How do you rank these guys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

How do you rank these guys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigboy1234 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:01 pm

I'll just share my thoughts on your top 10 so far, I think Gordon should be #1, Maybin should probably be higher than both McCutchen and Bruce from what I've heard and seen. Also, I noticed you guys just put Pelfrey in the #10 spot where Martinez was, what happened there? Also, just wondering but why in the world don't you guys think Justin Upton is a top 10 prospect? Im hoping that changes ;-) Do you guys plan on going bigger than 25 anytime soon?
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:13 pm

Young and Gordon are pretty close for me. But given what Young showed in his September callup, I think he's No. 1.

Bruce and McCutchen were a lot more impressive than Maybin and Upton last season. I don't think you'll see Upton in many top 10s.

I switched Martinez and Pelfrey after I went to the AFL. I saw Martinez play and interviewed him (should be up at BaseballAmerica.com this week). He is VERY impressive, but watching him get dominated by mediocre Triple-A arms helped me realize that Martinez is still a few years away. He could easily climb into my top 10 next year.

Project Prospect is going to be releasing its big list in December (top 25 is just a sneak preview). Depending on how confident I feel with my list -- I have a top 150 going right now...just not too confident after 100 -- and the lists that my writers submit to me, Project Prospect will be releasing something between a top 50 and top 100.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bigboy1234 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Well me and the guys over at minorleagueball have Justin at #9 on the community prospect list, but it is a little bit of a flawed list, just off the top of my head LaRoche and Dukes are quite a bit to high on that list. Also, over at topprospectalert they have Upton 11, but that list is also quite flawed as you can tell when you get to #14 Josh Fields and Garza so high also. I can probably guarantee you that BA will also have Upton top 10.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=
Did you have Upton number 10 just because it's fantasy or have your thoughts on him soured a little bit. As I can tell that list is quite a bit different from your current website top 10.
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby shortsavage » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:08 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Well me and the guys over at minorleagueball have Justin at #9 on the community prospect list, but it is a little bit of a flawed list, just off the top of my head LaRoche and Dukes are quite a bit to high on that list. Also, over at topprospectalert they have Upton 11, but that list is also quite flawed as you can tell when you get to #14 Josh Fields and Garza so high also. I can probably guarantee you that BA will also have Upton top 10.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... highlight=
Did you have Upton number 10 just because it's fantasy or have your thoughts on him soured a little bit. As I can tell that list is quite a bit different from your current website top 10.

I don't really weight community prospect lists very heavily. Even with as much as I value the opinions of some Cafe members, I have not been a fan of the community rankings that the Cafe has published.

I'd be embarassed if I published a list like the one at topprospectalert. Kind of harsh, but I think that whole site is a little embarassing.

I'll be surprised if BA has Upton in its top 10 in 2007.

That top 100 list of mine is three months old. I've spent a ton of time learning about prospects since then. Not only have I read countless articles about prospects over the last few months, but I've also had conversations with a bunch of people in the industry and spoken with players as well as scouts. Justin Upton has a good amount of upside but I can't justify putting him even in my top 15 right now.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby bigboy1234 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:43 pm

I don't know with the Upton not being in BA's top 10 this year, I pretty much consider him a lock for it. BA tends to favor those who are drafted high. Also, considering from there 2006 list, only LaRoche, Salty, Stewart, Gordon, Wood, Upton, and Young are the only ones still considered prospects in there top 20. Now I know Salty and Stewart won't be top 20 anymore. But BA likes to stick to there guns, at least I think. I don't necessarily agree with it, but they do it, especially considering Upton had a less than desirable year this year.

What day do you think you'll have the top 25 up? Also, are you guys going to do a top 15 outfielders and top 20 pitchers or something like it soon? Also do you know much about Adam Ottavino if so, what do you think about him? It's good times talking prospects with someone who actually knows what there talking about ;-)
bigboy1234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Eagle Eye

Postby shortsavage » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:33 am

We'll see about BA and Upton.

Our top 25 should be up next Monday. Top 10 OF will be up this Friday. Top 10 SP the following Friday.

We ranked Ottavino No. 2 in the Cardinals system.
"Adam Ottavino, RHP: The Cardinals 2006 first round draft pick, Ottavino, 20, put up pretty solid numbers in Single-A Quad Cities (8.82 K/9, 1.27 WHIP, and 0.55 HR/9). He can touch 95 with his fastball and features a solid slider and slurve.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound righty really made a mark for himself when he pitched a no-hitter in April for Northeastern University. Ottavino could be in line for a leap to AA-Springfield, where he would attempt to continue proving that he can be a front-of-the-rotation starter."
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ND's Finest » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:09 pm

H. Bailey
J. Bruce
A. McCutchen
Adam Miller
L. Hochevar