Wii or PS3? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Wii or PS3?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Wii or PS3?

Postby Bricklayer » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:21 am

OK, it looks like we are going to get a video game system for christmas this year. Problem is I don't have a clue. The last system I owned was a super nintendo if that gives you an idea of how out of date I am. I have a 5 year old that will be doing most of the playing but I wanted to be able to play some myself also... Any suggestions or commentary?

EDIT: Actually it should read Wii or PS2? I will not be giving what a PS 3 is going for...
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:33 am

Between PS2 and Wii, defintely get the Wii.

The PS2 doesn't have much life left on it. While it does have a great library of games all told, there's not going to be more than another 6-9 months worth of new games coming out. Then there's the fact that Zelda: Twilight Princess might just be the best freaking game ever.

If you still expect to using whichever console in 3 years, I think you'd find yourself better off with the Wii.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Old_Style » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:34 am

i'd say wii. it will have more child friendly titles as well as some titles for adults. hell, i'll sit down and play most, if not all, of the mario title games.

legend of zelda: twilight princess ;-D
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby davidmarver » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:42 am

Yeah, Wii no question. Much better for children and it'll have any sports title you could ask for as well.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:21 am

Wii is the way to go for your situation. If you have a WiFi connection or can get it online, he can also play the original Mario and Zelda games through the old Nintendo catalog they're supposed to have available. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:21 am

Wii looks like tons of fun but the graphics arne't great.

i'd still go WII
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:57 am

PS3 is for hardcore gamers. To fully appreciate its capability you NEED an HDTV and surround sound. If you don't have that, add $2500 to the cost of the PS3... otherwise, it's just a PS2 with "potential."

The Wii however is original, intuitive, unique and from what I've seen, fun.... and that's without all the high tech gizmos.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:26 am

I'm getting a Wii tommorow from my work, can't wait to play Zelda. Wii is for sure the way to go, it's shelf life far surpasses that of the PS2, also with the ability to eb backwards compatible with Gamecube games, AND that they will slowly put the entire Nintendo library up for download, makes the Wii a no brain IMO. ;-D
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:51 am

If you have a kid in the house Nintendo has a lot of great games for the younger kids, while having good enough games for the adults. I wouldn't suggest the PS3 for at least a few months and then, I'd probably suggest a 360 anyway.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ThatDude » Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:58 am

1337_Dude wrote:If you have a kid in the house Nintendo has a lot of great games for the younger kids, while having good enough games for the adults. I wouldn't suggest the PS3 for at least a few months and then, I'd probably suggest a 360 anyway.

I'd definately go with a PS3 instead of a 360, but I'll be waiting at least a year before I buy one, probably closer to 18 months. There will be what I expect to be the best library of exclusive titles built up by then, and I'll probably get a game or two bundled in with the console.

There's still enough life in my PS2, and I'll be getting the Wii and Zelda for Christmas, so I can wait for a while for the PS3 to get its feet under it before I buy one.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk