GSP/Hughes thread (Spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

GSP/Hughes thread (Spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

GSP/Hughes thread (Spoilers)

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 am

A high kick floored Hughes in the second followed by 7 undefended punches that stopped the fight.

Canadian Georges St. Pierre UFC wins UFC welterweight title Neil Davidson, Canadian Press
Published: Sunday, November 19, 2006 Article tools
Printer friendly

Font: * * * * SACRAMENTO, Calif. (CP) - Canadian Georges St. Pierre dethroned UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes in a dominant mixed martial arts performance Saturday night at UFC 65: Bad Intentions.

The 25-year-old from Montreal was razor-sharp from the get-go, controlling the first round and dropping the 33-year-old champion with a right and a left as the round ended. Hughes complained twice of kicks to the groin in the round and was given time to recover.

There was more of the same in the second. St. Pierre nailed the 170-pound champion with a kick to the head and finished him off with some ground and pound at 1:25 of the second round.

Hughes, who looked dazed at St. Pierre's onslaught, could not defend the Canadian's kicks or punches.

The first thing St. Pierre did with the championship belt was give it to his mother, whom he hoisted on his shoulders in the ring.

"I'm the happiest guy on Earth right now," an elated St. Pierre said after the fight.

UFC president Dana White said St. Pierre's first title defence will be February in Las Vegas against Matt Serra, the winner of the most recent Ultimae Fighter reality TV show.

A subsequent re-match with Hughes could taker place in Montreal next year, White said.

St. Pierre joins Carlos Newton as the only Canadian to hold a UFC title.

St. Pierre improved to 13-1 while Hughes fell to 42-5.

Hughes defeated a 23-year-old St. Pierre in October 2004, submitting him via armbar with one second remaining in the first round at UFC 50: The War of 04.

LINK

Hughes said some really stupid things about Canada before the fight.
Last edited by Mookie4ever on Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:49 am

May want to change the title of the thread. I'm kind of disappointed that I know who won, I was really hoping to watch it and find out that way.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RugbyD » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am

BOOOOOO!!!!

not surprised or unsurprised that GSP won, but quite surprised it went the way it did.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:54 am

I'm a huge Hughes fan. He'll be back. Hughes won the first fight, GSP won this one. There is going to be a rematch.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:46 pm

1337_Dude wrote:May want to change the title of the thread. I'm kind of disappointed that I know who won, I was really hoping to watch it and find out that way.

Sorry, didn't think of that. My apologies.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:03 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I'm a huge Hughes fan. He'll be back. Hughes won the first fight, GSP won this one. There is going to be a rematch.

I wouldn't be so sure of a comeback. Hughes won the first fight b/c of a mistake made by GSP letting Hughes slip his guard. Other then that one mistake it was very even. In this fight GSP dominated. Even before the fight Hughes was talking about retirement when his contract ends. There is definitely a rematch after the GSP defence against Serra but then I wouldn't be surprised if that is the end for Hughes.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Minor League Skilz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Yeah, after listening to Hughes speak after the fight I got the impression he was considering hanging it up.

He is in a tough spot. If he loses to GSP again, what then? ALmost no where to go after that. Tough couple months for the Militige camp. First Franklin, then Hughes, and Sylvia gets booed out of the Octagon.

I am pulling for the rise of Diego Sanchez. He's easily my favorite fighter right now, but I am not sure if he is ready for GSP yet.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:43 am

I'm a big Hughes fan as well but also a big GSP fan. I did lose a sig bet with Mookie but's that the only way I would have lost a bet. I don't gamble but if I did I would never have put money down on this fight. Too close.

Anyway, GSP did dominate but not as bad as some would make it out. Anyone familiar with Hughes knows that he always looks poor early in fights against good strikers because he's willing to eat blows for the shoot. He made a mistake when he shot and GSP landed a beautiful kick to the noggin. Good win but this is hardly over.

As for Mookie's comments about Hughes being done I think he's lost his head reveling in Canadian glory. Diminishing Hughes' victory in the first match as some sort of mistake is ridiculous. Any victory can be broken down to a mistake made by the loser (like last night but GSP still had to finish). When you have athletes this talented it's more a chess match than anything. In the first fight GSP tried to stand and Hughes tooled him with the armbar.

The retirement talk was more rumor than anything. Hughes made one comment that was really blown out of proportion. The only thing that changes is that there was a chance Hughes would move up to 185. No chance that happens now. Both of these fighters are very evenly matched. The GSP fans who will overlook Hughes in Part III are as dumb as the Hughes fans who overlooked GSP for last night's match.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:54 am

Amazinz wrote:I'm a big Hughes fan as well but also a big GSP fan. I did lose a sig bet with Mookie but's that the only way I would have lost a bet. I don't gamble but if I did I would never have put money down on this fight. Too close.

Anyway, GSP did dominate but not as bad as some would make it out. Anyone familiar with Hughes knows that he always looks poor early in fights against good strikers because he's willing to eat blows for the shoot. He made a mistake when he shot and GSP landed a beautiful kick to the noggin. Good win but this is hardly over.

As for Mookie's comments about Hughes being done I think he's lost his head reveling in Canadian glory. Diminishing Hughes' victory in the first match as some sort of mistake is ridiculous. Any victory can be broken down to a mistake made by the loser (like last night but GSP still had to finish). When you have athletes this talented it's more a chess match than anything. In the first fight GSP tried to stand and Hughes tooled him with the armbar.

The retirement talk was more rumor than anything. Hughes made one comment that was really blown out of proportion. The only thing that changes is that there was a chance Hughes would move up to 185. No chance that happens now. Both of these fighters are very evenly matched. The GSP fans who will overlook Hughes in Part III are as dumb as the Hughes fans who overlooked GSP for last night's match.

Who knows what he will do but he said this to sherdog.

11, 2006
by Greg Savage

There have been rumblings from the Miletich camp for several months that UFC welterweight champion Matt Hughes (Pictures) was considering winding down his extraordinary career.

Hughes recently confirmed to Sherdog.com that he indeed plans on fighting out his current UFC contract, which will have one bout left following his title defense against Georges St. Pierre (Pictures) on Nov. 18, before retiring from active participation in the sport of mixed martial arts.

The question was first broached when Hughes was asked where he saw himself a year from now. “Hopefully retired with my family back home,” the UFC welterweight champion responded.

“In a perfect world” Hughes declared that he would “fight a couple more times, retire, [and] go back home.”

Hughes cited the strain of being away from family, including a newborn daughter, as motivation for hanging up his four-ounce gloves.

The two time UFC champ, who stands at 40-4-0, made it clear he has come to a point where the benefits of fighting are far outweighed by the negatives that come along with it.

Hughes, 33, did leave open the possibility, should he get past a very tough St. Pierre, of moving up in weight to face UFC 185-pound champion Anderson Silva in hopes of becoming the first fighter to concurrently hold UFC titles in multiple weight classes.

He has backed off these comments but he hasn't said that he didn't make them. He has to back off these comments b/c he still has to sell the rematch. Dana should make him fight Carlos Newton again (then Patrick Cote then Loiseau :-D ).
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:50 am

:-D

I think the ol' Dragonaball Jujitsu kid is done. He's never been the same since the crucifix of death Hughes laid down at the Brawl in the Hall. I don't know about Loiseau, who's no longer with the UFC, or Cote, who has a limited ground game. :)

It will never happen but maybe Denis Kang. He's the rising Canadian star in PRIDE.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk