Official Rumors Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Official Rumors Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Official Rumors Thread

Postby SOUTHSIDE HITMEN » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:41 pm

Kenny Williams made a call to Yankees GM Cashman and offered one of three pitchers Buehrle, Garcia and Vazquez and Crede for Arod. Yankees are said to want McCarthy and Josh Fields.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseb ... 8604c.html
SOUTHSIDE HITMEN
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jebnasty » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:13 pm

i think the yankees would be better off trying to trade arod to the angels for santana and brandon wood.
jebnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:48 am

Just to add to the intrigue, Lou Piniella has already come out and stated that he expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue a trade for Alex Rodriguez this off-season.

Piniella, the new Cubs manager, has a very close relationship with Rodriguez and also feels that it would improve the Cubs chances of winning.

(Source: Buster Olney on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike)

My opinion on this is that I can't see it happening unless Carlos Zambrano is in the deal and the Cubs shouldn't even consider that. Now...if they could somehow swing a deal for ANYTHING other than Zambrano then that would be fairly interesting. I'd be especially excited if they could somehow get him and keep ARam as well but that's just the idle dreaming of a Cubs fan. I'd love to see an infield of ARam, ARod, Cedeno? and Derrek Lee. But I don't think I can see giving up Zambrano to get that infield. Maybe if they'd deal us ARod and Cano for Zambrano and Cedeno...but this isn't fantasy baseball. ;)
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:45 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Just to add to the intrigue, Lou Piniella has already come out and stated that he expects the Cubs to aggressively pursue a trade for Alex Rodriguez this off-season.

Piniella, the new Cubs manager, has a very close relationship with Rodriguez and also feels that it would improve the Cubs chances of winning.

(Source: Buster Olney on ESPN Radio's Mike & Mike)

My opinion on this is that I can't see it happening unless Carlos Zambrano is in the deal and the Cubs shouldn't even consider that. Now...if they could somehow swing a deal for ANYTHING other than Zambrano then that would be fairly interesting. I'd be especially excited if they could somehow get him and keep ARam as well but that's just the idle dreaming of a Cubs fan. I'd love to see an infield of ARam, ARod, Cedeno? and Derrek Lee. But I don't think I can see giving up Zambrano to get that infield. Maybe if they'd deal us ARod and Cano for Zambrano and Cedeno...but this isn't fantasy baseball. ;)

A story on Yahoo is debunking what Olney was reporting earlier:

Piniella said he was assured by general manager Jim Hendry that the Cubs would make moves necessary to improve the team. He brushed off a report that he wanted the Cubs to acquire embattled Yankees star Alex Rodriguez, saying there hadn't been "any discussions about A-Rod." Piniella was Rodriguez's first manager, with the Seattle Mariners in the mid-1990s.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Re: Arod to the Whitesox??

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:09 pm

SOUTHSIDE HITMEN wrote:Kenny Williams made a call to Yankees GM Cashman and offered one of three pitchers Buehrle, Garcia and Vazquez and Crede for Arod. Yankees are said to want McCarthy and Josh Fields.

And, completely unlike in fantasy, Williams won't give McCarthy and Fields but will give Buehrle and Crede. !+)
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby FalcoAtL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:33 pm

jebnasty wrote:i think the yankees would be better off trying to trade arod to the angels for santana and brandon wood.

This isn't a video game. The Angels would never do that.

Really the only team Arod has a chance of goin to is the Cubs IMO. All other teams are just bystanders.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Official Rumors Thread

Postby The Cow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:59 pm

This is just a rumor so feel free to move it to the correct forum. I did not see a rumors section. The reason the Tribe would deal Westbrook is this:
1. The Tribe currently has all 5 SPs for next year and Westbrook is one of them.
2. Westbrook is not a core player
3. Westbrook is in the last year of his contract
4. the Tribe needs RPs, a LF and a Sp to replace Westbrook for either '07 or '08 depending on whether or not they trad ehim.

It looks to me that the Tribe will deal Westbrook for a young and cheap SP and a bullpen arm. The Cubs just acquired Cotts giving them 3 LHP in the pen. I offer up the rumor of Sean Marshall or Angel Guzman and Cotts, Eyre or Ohman for Westbrook. Westbrook is a very solid pitcher good for 15 wins. I wouldn't rule out Dempster coming to the Tribe either.

I could also see the Tribe dealing Westbrook to the D-Backs for young OF help.

I heard a rumor that the Tribe is to acquire Caesar Izturis to play SS. Peralta is just not a SS, no range.

The Cow, sorry for the unsubstantiated rumors, but I thought some people would enjoy them.
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Marshall or Guzman seem like a lot for one year of Westbrook.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:29 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Marshall or Guzman seem like a lot for one year of Westbrook.

Yea, I agree. Westbrook is decent, but I think there is a possibility that either Marshall or Guzman has a better season than him next year.

Also don't the Indians already have a flooded OF? Choo, Gutierrez, Blake, Michaels, and Sizemore. I think that pretty much covers their future. Besides I don't think the Dbacks deal any of their OF for just Westbrook. Only way I see them dealing Quentin or Gonzalez is for Dtrain. I think a deal for Westbrook involving Callaspo is a possibility though.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Cow » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:31 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Marshall or Guzman seem like a lot for one year of Westbrook.

You think? I would assume the player to be Marshall rather than Guzman, I would think the Cubs have Guzman rated higher than Marshall. Westbrook has been very consistent, if Westbrook were on the FA market he would command 8 mil+ per year. I would assume that if the Cubs did this deal they would sign Westbrook to an extension. Marshall and Guzman are hardly a sure thing, Westbrook is as close to a sure thing for a SP and he is proven. I think the Cubs could use a dependable SP they have plenty of upside guys.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers