FA Market (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

FA Market (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FA Market (Merged)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:52 pm

Some of the free-agents out there seem to be asking for absurd amounts of money. It seems like they all seem to have this 'Scott Boras'-esque attitude of grossly overvalueing themselves.
A few I've seen are
-the oft injured Frank Thomas getting 20-23million for 2 years
-the unproven Daisuki Matz.... getting 14m or more per year
-Oswalt asking for 70 mill over 5 years
-JD Drew asking for 56mill over 4 years
-Soriano's high k rates asking for 20 million a year!
-Clemens looking for 20mill for a half season
-Aram getting 73 mill for 5 years....

I know a lot of these guys are good, even great players, but if I was an owner I think I'd crack up at some of these numbers. I do some hiring and sometimes I"ll get a resume from some dude with minimal slim to no management experience looking for 75k to start, which is rediculious. I feel these guys are pulling the same BS.

Have there ever been guys that demand too much and end up with no takers....just sitting on the couch when the baseball season starts?
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:55 pm

If they're getting contracts for what they're asking, I'm not really sure how you can say that they're asking for too much....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:12 pm

I should add Zito and Carlos Lee to the list. I don't remember what their asking prices were though.

George....theres a lot of players in the big leagues who are making WAY more money then they deserve, like Jared Wright, Adrian Beltre, Kevin Brown, Bagwell, Chan Ho Park, Mike Hampton, etc etc. Some of those guys looked like they were going to be HUGE for YEARS, but never really panned out. My feelings are that a lot of these current and upcoming free agents seem even less likely to become top 10 players, but they are demanding top 10 money.
I think there are currently only 25 major leaguers making 13 mill or above. This year could add 6 or 7 people to that list. It just seems like a lot to me.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mak1277 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:12 pm

George_Foreman wrote:If they're getting contracts for what they're asking, I'm not really sure how you can say that they're asking for too much....

Exactly...these are the dollars that are going to be paid to these guys. As long as someone's willing to pay, then you can't rip the players for asking for that money.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm

Majority of larger than necessary contracts are to pitchers. All the rest have been and will be based on the rest of the market and given according to performance. Thomas's contract is very justifiable IMO. He may be old but 40 Hrs???? I'll take that any day for 10 mill a season.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:26 pm

I really think the question that needs to be asked here is:

What has driven the free agency metric to drastically be changed?

Is it the labor peace that has recently be negotiated? Obviously something has changed, as teams(including my own Red Sox) have thrown caution to the wind and are spending money like a bunch of methheads. Teh antitrust exemption baseball enjoys allows this to occur, and there is just one thing that begs asking at a time when this money is being thrown around at players like ARamis Ramirez, Frank Thomas, and Dice-K Matsuzaka:

When the Oakland Athletics move to their new stadium in Fremont, who do you think will be asked to fund the new edifice?

Currently, there are no plans as to where the financing will come from, but <wink wink> <nod nod> I'm almost positive taxpayers will be asked to front some kind of tax relief or subsidy to this stadium.

Sorry to hijack, but I just had to get this off my chest. I am so sick of baseball owners and cries of poverty. Please, please Oakland, do no task for taxpayer subsidy for your move to Fremont.
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:27 pm

I don't remember anyone sitting at home instead of taking a deal.
A few players have gotten less looking for better deal. Benji Molina last year for instance. I agree with everyone else, if the owners are paying it then the players aren't asking for too much.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby thedude » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:28 pm

They are asking market value, therefore it is fair. If there is high demand for guys then they will recieve they are asking for.

Besides Clemens, Matsuzaka, and Oswalt are 3 of the ten best pitchers in the world. Soriano is fast and has power (and seems to be a serviceable left fielder), and JD Drew is one of the better sluggers.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:34 pm

thomasps3 wrote:I really think the question that needs to be asked here is:

What has driven the free agency metric to drastically be changed?

Is it the labor peace that has recently be negotiated? Obviously something has changed, as teams(including my own Red Sox) have thrown caution to the wind and are spending money like a bunch of methheads. Teh antitrust exemption baseball enjoys allows this to occur, and there is just one thing that begs asking at a time when this money is being thrown around at players like ARamis Ramirez, Frank Thomas, and Dice-K Matsuzaka:

When the Oakland Athletics move to their new stadium in Fremont, who do you think will be asked to fund the new edifice?

Currently, there are no plans as to where the financing will come from, but <wink wink> <nod nod> I'm almost positive taxpayers will be asked to front some kind of tax relief or subsidy to this stadium.

Sorry to hijack, but I just had to get this off my chest. I am so sick of baseball owners and cries of poverty. Please, please Oakland, do no task for taxpayer subsidy for your move to Fremont.

I don't quite understand why you think the Anti-Trust exemption has anything to do with how much money MLB brings in?

And the taxpayers vote on funding these stadiums so they have no one to blame but themselves.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:38 pm

Soriano deserves to be paid he was almost a 50/50 man
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers