Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Callahan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:33 pm

I think the draft wouldn't be a bad idea. Not because it will help us win this stupid war (which could be a nice side effect anyway... ;-D ) but because it might force civic engagement from people who ordinarily don't pay attention. Imagine some guy who doesn't pay attention to politics, doesn't vote, couldn't care less. Then imagine his kid is drafted; that guy is going to pay attention a lot more. Maybe it helps us avoid rushing into unnecessary wars, and saves us for the wars that really matter. It might up the level of public debate, at least above the level of these twits who say "Support the President or you're a traitor!" An American who doesn't question his leaders is a failed American, says I.

Plus, you can't deny that military service can be a real character-builder. I've read somewhere that Israel (I think) has a year of compulsory service for every citizen, be it regular military or national guard or somewhere else. I don't know, I think it could have definite benefit.

On the other hand, if we were to implement a draft now, it could fan the anti-war fires enough to lead us to do something stupid, like pull out of Iraq next week.

Anyway, I realize this is a moot point, because the bill is just a political ploy to begin with.
[i]"I think if Norman Rockwell were alive, the guy that he would paint more than anyone else would be David Eckstein." ~McCarver[/i]
Callahan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:56 pm

Rangel has seen both houses get a majority. He might have his finger on the pulse of Congress. Perhaps he knows there is a real shot to get this past.

If it did pass I feel that the dumbed down youth of today would do whatever it takes to avoid the draft. Meaning 'hello Canada!!!'

Blowing up stuff on PS3 is fun and all but when the other guy is shooting back? "Well, f**k that, man!"
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby suppasonic » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:40 pm

No. There is obviously no chance the draft bill gets passed. Rangel wants to show how burdened our nations army is, and how it is unproportionally filled with minorities and low-income families. Anyone who passed this would be commiting political suicide. Especially since the draft calls for no provisions for college students and very little leeway for COs.

We have an 100% all volunteer army and its going to remain that way. No politician in their right mind would vote for a draft, especially at this time.

""I don't expect my bill to pass; my purpose in introducing this legislation is for it to serve as a constant reminder that we have lost 2,200 of the best, brightest and bravest Americans, have had thousands more maimed, and countless Iraqi citizens killed. As the President speaks of a national response involving the military option, military service should be a shared sacrifice. Right now the only people being asked to sacrifice in any way are those men and women who with limited options chose military service and now find themselves in harm's way in Iraq. A draft would ensure that every economic group would have to do their share, and not allow some to stay behind while other people's children do the fighting."
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:20 pm

He also wants to expose the Republican "Hawks" as "ChickenHawks" who, while they talk tough, will not take the step that the Army itself feels the nation as a whole would have to do to win the war. It's not as if we are really in danger of losing the war, as there is no military on earth who can match up w/ us in a straight fight, but an army of occupation needs to be bigger than 100,000 or so troops for a country the size of Iraq. W/ our current level of commitment, we are pretty much set up for a quasi medival siege scenario straight out of Ivanhoe.

This seems like a reasonably effective political tactic to take some of the wind out of the sails of the Republicans and get them to have to vote on this issue well before the next round of elections. Then, when they pull out their 'flip flopper' and 'swiftboat' shenanigans, the Democrats will have some decent ammo that should make sense to many voters and expose the Republicans as flip floppers themselves.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby roninmedia » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:42 am

Callahan wrote:Plus, you can't deny that military service can be a real character-builder. I've read somewhere that Israel (I think) has a year of compulsory service for every citizen, be it regular military or national guard or somewhere else. I don't know, I think it could have definite benefit.

Other countries seem to believe that. Not 100% compulsory, always exceptions, you know.

Austria - 18-35 males, 6 months
Belarus - 18-27 males, 12 or 18 months
Finland - I know it's 6 months for males, not sure what age.
Germany - 18-37 males, 9 months
Egypt - Males, up to 4 years. And if you don't serve, you can never hold public office.
I know Israel is 3 years for men and 2 years for women.

How about Heinlein and Starship troopers where citizenship and its benefits are given to those who serve in the military.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:24 am

chalk me up for moving to canada...heres an idea...how about all these people who are in jail for carrying weapons illegally and shooting people are automatically drafted into the military...sounds good to me...almost 400 murders in philadelphia so far this year...over 1 a day...pretty crazy if you ask me...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:53 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:chalk me up for moving to canada...heres an idea...how about all these people who are in jail for carrying weapons illegally and shooting people are automatically drafted into the military...sounds good to me...almost 400 murders in philadelphia so far this year...over 1 a day...pretty crazy if you ask me...

Its almost a good idea. except murders would probably continue murdering people over there innocent bystanders and all
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:27 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:chalk me up for moving to canada...heres an idea...how about all these people who are in jail for carrying weapons illegally and shooting people are automatically drafted into the military...sounds good to me...almost 400 murders in philadelphia so far this year...over 1 a day...pretty crazy if you ask me...

Its almost a good idea. except murders would probably continue murdering people over there innocent bystanders and all

whether this is wrong or not, i rather it be iraqi bystanders than american bystanders and i rather it be them than me...call me selfish...i dont care B-)

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:54 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

whether this is wrong or not, i rather it be iraqi bystanders than american bystanders and i rather it be them than me...call me selfish...i dont care B-)

Ha, the Iraqi's don't even want us in Iraq, even if it's their funeral. At least 100,000 Iraqi civilian casualties since the start of the war (estimated)?

Last edited by Coppermine on Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:56 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Ha, the Iraqi's don't even want us in Iraq.

depends on which ones you talk to, varies neighborhood to neighborhood
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk