Interesting repercussions on US internet gambling "ban" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Interesting repercussions on US internet gambling "ban"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:52 am

Meh, we can agree to disagree, but when it comes to games of skill, I just don't consider it gambling. If you're good, you'll be a winning player in the long run. If you stink and don't learn, then you'll lose in the long rung. Not really a gamble, just the way it is. Ah well, no biggie.

Will be interesting to see how the courts decide should it wind up going there. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:54 am

Madison wrote:Meh, we can agree to disagree, but when it comes to games of skill, I just don't consider it gambling. If you're good, you'll be a winning player in the long run. If you stink and don't learn, then you'll lose in the long rung. Not really a gamble, just the way it is. Ah well, no biggie.

Will be interesting to see how the courts decide should it wind up going there. ;-D

Yeah, if anything, I'd like to see the why of why it's being banned.

My view: if it's on the Internet, it should be unregulated. I'm a purist :-D

And I work in IT, so I hope my opinion counts for something.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:18 pm

Madison wrote:Meh, we can agree to disagree, but when it comes to games of skill, I just don't consider it gambling. If you're good, you'll be a winning player in the long run. If you stink and don't learn, then you'll lose in the long rung. Not really a gamble, just the way it is. Ah well, no biggie.

thats exactly how i feel...i guess you can call it "gambling" but i dont think im gambling much.... betting on sports is definitely gambling...im starting to think sports are fixed by some of the outcomes

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:12 am

If pharse it like that Madison, then betting on football is not gambling for some people. There are guys (not the idiots you see yelling on TV) who can win 65-70% of the time. These guys make huge money in the long run, they are very skilled. For them wagering on football is a game of skill.

So should sports gambling be exempt too? Where do you draw the line?

On another note, i liked internet poker. It brought the most predictable and easiest to read players to the game.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:27 am

thedude wrote:

If pharse it like that Madison, then betting on football is not gambling for some people. There are guys (not the idiots you see yelling on TV) who can win 65-70% of the time. These guys make huge money in the long run, they are very skilled. For them wagering on football is a game of skill.

So should sports gambling be exempt too? Where do you draw the line?

Fair point and I admit the line does get quite hazy. In your example, I wouldn't consider a football handicapper to be a gambler.

I think for me, I consider anything where everyone's got the same odds of winning to be gambling. Like the lottery. I buy a ticket, you buy a ticket, and we've got the same odds of winning. Neither of us can do anything to our advantage (other than buy more tickets). There's no skill or special knowledge involved at all in that. Things like that (bingo, slot machines, etc) are gambling to me. Things where skill makes or breaks you, are not gambling. Is a very hazy line though, and can get quite confusing. :-S
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:21 am

Sorry but any time you put up money that is gambling. I don't care if you consistantly win or if you got great odds it is still gambling.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 389)

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:37 am

thedude wrote:So should sports gambling be exempt too? Where do you draw the line?

Yes. And there shouldn't be a line.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk