Angels Offseason - Trade Likely Now - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim

Angels Offseason - Trade Likely Now

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Angels Offseason - Trade Likely Now

Postby Halo Homers » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:38 pm

As I am writing this, the Cubs just signed Soriano to 136m 8 year deal.

Angels were never going to offer him that much. That would have caused problems with Vlad.

With Soriano off the market, I think that almost forces the Angels to look for a trade.

I think the Angels will now try to land Barry Zito, which will allow them to trade a starter, most likely Ervin Santana, but I would not be surprised to see them trade Weaver either.

My thoughts as to the most likely trade targets:

1) Carl Crawford - Devil Rays - Their is already a tight relationship between the two organizations, and their needs mesh well. Tampa needs starting pitching, Angels need a big time hitter. Crawford's speed plays into the Angels offensive scheme well.
2) Manny Ramirez - Angels just traded for Justin Speier. Could the Angels trade Shields for Manny? Its possible.
3) Vernon Wells - Teams need mesh, and I think the relationship between the two teams is also good. Toronto will need to replace Lilly in their rotation. Wells would be a perfect fit for the Angels in CF.
4) Miguel Tejada - Tejada did not want to come to the Angels during the 06 season, as he would have been forced to play 3b. Wonder if that has changed.
5) Miguel Cabrera - I would love to see the Angels get this guy. He is in his arbitration year, will Florida be willing to pay the arbitration price on this guy? Trouble is Florida is not really in need of starting pitching.
6) A Rod - Its a longshot, but so was signing Vlad a few years ago.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:32 pm

The Speier signing makes it seem that Shields is all but out of here. But then again, who knows? I'd like to see us make some sort of play for a big hitter, but then again you know Bill Stoneman.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Halo Homers » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:18 pm

I think Stoneman is under a lot of pressure to get it done this offseason.

I would be shocked if they do not make a trade. I think one of the six I've listed above has better than a 80% chance of getting done.

It's possible they could go after Carlos Lee, the remaining big bat out there, but I have seen nothing about the Angels having interest in him.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:16 pm

Gary Matthews Jr. is a good player that I'm glad is on our team, but $10/season? In my opinion, even in today's market... he's a $5-7 max /season type of player. Also, signing him for 5 years is going to come back and haunt the Angels. But atleast we did SOMETHING rather than nothing.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Halo Homers » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:19 pm

I've been reading the thread about the Mattews signing where this deal is taking a beating.

First and foremost, this deal is about defense. The Angels where major league leaders in errors and unearned runs. Also, they've got Vlad and GA on the corners, guys who both have bad wheels. The Angels went and got someone who fills a major need.

Also, if you look at his last three year's performance, the offensive numbers don't look so bad

.275/.350 OBP
.255/.320 OBP
.312/.371 OBP

You add those numbers together, you get .280/.350 type numbers. Figure on 15 HRs and 30 SB to go along with a guy who might be a gold glove defender. If the Angels get that, its not that bad of a deal. I think they still overpaid, I would have rather seen 5 years/40 million, but everybody is overpaying this offseason.

Stoneman said the Angels are not done, they are still shopping for a 3b and 1b. Likely trade targets

Joe Crede CHW - Sox need a CF, Angels need a 3b. Figgins plus a one of the Angels prospects for Crede looks like a possibility.

Mark Teahan KC - I know this guy is KCs up an comming star, but Figgins and prospects might interest them.

Scott Rolen STL - Cardinals are in desperate need of pitching. Santana for Rolen and prospects from the Cardinals? Rolen seems healthly again. LaRussa and Rolen not getting along?

Miguel Carbrera FLA - I would do cartwheels if the Angels could somehow land this guy.

A Rod NYY - Does A Rod want to leave?

I think either Figgins, Santana or both will not be with the Angels in 2007.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sLim » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:43 pm

the angels arent gonna trade shields...it would surprise me if they did...they are trying to rebuild the 02 pen of donnelly, shields, and percy...

shields is just as important to this team as krod is...speirer is hopefully our answer to stopping the 7th...

i doubt we get manny...but its more likely we get manny then guys like arod or cabrera...tejada will not play 3b...but maybe OC will...

i think vernon wells was possible...until they signed mathews...which probably puts wells off the map...

i pray that the angels do not trade for crede...this guy is an overrated 3b offensively...his defense is slightly above avg...but we need a consistent power source at the hot corner...i kno there have been rumors swirling about a figgins/santana trade for crede/garcia...but if this trade actually goes thru...i will lose alot of respect for stoneman...

personally...i dont think the angels make any big moves, at least not any free agent signings...they wont sign anyone bigger then mathews...but a big trade could be in the works...but i dont think anything is gonna happen
sLim
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:58 am

I absouletly agree with you on the Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia deal. That would be a disaster IMO.

I hope Stoneman does the RIGHT deal, not do a deal just for the sake of doing a deal.

I would really like the Angels to take a serious run at M Cabrera. I would love to see him patroling 3b for the Angels for the next 10 years or so.

Also, I still think they could land Vernon Wells. They would have to trade Rivera plus say Santana or Saunders, but that could work out. Wells would play left.

Thoughts about picking up Aubury Huff as a free agent at 3b?
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:12 pm

Halo Homers wrote:I absouletly agree with you on the Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia deal. That would be a disaster IMO.

I hope Stoneman does the RIGHT deal, not do a deal just for the sake of doing a deal.

I would really like the Angels to take a serious run at M Cabrera. I would love to see him patroling 3b for the Angels for the next 10 years or so.

Also, I still think they could land Vernon Wells. They would have to trade Rivera plus say Santana or Saunders, but that could work out. Wells would play left.

Thoughts about picking up Aubury Huff as a free agent at 3b?

The Figgins/Santana for Crede/Garcia rumored deal was shot down by Stoneman earlier. It's not gonna happen. The only thing that might happen is we trade Figgins and a Mid Level Prospect for Crede, but I don't think the Sox want to do that.

If we made a run at MCab, I will be more surprised than when we got Vlad. We just have to pull all the right strings to make that possible, and I don't see it happening.

If we add Wells, we're definitely going to have to trade away Rivera and Toronto will probably want Santana alongside someone else. So that means we make a big signing of Schmidt or Zito? Who knows.

Right now, it's all speculation. We'll know a lot more in another week.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:16 pm

Sox just resigned Pods, I see that as a signal that any trade for Figgins is off now. Would not make sense to trade for him now.

I am now thinking that a trade for an another outfielder is not such a longshot. That would mean Rivera definetly gone.

I would not mind seeing A Rod either.
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:16 am

Halo Homers wrote:Sox just resigned Pods, I see that as a signal that any trade for Figgins is off now. Would not make sense to trade for him now.

I am now thinking that a trade for an another outfielder is not such a longshot. That would mean Rivera definetly gone.

I would not mind seeing A Rod either.

I'm dying to know what is going on in Bill Stoneman's office right now.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim