Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Angels sign Gary Matthews 5/$10M

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WyldStallyn » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:22 pm

have the gm's all lost their minds? his career avg is .263. career ops is .755. this makes mannys and arods contracts look normal
WyldStallyn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bucksox » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:23 pm

wow that's a lot of coin for GAry. Do you think this pokes holes in the rumors of Manny to the Angels now?
bucksox
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby joeg24 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:25 pm

Wow... that's a lot... hoepfully for the Angels case, the ballpark and contract year weren't that much of a factor. I wonder how much that one catch got him?
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:27 pm

bucksox wrote:wow that's a lot of coin for GAry. Do you think this pokes holes in the rumors of Manny to the Angels now?

Probably but these deals should get a whole lot of new teams interested trading for Manny. Who in their right mind wouldn't pony up $7 million a year more to get Manny instead of Matthews?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:28 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Yoda wrote:This deal reminds me of Halos signing Steve Finley a few years back.
Come on. So the Angels had one bad signing at CF before, it isn't like they signed Erstad to some outrageously bad deal too. :-D

Or GA... or Salmon... :-B
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Damn. I was kinda hoping they'd get stuck without a CF and be forced to trade for Andruw. Something like Santana + others, and they sign Andruw to an extension.

Oh well. CFs who can hit are expensive, so I don't think this is that bad. Certainly not nearly as bad as the Pierre deal!
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:8-o I can only imagine next year when Vernon Wells is a FA.

The Jays better trade him by July because they certainly don't have the payroll space to resign him.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Damn. I was kinda hoping they'd get stuck without a CF and be forced to trade for Andruw. Something like Santana + others, and they sign Andruw to an extension.

Oh well. CFs who can hit are expensive, so I don't think this is that bad. Certainly not nearly as bad as the Pierre deal!

Pierre at least has a solid track record. He'll get on base and swipe bags. Matthews has had one good season.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm

Wow, that's disgusting. It's things like these that really make you wonder how people get hired to be a GM. I mean, I understand part of it is making a splash and making the fan base see that you're making an effort to improve the team. But is there really anyone out there who believes that what Matthews did in '06 is at all representative of his real ability?

This isn't even comparable to the Pierre signing, where you could at least argue that even if some people don't believe Pierre is worth $9m a year, there are those who argue that his poor OPS doesn't properly reflect his true value as a leadoff man, etc...but I just really don't see how anyone could think paying Gary Matthews, Jr. $50 million could possibly be a good idea.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:48 pm

George_Foreman wrote:Oh well. CFs who can hit are expensive, so I don't think this is that bad. Certainly not nearly as bad as the Pierre deal!

I disagree. Matthews had a .866 OPS in a hitter's heaven with a stacked lineup at age 32, in his first full season. This deal is worse than Pierre's.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers