaz wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:
daullaz wrote:
Madison wrote:
Old_Style wrote:
Madison wrote:

It's wrong if they advertise a deal to the public, and the public doesn't get a chance at that deal. BTW, I wasn't affected by this at all; I had just read it at the linked website on this thread.

I agree with this on at least some level. If a store purposely misleads consumers just to get them in the door, then that is wrong. However, if they advertise something, then get in a limited quantity and the public happens to not get a crack at it, while unfortunate, isn't the end of the world.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:22 pm

daullaz wrote:I wouldn't mind the employees getting good deals if the store has enough stock for the public. But some of these stores only carry a low quantity of products with the best deals. If employees snatch up ALL of the stock, it's not fair to the people that come to the store because of that specific deal that was advertised.

I agree that the stores shouldn't go overboard with it. Like in your example, if they've got 5, all 5 shouldn't go to employees.

Something to remember though is that any store that does go overboard will lose sales, as the customers know they won't be able to get what they want at that particular store. Which means they won't go there next year. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk