Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Congressmen Proposes Reinstatement of Military Draft

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:34 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,230712,00.html

A senior House Democrat said Sunday he will introduce legislation to reinstate the military draft, asserting that current troop levels are insufficient to sustain possible challenges against Iran, North Korea and Iraq.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," said Rep. Charles Rangel, D-N.Y.

Initially this seems nuts, but I'm not sure I understand all of the variables well enough.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby slomo007 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:44 pm

So he wants to reinstate the draft, in order to scare the country in to thinking we need to pull our troops out now? :-t
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 pm

We need bare minimum 50,000 more troops just for Iraq and this administration is posturing towards Iran and North Korea. The military just did a back-door draft recruiting men who have already served and are out of the military. Why do we keep asking those who have given the most to keep giving more?

It seems to me that if a congressman supports the war in Iraq then he has to support a draft. The only way we can salvage anything at this point requires far more soldiers than we have.

Of course, the bill won't pass. Too many congressmen are more concerned about their own job than the lives of the servicemen in Iraq.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:48 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Of course, the bill won't pass. Too many congressmen are more concerned about their own job than the lives of the servicemen in Iraq.

I've heard about 70% of American voters oppose a military draft.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 pm

slomo007 wrote:So he wants to reinstate the draft, in order to scare the country in to thinking we need to pull our troops out now? :-t

I agree with Slomo 0% of the time...That percentage has just went up.

This is stupid of him and waste of frickin time and money!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:50 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:Of course, the bill won't pass. Too many congressmen are more concerned about their own job than the lives of the servicemen in Iraq.

Oh, absolutely. But we cannot win without more troops. There can be no question about that.

And it has nothing to do with "scaring" anyone, of course. It's a way to point out the hypocricy of those congressmen who claim to "support the troops" but refuse to send any help.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:51 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

Oh, absolutely. But we cannot win without more troops. There can be no question about that.

And it has nothing to do with "scaring" anyone, of course. It's a way to point out the hypocricy of those congressmen who claim to "support the troops" but refuse to send any help.

I agree its a way to point out hypocricy but who cares. We all know things are screwed up. lets do something about it it rather then the old "I told you so, see I'm right," Tactic....

I try the same thing with more girlfriend and yea it doesn't help at all
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:54 pm

acsguitar wrote:
slomo007 wrote:So he wants to reinstate the draft, in order to scare the country in to thinking we need to pull our troops out now? :-t

I agree with Slomo 0% of the time...That percentage has just went up.

This is stupid of him and waste of frickin time and money!!

It sounds like he thinks the quickest way to get out of Iraq is to send an influx of troops over for a smaller amount of time rather than dragging the war on with the current circumstances.

At least a Democrat is trying an aggressive, proactive approach in this sense.[/i]
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:00 pm

You guys must not know Charlie Rangel very well. He did this in 2003 too. Conservative publications take this and spin with headlines like "Draft May Be Coming Courtesy of the Democrats." The idea isn't to institute a draft, but to wake people up to what he believes is the hypocricy of the administration's stance on the war. This is just how it is, and it's laid out quite clearly in any publication other than Fox News.

``There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way,'' said Rangel, who is in line to become chairman of the Ways and Means Committee next year.

Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars.

Military leaders spoke out against reinstating the draft when Rangel introduced such legislation in January 2003, prior to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. Commanders such as Air Force General Richard Myers, then chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said the current volunteer force was better trained and capable than the conscripted troops in the past.

Rangel's proposal didn't gain widespread support when he first made it, and it was rejected by the House. He's reviving the legislation as lawmakers and some military commanders say the armed forces are being stretched thin by the war in Iraq.

``I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft,'' said Rangel, 76, an Army veteran who opposed the Iraq war. ``I think to do so is hypocritical.''

He's trying to get legislation passed in order to force us out of Iraq. His reasoning is that if the administration sent us to war with Iraq, and our troops are spread as thin as they are, then either they support the draft to continue the war in Iraq, or get out before it comes to that. He thinks that this will rally support against the war in light of a possible draft.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:18 pm

Funny, a draft has never prevented previous wars....
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk