Prospects...and lots of 'em - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Prospects...and lots of 'em

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospects...and lots of 'em

Postby King Bay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:31 am

Alright guys here the story...
I am in the midst of a prospect scouting binge and i am getting more hooked with each passing day.
My thought is that it is never too early to begin preparing for next years season.
I joined the New England Rottisseree Baseball League in it's 18th year this past season.
It is an AL-only 4x4 lauction league with 12 teams and in my first year i finished ninth.
The outcome was partly because i packed it in and traded for prospects and minor league draft picks
We are allowed to keep 13 players and a total of 10 draft picks/minor leaguers.
Each team gets 3 draft picks and i ended up with 7 by seasons end.
I want to do as much as possible to enable myself to have a successful draft.
So that leads me to the reason why i am posting.
I am looking for people to go through this list of prospects and tell me your opinions of these players
Getting opinions from this community helps so much...thankyou
-
Curtis Thigpen
Kurt Suzuki
Bryan Lahair
Joel Guzman
Alexi Casilla
Yung Chi Chen
Jed Lowrie
Jeff Bianchi
Billy Rowell
Evan Longoria
Reid Brignac
Travis Buck
Travis Snider
Chris Lubanski
Denard Span
Wladimir Balentin
-
Kyle Yates
Tyler Clippard
Humberto Sanchez
Chuck Lofgren
Andrew Miller
Luke Hochevar
Kevin Slowey
Anthony Swarzak
Nick Adenhardt
Eric Hurley
Lance Broadway
Clay Buchholz
Jacob McGee
Wade Davis
baseball is a year round sport
King Bay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:31 am

Kurt Suzuki-think Jason Kendall minus the speed. Useful but not too useful for 12 teams league.
Alexi Casilla-2B for the Twins, has a shot to start soon. Speedy guy with high average but not much power.
Reid Brignac-Arguably the best SS offensively who has yet to get a call up.
Travis Buck-good defense, above average bat corner OF. Injury risk.(level: minor)
Humberto Sanchez-Big(phat?) SP with injury history. I'm not sure about him in AL East. At least he need to take 1 full year of complete awfulness to adjust IMO.
Luke Hochevar-the prototypical frontline starter when it comes to size and build, solid arsenal. So what's my concern? See: Colt Griffin, Chad Durbin, Chris George, Billy Bukner and other SP the Royals screw up.
Kevin Slowey-doesn't have great stuff, don't overrate him by stats.
Anthony Swarzak-best Twins pitching prospect(not counting Garza)
Nick Adenhart-TJ 2 years ago. Good stuff guy in the Angels system, could move up quickly.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: Prospects...and lots of 'em

Postby shortsavage » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:31 pm

Curtis Thigpen - Some question his arm, but I think Thigpen is athletic enough to remain at catcher. He'll hit for a soft .275+ in the majors. Not worth targeting in a league that's as shallow as yours.

Kurt Suzuki - Appears in line for a starting job in 2008 right now. I'd much rather have Suzuki than Thigpen.

Bryan Lahair - This is probably too much information.

Joel Guzman - ...isn't in line to make my top 100 list -- close, though.

Alexi Casilla - Not the type of player I'd consider in a league with only 12 teams.

Yung Chi Chen - Ditto -- don't get distracted by the steals...he has a lot to learn about swiping bags.

Jed Lowrie - You're targeting second basemen who project to be average big leaguers at best.

Jeff Bianchi - Not a big dot on my radar just yet.

Billy Rowell - The most talented player on this list so far. Rowell is already a top 50 prospect for me.

Evan Longoria - He could be in Tampa Bay by next season - great work ethic and focus. By the time Longoria gets called up, he'll likely be one of the top 10 prospects in the game.

Reid Brignac - I think Brignac has more potential than Troy Tulowitzki. He's a top 25 prospect for me.

Travis Buck - Just had surgery to repair a hernia. I like Buck but I wouldn't gamble on him right now.

Travis Snider - I think Snider will blaze through the minors like Billy Butler and become one of the games best prospects before he's 21.

Chris Lubanski - Worth a flier pick but that's about it at this point.

Hehe, I'm spent. I usually don't answer questions like this but some of the names on your list caught my eye.

EDIT: LaHair link fixed.
Last edited by shortsavage on Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby prhood » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:45 pm

I can't add too much but here's what I have:

Eric Hurley - agruably the best pitching prospect in the Texas system now - seems to have passed diamond, Danks and Volquez

Andrew Miller - hish pick in 2006 by Tigers - could be MLB ready by 2008 or even sooner

Balentien - hearing good things - lots of power.
prhood
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby thomasps3 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:55 pm

Bryan Lahair - Old for a prospect (26) forces a role this year to see if he can play

Alexi Casilla -- Possibly the next Luis Castillo?

Jeff Bianchi - Injuries seem to make him somewhat of a risk. John Sickels likens him to a Jay Bell type. Not bad, but not great either.

Billy Rowell --- In an AL only league 4x4, he is a top 3 pick right now. Reminds me somewhat of Richie Sexson with a better batting average/glove.

Evan Longoria -- Top 3 target in an AL only. Liquid Gold.

Reid Brignac -- Another TB stud. Can they play with 6 infielders? Top 6 pick at a tough position.

Denard Span -- OBP took a hit this year in New Britain, but at 22, he still has plenty of time to develop into the leadoff hitter of the future for the Twinkies.

Luke Hochevar - With the new administration in KC and the offense Dayton Moore is putting together, I really feel that LK is a future ace. That being said, I pick him #1 or #2 in an AL only league, depending on my mood and where I am picking. :`)

Nick Adenhardt - This guy is shooting up my charts. Two years removed from TJ means that his arm is now better than it was prior to the surgery. Target him on the down low and love the rewards of the next LAA ace

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby boston fan » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:02 pm

travis buck- very good player who will hit for average and power.
ried Brignac- Similar to buck in that hiitting for treemendous power but needs to walk more.
boston fan
College Coach
College Coach

heres the deal

Postby King Bay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:42 am

These are the picks that i have
#5 14 15 20 22 23 29
I am hoping to land Brignac or Longoria with the fifth pick but from what people are telling me it would take some surprise picks from 1-4
I dont really want to draft a pitcher with my first pick but at the same time
(adam miller is taken) I would be able to choose between two out of four Andrew Miller, Adenhardt, Hurley, and Hochevar.Assuming that the first four picks were Longoria, Brignac, and two of those pitchers.
The other thing is I am in love with Billy Rowell and as much as i would love to get him with pick 14, i just don't think it is possible.
As far as young players i already have, i am definately pitcher heavy...
Loewen, McCarthy, Lester, Neimann
So I really want a position player with huge upside with pick #5
is picking Rowell at #5 too early?
would i have any reason to draft Rowell over Longoria/Brignac if they fell?
Even though I have alot of pitching should i pass up andrew miller?
i really appreciate your insight
thankyou
King Bay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:56 pm

You have to take Longoria or Brignac over Rowell. I'd go with Andrew Miller over Rowell, too.

There's a chance that Rowell will fall to you with your second pick. If you cannot get him then, look for Travis Snider.

Rowell and Snider are both inside of my top 50. Longoria, Brignac, and Andrew Miller are all top 25 for me.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

what if...

Postby King Bay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:35 pm

if miller, longoria, and brignac are gone
and i take the chance that i can get rowell with #14
then who do you reccomend i take at #5?
I forgot to list that Dukes is still available in my league
King Bay
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thomasps3 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Rowell is not going to be available at the #14 pick in an AL only league. In an AL only, there is a premium placed on hitters in a minor legaue draft due to the predictability of them in comparison to the volatility of P. You will do well to get Rowell at #5. He is a top flight hitting prospect, with excellent write ups by Sickels and BA. Not sure how to say this, but I think at the minor league draft, the overall concentration should be on hitters due to the overall lack of impact (typically) that first and 2nd year P usually make in the bigs. The exception being of course, J-Ver, JPaps, Weaver...historically.....
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Return to Minor League & College Baseball