Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby greenandgold » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Cleveland Steamers wrote:This makes the Cubs signings look better.

Aramis for $15 mil/year
Soriano for $17mil/year

now

a 32-33 year old G.Mathews for $10 mil/year...

This makes the Cubs signings look much much better.

I know defense is underrated around here but at least Matthews can play solid CF. That said, he sure picked a good time to have his career year.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:21 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:Damn. I was kinda hoping they'd get stuck without a CF and be forced to trade for Andruw. Something like Santana + others, and they sign Andruw to an extension.

Oh well. CFs who can hit are expensive, so I don't think this is that bad. Certainly not nearly as bad as the Pierre deal!

Pierre at least has a solid track record. He'll get on base and swipe bags. Matthews has had one good season.

I think the Dodgers GM is a Jay-Z fan. If Jigga gives you a shout out in a song, that automically doubles your value. Look it up.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby soxfan364 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 pm

The owners are going crazy....!!!
soxfan364
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:34 pm

daullaz wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:Damn. I was kinda hoping they'd get stuck without a CF and be forced to trade for Andruw. Something like Santana + others, and they sign Andruw to an extension.

Oh well. CFs who can hit are expensive, so I don't think this is that bad. Certainly not nearly as bad as the Pierre deal!

Pierre at least has a solid track record. He'll get on base and swipe bags. Matthews has had one good season.

I think the Dodgers GM is a Jay-Z fan. If Jigga gives you a shout out in a song, that automically doubles your value. Look it up.

hilarious
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BUCCOFAN » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:43 pm

This is insane, what is going on with MLB? we may all look back on the free agent class of 2007 as the ones that ruined the sport, if it isn't ruined already.

LA Angels, just paid $50 million for a 32-year old guy that has had one good year in 11 seasons, has been placed on waivers by other teams 3 times, is on his 7th team, has a career .263 BA, 78 career homers.

Teams He has played for, and been cut by.

Orioles
Rockies
Jays
Royals
Mariners
Cubs
Brewers
Pirates
Nationals
Last edited by BUCCOFAN on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUCCOFAN
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 279)

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:58 pm

I'm also concerned about the impact on Chone Figgins, and his spot in the batting order in particular. Will chone leadoff, he's useless to me if they bat him at the bottom of the order.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:13 pm

HA HA angels. we both got overpriced center fielders now! trying to copy the dodgers by stealing our city name and now overpaying CFs.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:17 pm

BUCCOFAN wrote:This is insane, what is going on with MLB? we may all look back on the free agent class of 2007 as the ones that ruined the sport, if it isn't ruined already.

LA Angels, just paid $50 million for a 32-year old guy that has had one good year in 11 seasons, has been placed on waivers by other teams 3 times, is on his 7th team, has a career .263 BA, 78 career homers.

Teams He has played for, and been cut by.

Orioles
Rockies
Devil Rays
Royals
Mariners
Cubs
Brewers
Pirates
Nationals

I'm not sure he was ever with some of those teams...

baseball-reference

June 3, 1993: Drafted by the San Diego Padres in the 13th round of the 1993 amateur draft. Player signed May 25, 1994.

March 23, 2000: Traded by the San Diego Padres to the Chicago Cubs for Rodney Myers.

August 10, 2001: Selected off waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates from the Chicago Cubs.

December 28, 2001: Purchased by the New York Mets from the Pittsburgh Pirates.

April 3, 2002: Traded by the New York Mets to the Baltimore Orioles for John Bale.

May 23, 2003: Selected off waivers by the San Diego Padres from the Baltimore Orioles.

November 24, 2003: Selected off waivers by the Atlanta Braves from the San Diego Padres.

April 2, 2004: Released by the Atlanta Braves.

April 8, 2004: Signed as a Free Agent with the Texas Rangers.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby IllinoisBandit » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:27 pm

Philliebuster wrote:I'm also concerned about the impact on Chone Figgins, and his spot in the batting order in particular. Will chone leadoff, he's useless to me if they bat him at the bottom of the order.

As far as fantays value goes, you've got to hope for a trade with Chone. Any Angels homers? Does he even have a spot? Could he be relegated yo a part-time role?
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:33 pm

I'd rather have Pierre and his new contract AND Soriano and his new contract before I would pay 10 mil for Matthews!!!!!

This is really disappointing to see what is going on with MLB.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 361)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers