FA Market (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FA Market (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:51 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:LINK
With Soriano gone, a bigger market for Manny?
With Soriano now off the market, where will his would-be suitors turn for a big bat? A serious market may now open for Ramirez's services, or so it would seem (the $38 million owed to him over the next two years doesn't look so bad in this market), with the Angels likely at the top of the list after Los Angeles lost out on the Soriano sweepstakes after reportedly offering a five of six-year deal worth around $14 million annually. "That's a big number, and beyond where we thought his value was," Angels GM Bill Stoneman told the LA Times after inking relief pitcher Justin Speier to a costly four-year, $18 million deal.

I found ONE manager who seems to agree with me that some of these guys are asking for more then they are worth.

He admitted offering more than he thought the player was worth? Owner must have been delighted.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:52 pm

Wasn't there some sort of big jump in profits across MLB in recent years, as memories of the strike induced buzzkill have faded? I recall reading stories that 'the free agent market is going to be CRAZY because MLB is rolling in dough' but googling that stuff seems to bring up a heap of gambling stuff and no statistics. Which is probably worth another thread on it's own.

I have to admit that the Soriano contract floored me, if only b/c the Cubs have been able to achieve an astonishing level of profitability at a very low level of return on their investments in terms of recovering baseball production over the years. For them to shovel so much dough to a player whose productivity has been the subject of considerable debate here seems even more amazing. *fingers crossing* :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:05 pm

the market is crazy, but as a previous poster said, it still gives the owner a big roi

how much do the agents get paid? 8, 9%?
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:40 pm

whoseyourdaddy12 wrote:the market is crazy, but as a previous poster said, it still gives the owner a big roi

how much do the agents get paid? 8, 9%?

Generally, less than that, because they look to get paid through the sponsorship deals, too.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2001 ... econd.html
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:50 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:Wasn't there some sort of big jump in profits across MLB in recent years, as memories of the strike induced buzzkill have faded? I recall reading stories that 'the free agent market is going to be CRAZY because MLB is rolling in dough' but googling that stuff seems to bring up a heap of gambling stuff and no statistics. Which is probably worth another thread on it's own.

I have to admit that the Soriano contract floored me, if only b/c the Cubs have been able to achieve an astonishing level of profitability at a very low level of return on their investments in terms of recovering baseball production over the years. For them to shovel so much dough to a player whose productivity has been the subject of considerable debate here seems even more amazing. *fingers crossing* :-D

Since 1992 MLB revenues have increased by a factor of 4.33, while player salaries have only increased by factors of less than 3. They just signed a new contract that guarantees no strike until 2011 at the earliest.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb

MLB Advanced Media has taken off (Link) generating a huge new source of funds for baseball.

Those things, as much as anything, explain the trends
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Will the market go down in the recent future?

Postby Kurtangletn » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:09 am

These past 2 off-seasons it seems everyone is getting more then most feel are worth it, and the reasoning is "The market".

Now, I look at the FA's (especially pitching) in the coming years and it's thin. Teams have more money now to spend, what's going to stop them from spending it on pitching... driving it up.

Almost every team could use a bat, and if teams have money.. They'll spend.

You have to think more and more teams will retain their pitching (that they feel is worth it) and the lesser FAs will get more, and more, and more...

Is my though process right? What is stopping this from continuing each and every year?
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Will the market go down in the recent future?

Postby thedude » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:39 am

Kurtangletn wrote:These past 2 off-seasons it seems everyone is getting more then most feel are worth it, and the reasoning is "The market".

Now, I look at the FA's (especially pitching) in the coming years and it's thin. Teams have more money now to spend, what's going to stop them from spending it on pitching... driving it up.

Almost every team could use a bat, and if teams have money.. They'll spend.

You have to think more and more teams will retain their pitching (that they feel is worth it) and the lesser FAs will get more, and more, and more...

Is my though process right? What is stopping this from continuing each and every year?

Eventually the market will reach an equilibrium. the better pitchers will see that they can get more money by testing the free agent market, so they will not resign with their current team. This will increase the supply of pitchers and the prices will level out.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:02 pm

fantasyfiend wrote:A player doesn't ask for a salary. The market dictates the players salary.

I'm glad the players are getting the money, and the larger contracts show that the sport is thriving.

Like another poster stated...this is simple economics.

Players do ask for a salary. That's how the process usually starts. The free agent spreads the word that he is looking for a contract for x number of years at x dollars per year. Then the teams try to negotiate them down from that number.

I guess I don't understand how guys like JD Drew or Bonds can sign a big contract when there is virtually no competition for their services. I obviously don't hear everything, but I didn't hear about Bonds getting another offer, or Drew, but they got 18 and 14 mill respectively. The dodgers were happy to erase his name from their line up card, and in come the sox throwing 14 mill at him.

And what's up with people paying 3 grand for a PS3? Duba must be adding more then just floride to the nations' water supplies...
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:13 pm

It almost seems more like 'profit sharing' than 'contract negotiations'
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Previous