Cubs Trade Aardsma for Cotts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cubs Trade Aardsma for Cotts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubs Trade Aardsma for Cotts

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:08 pm

Aardsma and Carlos Vasquez for Cotts

Jim Hendry, you are a STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID man.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

dear god i hear the echoes of Karchner for Garland/Noel
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:17 pm

This is not a bad deal for the Cubs. Neal Cotts is great IMO. He was originally a starter in the minors and its possible he could be with the Cubs. Aardsma and Vasquez aren't even that great at all. Both are average prospects at best.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:24 pm

Cotts had one great year, and two superbly miserable years. Aardmsa is turning the corner at worst.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:30 pm

always sad to see one of your world series heros leave your team. and to go to the northside!! :,-(

i think people figured cotts out last year. he throws two pitches but doesnt have much on either. great mechanics but he wasnt filthy enough. i have to assume that these two guys the sox are getting are mediocore, but i have no idea.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby tal1286 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:15 pm

wow...that's a terrible trade at first glance.

We can be pretty sure Cotts is not going to be that good. Aardsma has really good stuff and was starting to get things under control. This is awful.

On the other hand, there's probably a decent chance that this is a precursor to a different deal. Cotts gives us a huge surplus of mediocre lefty relievers/starters/set-up men. Maybe a precursor to getting Vernon Wells or Crawford somehow? I hope so although it could be wishful thinking. I'm not sure we have the pieces to get them.

In any case, I don't think this is a good trade unless it leads to something else.

Leyland said, "We thought we were getting a hell of a player, but Neifi simply did not perform well."

really?
tal1286
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby greenandgold » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:22 pm

Cotts could be better in the NL where people haven't seen him as much.
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:35 pm

greenandgold wrote:Cotts could be better in the NL where people haven't seen him as much.

Very true. Also pitching prospects can be very hit and miss and at least Cotts has had a modicum of success in the majors which is more than either Aardsma or Vasquez can say up to this point. Sure it could be a mistake but it could just as easily be that the Cubs realized they didn't have anything in the two guys they've given up and got something with at least some perceived worth (lefty MR).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:52 pm

I actually like this trade for the Cubs.

I mean, Cotts is still 26 and the ways relievers are going in this market, I think he's a nice option in middle relieve or possibly as a starter.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby CraigMasbruch » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:53 am

Hendry...he's like the guy in my league who is always in the middle of the standings but has like 400 moves by the end of the year. After a while, you just gotta ask him, "Are you just pushing buttons to see what happens?" IMO Hendry realizes the team has to win this year, or else he's gone; and he will do whatever he has to do to make it so, even if it hurts us in the long run. This makes him very dangerous to the organization...but hey, after 98 years, what do we have to lose?! I'm pretty frustrated with my Cubs; for all their moving and shaking and spending this offseason, they haven't put a single piece in place that will make a difference...but if they make one big move this offseason (Sori or Lee, maybe) and bring in an above average starter, I will do my best to muster up the faith to believe again...such is the real Cubs curse.
CraigMasbruch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:18 pm

I'm loving this trade as a White Sox guy. Not a Cotts fan. I always tended to leave the room in the 8th when he'd come in :-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates