GSP/Hughes thread (Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GSP/Hughes thread (Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:27 pm

Great, great letter to the fans from GSP. The original article was in French but one of the French-Canadians on an MMA site I frequent translated it:

Georges St. Pierre wrote:I’ve never felt like I felt Saturday in Sacramento, after my win against Matt Hughes.

I didn't have any power in my legs. Once on the ground, I cried, but there weren’t any tears. It was a strange feeling. I didn't have any control over my body. Then, an image of my mom appeared in my head. That's when I asked her to come in the octagon.

My mother is quite special to me. She made a lot of sacrifices in order for me to get where I am. I had a few rough patches at the beginning of my career, but she was always there for me.

I was in my bubble during all the fight, even when the ref gave me a warning because of the second low blow. Nothing could get me off my game.

I admit that the first kick touched his genitals. On the other hand, the second kick was on his cup. Even Hughes said so at the press conference. I hit a nerve and the kick was legal. The ref should not have stopped the fight and given him time to recover. Hughes played it well and I forgive him.

When the fight started, people chanted USA, USA, USA. Hughes made some snide remarks on my origins in order to hype the fight.

Matt Hughes is a patriotic guy and he’s proud of his origins. The same applies to me. I am proud to be a Quebecer and a French Canadian. Hughes has been a champion for a long time and he knows how to sell the sport. He can be arrogant sometimes, and he may have hurt the feeling of some Quebecers, but I’m not holding this against him. I have tremendous respect for him. He’s a great man who does a lot of things for different charities. I also played the game, but now it’s over.

I respect Hughes a lot and I think he feels the same toward me.

Matt will not retire because of this loss. When we first fought, he won because I made a mistake. This time, I won because he made a mistake.

So it’s only normal we fight again. It might even happen more than once. Matt is the man who’s the closest to my level at the moment. If he hadn't made a mistake, it could have been a very long fight.

But before I think about Hughes, I will have a title defense against Matt Serra in February, probably in Las Vegas.

Many people think it will be a walk in the park, but I believe that is not the case. Serra is a dangerous opponent and I will have to stay focused.

To motivate myself, I imagine that the belt is in the middle of the octagon and that the winner of the fight will leave with it. I won’t act like I’m the champion. It will be as if the title was vacant.

I know Matt Serra well because of TUF4, but he’s not a friend. I could never fight a friend.

After the interview in the octagon, Dana told me that a UFC event might take place in Montréal in May.

My opponent could well be Matt Hughes.

I will need to keep my title until then and Hughes will have to win his next fight. If Hughes loses, I’ll probably fight the guy who beat him.

After the fight, I went to a party organized by one of my sponsors. It was mostly to meet fans and shake hands.

I’ve yet to celebrate with the people I love.

Anyway, I’d rather celebrate when I get back to Québec

Now that I’ve achieved my goal, I’ll be on vacation for a week or two. I’ll fly shortly to Aruba. I’ll continue to be active. I love sports and I just can’t stay in place for too long or I go crazy.

Thanks to all of you who supported me. Talk to you soon.

French Link
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk