Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:chalk me up for moving to canada...heres an idea...how about all these people who are in jail for carrying weapons illegally and shooting people are automatically drafted into the military...sounds good to me...almost 400 murders in philadelphia so far this year...over 1 a day...pretty crazy if you ask me...

Its almost a good idea. except murders would probably continue murdering people over there innocent bystanders and all

whether this is wrong or not, i rather it be iraqi bystanders than american bystanders and i rather it be them than me...call me selfish...i dont care B-)

Ha, the Iraqi's don't even want us in Iraq, even if it's their funeral. At least 100,000 Iraqi civilian casualties since the start of the war (estimated)?

100,000 Iraqis = 3,000 buisness men and women its fact determined by the GOP. Besides the Iraqis did blow up our buildings remember
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:57 pm

RugbyD wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:chalk me up for moving to canada...heres an idea...how about all these people who are in jail for carrying weapons illegally and shooting people are automatically drafted into the military...sounds good to me...almost 400 murders in philadelphia so far this year...over 1 a day...pretty crazy if you ask me...

Its almost a good idea. except murders would probably continue murdering people over there innocent bystanders and all

whether this is wrong or not, i rather it be iraqi bystanders than american bystanders and i rather it be them than me...call me selfish...i dont care B-)

Ha, the Iraqi's don't even want us in Iraq.

depends on which ones you talk to, varies neighborhood to neighborhood

71% of the Iraqi people want us gone.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pablo975 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:23 pm

Speaking as a veteran, I'll say this: There is no way a draft goes through.

But, I do think that America should have an Israeli-esque type of program. A LOT of people who served in the military will tell you that their service opened their eyes to the way the world works and made them grow up quite a bit.

I'd like to see a compulsory service system for all Americans when they turn 18. A 3 year term in the military, or 4 years in a not-for-profit social service/educational/enviromental/AmeriCorp/Peace Corp/Red Cross type of program. If the individual wanted to remain with that service after that, they can re-up for more time or just leave and begin their private adult life.

That way, people couldn't use the conscientious objector route just to dodge serving their country. Don't wanna go to basic or carry a weapon? Fine, serve meals an teach job skills to the homeless, work disaster relief, help a child learn to read, save a rain forest, etc, etc.

And, a lot of people just ARE NOT military material, regardless of what the pamphlets and recruiters might say. Some folks just don't like the rah rah military thing. But this way, everyone could serve their country and be proud of what they've done.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:30 pm

Pablo975 wrote:Speaking as a veteran, I'll say this: There is no way a draft goes through.

But, I do think that America should have an Israeli-esque type of program. A LOT of people who served in the military will tell you that their service opened their eyes to the way the world works and made them grow up quite a bit.

I'd like to see a compulsory service system for all Americans when they turn 18. A 3 year term in the military, or 4 years in a not-for-profit social service/educational/enviromental/AmeriCorp/Peace Corp/Red Cross type of program. If the individual wanted to remain with that service after that, they can re-up for more time or just leave and begin their private adult life.

That way, people couldn't use the conscientious objector route just to dodge serving their country. Don't wanna go to basic or carry a weapon? Fine, serve meals an teach job skills to the homeless, work disaster relief, help a child learn to read, save a rain forest, etc, etc.

And, a lot of people just ARE NOT military material, regardless of what the pamphlets and recruiters might say. Some folks just don't like the rah rah military thing. But this way, everyone could serve their country and be proud of what they've done.

ill pass on that idea. i mean hell, wasnt our country formed for the freedom to basically do whatever you want? i want to be able to decide my future and not have some moron as a president do it for me...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:44 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Pablo975 wrote:Speaking as a veteran, I'll say this: There is no way a draft goes through.

ill pass on that idea. i mean hell, wasnt our country formed for the freedom to basically do whatever you want? i want to be able to decide my future and not have some moron as a president do it for me...

I agree with Snakes on this one, partially, but I can definitely see the positive in what Pablo suggested. A great number of young men could learn a lot by serving, but I believe it should be by choice. Again, though, I don't believe you would necessarily be serving the administration, but your country and fellow soldiers.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:07 am

the country was founded on the idea that coercion by the state was a bad idea, let's keep it that way. there's no reason private pursuits can't be just as worthwhile as a public one.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:30 am

RugbyD wrote:

the country was founded on the idea that coercion by the state was a bad idea, let's keep it that way. there's no reason private pursuits can't be just as worthwhile as a public one.

Is coercion the right word? Are we coerced in to obeying laws?
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:38 am

Snakes Gould wrote:ill pass on that idea. i mean hell, wasnt our country formed for the freedom to basically do whatever you want? i want to be able to decide my future and not have some moron as a president do it for me...

....formed for the freedom to basically do what you want with respect to others. The 'swing your arms freely without hitting anyone else' expression illustrates this well for me.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:40 pm

well of course with respect to others, but who am i disrespecting by choosing not to go to war, the other soldiers? im sure they wouldnt want people there who arent willing either...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:34 pm

I wouldn't say that you are 'disrespecting the soldiers'. The only people you are disrespecting are ChickenHawks like Bush, Rumsfeld, and their supporters who have insisted that there is something worth fighting for in "Iraq"*

*= as I have blathered elsewhere, the people indigenous to Iraq don't really consider Iraq much of anything, as their ties are to religious sects (eg Sunni/ Shiite/ Christians) or ethnic groups (Kurds). Iraq was put together by the British out of the remains of the Ottoman empire, as a convention to give the UK 1) Oil, which had been identified near Mosul and 2) a port from which to ship the oil out of the area.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk