Kramer losses his mind - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Kramer losses his mind

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cordscords » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:52 am

cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 4343
(Past Year: 20)
Joined: 23 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:21 am

CadensDad wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Segregation is still happening.

Ever heard of the United Negro College Fund?
the NAACP?
How about many of these black colleges? Fort Valley State? Tuskegee University, Booker T Washington School?

I live in the south born and raised in Alabama I live in Alabama and work just across the line in Georgia.

The word Nigger has NOTHING to do with the color of one's skin. It's a attitude, a appearence, a action or group of actions. I am a white man and have many black freinds. Some of which who often discuss this same issue with me.

In the same token the word Cracker or Honky has nothing to do with the color of ones skin either.

If I call the white kids in my apartment complex a bunch of niggers because they spray paint on the side of buildings, break into peoples cars and throw rocks at windows do they get upset?..... No they dont.
So if I go and call a bunch of black kids Crackers for doing the same stuff do they get upset? No.

The words are just words. It doesnt mean hate or racist. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with actions.


you're so out of touch with reality. like really, i dont think you understand how society works whatsoever.


Care to explain your thoughts on me or just make random comments?


the word nigger has everything to do with race...if you call a bunch of white kids niggers for spray painting on the wall (maybe not to you) but to society, you are basically saying they are doing "black" things. whether its right or wrong, thats the way most people are going to look at it. the word cracker doesnt affect white people the way nigger affects black people because of slavery. most of the time, i think people are way too overly sensitive about race in america, but comments like you made just seem very ignorant to me. dont take what im saying offensive, and this was the reason why i didnt want to explain myself really, because conversations like this usually get people all worked up....
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

Postby ThatDude » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:57 am

Snakes Gould wrote:the word cracker doesnt affect white people the way nigger affects black people because of slavery


It doesn't matter if it affects people differently, both are used in the exact same way.

As far as I'm concerned, a black person calling a white person a cracker is absolutely no different than a white person calling a black person a nigger. The intent behind the words is identical, to insult and offend.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:25 am

ThatDude wrote:It doesn't matter if it affects people differently, both are used in the exact same way.

As far as I'm concerned, a black person calling a white person a cracker is absolutely no different than a white person calling a black person a nigger. The intent behind the words is identical, to insult and offend.

I agree with that 100%, but double standards are very much the norm in many places in our society. I've learned to accept that.
Image
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 11508
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Unincorporated Heaven

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:31 pm

I do like the fact that, finally, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are saying "Lets stop saying nigger all together." Everyone stop not just whites but blacks also
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby CadensDad » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
CadensDad wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
CadensDad wrote:Segregation is still happening.

Ever heard of the United Negro College Fund?
the NAACP?
How about many of these black colleges? Fort Valley State? Tuskegee University, Booker T Washington School?

I live in the south born and raised in Alabama I live in Alabama and work just across the line in Georgia.

The word Nigger has NOTHING to do with the color of one's skin. It's a attitude, a appearence, a action or group of actions. I am a white man and have many black freinds. Some of which who often discuss this same issue with me.

In the same token the word Cracker or Honky has nothing to do with the color of ones skin either.

If I call the white kids in my apartment complex a bunch of niggers because they spray paint on the side of buildings, break into peoples cars and throw rocks at windows do they get upset?..... No they dont.
So if I go and call a bunch of black kids Crackers for doing the same stuff do they get upset? No.

The words are just words. It doesnt mean hate or racist. It has nothing to do with color. It has to do with actions.


you're so out of touch with reality. like really, i dont think you understand how society works whatsoever.


Care to explain your thoughts on me or just make random comments?


the word nigger has everything to do with race...if you call a bunch of white kids niggers for spray painting on the wall (maybe not to you) but to society, you are basically saying they are doing "black" things. whether its right or wrong, thats the way most people are going to look at it. the word cracker doesnt affect white people the way nigger affects black people because of slavery. most of the time, i think people are way too overly sensitive about race in america, but comments like you made just seem very ignorant to me. dont take what im saying offensive, and this was the reason why i didnt want to explain myself really, because conversations like this usually get people all worked up....


Well don't worry it will take alot more than that to get me worked up. I'm married to a women who thinks it's fun to argue....... With that being said. Who made the word "nigger" mean black? (I honestly have no clue on this if someone know's where the word started at it'd be great.)

Should you have to suffer in life because your great grand father was a KKK member? No you shouldn't. So should they get speical treatment because they had a great great great great granddaddy who was in slavery?....... No they shouldn't

I think as a country we all need to get out of the 1800's and get into the 2000's and relize that was history and the effects are not here anymore except for the effects many people keep coming.
Image

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 5977
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:39 pm

CadensDad wrote:I'm married to a women who thinks it's fun to argue...


:) I think all women like to argue
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:45 pm

CadensDad wrote:With that being said. Who made the word "nigger" mean black? (I honestly have no clue on this if someone know's where the word started at it'd be great.)


It comes from the Spanish negro via the Latin niger, which means, literally, black.


CadensDad wrote:I think as a country we all need to get out of the 1800's and get into the 2000's and relize that was history and the effects are not here anymore except for the effects many people keep coming.


I'm not sure what you mean by "not here anymore except for the effects many people keep coming," but the effects of slavery are not gone. And it's not as if slavery as an institution was that long ago, or as if mistreatment of blacks ended in the 1800s.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:50 pm

Nigger is a slur term used to refer to dark-skinned peoples, especially people of African ancestry. Although sometimes used by black people themselves (especially those who feel an affinity for hip hop culture) as a somewhat self-deprecating term that is suggestive of familiarity and endearment, the word is most often regarded as offensive.

At the time of the Atlantic slave trade, nigger was a casual English language term for black people. The word later became associated with an overt contempt, a racist assumption of inherent black inferiority, making it extremely pejorative.


No matter how you cut it, the word is low-brow, insulting and inappropriate. I don't care if you don't like being called a "cracker" or a "honky;"

The word "honky" as a pejorative for caucasians comes from "bohunk" and "hunky". In the early 1900's, these were derogatory terms for Bohemian, Hungarian, and Polish immigrants. According to Robert Hendrickson, author of the Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, Black workers in Chicago meat-packing plants picked up the term from white workers and began applying it indiscriminately to all Caucasians.

Honky, was later adopted as a pejorative meaning white, in 1967 by black militants within SNCC seeking a rebuttal for the term nigger. They settled on a familiar word they felt was disparaging to certain Americans of European descent; hunkie meaning an American of Slavic or Hungarian descent.


Honestly though, i can't think of a good reason for stooping to the level of using any racial slur in a belligerent manner.

I feel like the only people who use are in some sort of a position to not have their ass kicked.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:54 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:the word cracker doesnt affect white people the way nigger affects black people because of slavery


It doesn't matter if it affects people differently, both are used in the exact same way.

As far as I'm concerned, a black person calling a white person a cracker is absolutely no different than a white person calling a black person a nigger. The intent behind the words is identical, to insult and offend.


i completely disagree...i see exactly what you're saying and if you completely take it out of context, then sure it would work like that...but everyone knows the history behind the word nigger and knows that its going to get a much bigger reaction then just saying cracker or honky...im not saying using cracker or honky is ok, by no means do i mean that, but it doesnt offend me in the least...
Image

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16051
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 1 Nov 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Eternal Bliss

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact