Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:43 am

No wonder JD wanted to test the market... What will he get if GMJ just got a 10/yr contract with a no-trade clause? :-o
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyanK » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:21 pm

Yoda wrote:No wonder JD wanted to test the market... What will he get if GMJ just got a 10/yr contract with a no-trade clause? :-o

5 year deal, 18 mill a year
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:47 pm

BritSox wrote:
wrveres wrote:LMAO ... they .. lol ..lol they gave him a lol...lol... they gave him a no trade clause too .... LMAO!!! :-D :-D

They gave him a five year, $50m contract. How on earth are they going to trade that if he tanks?

I think that's what's meant by a, "partial no-trade clause". :-D
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:51 pm

Anyone else hoping that their franchises just decide to take this offseason off? The market right now is crazy: I'd rather the Sox just sit on the sidelines, maybe make a trade or two, than saddle themselves with a big, long-term contract that may be market value next year, but could just end up being the outlier equivalent of the Manny/Jeter/Rodriguez deals. Except not with the good players part.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Matthias wrote:Anyone else hoping that their franchises just decide to take this offseason off? The market right now is crazy: I'd rather the Sox just sit on the sidelines, maybe make a trade or two, than saddle themselves with a big, long-term contract that may be market value next year, but could just end up being the outlier equivalent of the Manny/Jeter/Rodriguez deals. Except not with the good players part.

I definitely hear you on this one.I pray that Lilly/Meche et al are off the market soon so I don't to have to worry about the Yankees signing one of these guys.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby zepfan » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:02 pm

Wow, that is crazy. Still, this actually makes me feel a lot better about the Frank Thomas signing. I guess the market is changing quickly.

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Armed and Hammered » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Matthias wrote:Anyone else hoping that their franchises just decide to take this offseason off? The market right now is crazy

I wish my team had the luxury, but SF wouldn't be able to field a team at this point. They will overpay someone again, just like they did for Matt Morris last year. I'm holding my breath every time a signing is announced.
Armed and Hammered
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mweir145 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:51 pm

zepfan wrote:Wow, that is crazy. Still, this actually makes me feel a lot better about the Frank Thomas signing. I guess the market is changing quickly.

I said right when that deal happened it might turn out to be a bargain when the offseason is said and done. And as it turns out, it already looks like a bargain, and we aren't even into December yet. Setting the market with the first major FA hitter signing turned out to be a very good move.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:56 pm

StarsNPinstripes wrote:
Matthias wrote:Anyone else hoping that their franchises just decide to take this offseason off? The market right now is crazy: I'd rather the Sox just sit on the sidelines, maybe make a trade or two, than saddle themselves with a big, long-term contract that may be market value next year, but could just end up being the outlier equivalent of the Manny/Jeter/Rodriguez deals. Except not with the good players part.

I definitely hear you on this one.I pray that Lilly/Meche et al are off the market soon so I don't to have to worry about the Yankees signing one of these guys.

It's crazy that Ted Lilly might actually get a 4 year/40 million dollar deal. Over his 3 years with the Jays, there really weren't many things that impressed me about him other than his ability to beat the Red Sox at will. The guy is a decent pitcher that's slightly above league-average, but he'll never be anything more. Have the GMs that are offering him this kind of money actually watched him pitch? :-o

The sad thing is, he's actually a guy the Jays are trying to resign, just because they don't have a real #3 pitcher, and because you can rely on him for a 4.50 ERA in the AL East.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:25 pm

I think Lilly's stuff is better than his production. Granted he'll be 31 so I'm not sure it's likely he improves dramatically but I do think if you move him to a pitcher-friendly park in the NL he could post some very nice numbers. Lilly is not great but considering the market, if you need a pitcher giving $40M doesn't seem that horrible to me. I'd like the Mets to take a chance on him. I think the Horse Whisperer could work wonders although I'd rather it be more like 3 years and $8M. Probably not likely in this market.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers