BoC Round 1 - 40 Year Old Virgin vs. Police Academy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BoC Round 1 - 40 Year Old Virgin vs. Police Academy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

40 Year Old Virgin or Police Academy?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:50 am

40 Year Old Virgin
71%
Police Academy
29%

Total votes : 35

Postby acsguitar » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Cold Play is terrible
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:23 pm

40 year old virgin is overrated.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:59 pm

i'm lumping all the Police Academy's together (at least the 1st 4 anyway)...and the line "oh...not on broccoli" is funnier to me than butch named Gina (rhymes with China) which was the funniest part of that movie
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:23 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This is another one of those polls that makes me think everyone else is crazy. 40 Year Old Virgin was easy and way, way too long. The main joke, of course, is that this guy's 40 and he (gasp!) has never had sex. There is a lot of attempted humor in the guy being unlike his 'normal' guy friends -- one of whom is a stalker, one of whom is a 'normal guy' (slightly overweight, unattractive, makes gay jokes, white), the other is an oversexed black guy with a vague criminal history. Unlike these guys, the title character eats breakfast. Seriously, the film tries several times to make humor out of the fact that the dude eats a decent breakfast every morning. Aside from that, he collects toys and rides a bike (what a loser!). And so on...
There are a bunch of predictable set pieces involving gay jokes and racial slurs and how to find a girl at the club who's drunk enough to go home with you. Oh, but make sure she's not too drunk because otherwise, she'll end up vomiting in your face and you still won't get laid! It should be said that all of the normal guys encourage dude to prey sexually on very drunk women ("just make sure you drive next time dude") -- that's right, normal guys are borderline rapists!
Oh and then his boss is butch. Hilarious!
Oh and two of his colleagues are umm east Indian/Arab/Persian/Pakistanis (they never actually say which) who curse a lot. Again, absolutely hilarious.
And I haven't gotten into the also predictable "times he tried to have sex and failed" set pieces. One time, this girl's sucking his toe and he likes it so much he kicks her in the face! Another time, his friends get him a prostitute but it's a transexual! Brilliant! And so on and so on... They go speed dating. He waxes his chest hair. Blah Blah Blah.
It's stupid. There's no crime in stupid, though. The crime is in being bad and easy and no fun. Don't trust anyone who tells you otherwise: This movie sucks.

In other news, it's a slow day at work.

Geeze... You sure seem personally offended that they're making fun of old men who can't get any...

I thought 40-YOV was sweet and kind and still raunchy and funny. It showed a certain sort of insight into a type of man (and I think we all know one) who is so scared of women that he buries himself in adolescent pleasures. It had as varied a cast as "Crash" but treats them all the same as endearing people. And it does it while making me laugh.

Andy Stitzer: Wow, this place is crowded.
David: Yeah, well you know, nine dollar beer night.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cal: The problem most men have is they don't know how to talk to women...
Andy Stitzer: You know what my problem is? I am not interesting. What am I supposed to say I went to magic camp? That I'm an accomplished ventriloquist? Oh, I am the 7th degree imperial yo-yo master.
[yelling as he impersonates a woman]
Andy Stitzer: Ooooh, do me yo-yo master I want you to do me cuz you're the yo-yo guy...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cal: [to Andy about telling Trish he's a virgin] Yeah, you should definitely tell her, because I saw this movie called "Liar Liar" and the message was, "*Don't* lie."
[pause]
Cal: And that was a smart movie.

Police Academy, however, is just dumb...

[Hightower smashes into the bumper of another car]
Carey Mahoney: You didn't hit the brakes.
Moses Hightower: You didn't tell me to.

Lieutenant Thaddeus Harris: My name is Lieutenant Harris, in case you missed it. This is Sergeant Callahan, in case you missed it. We are the meanest instructors here. We've got you because you are the worst people here. From now on, you are "D" Squad; "D" for "dirtbags." When I say: "Hey, dirtbags." that means you. I'm going to make you hate me for the rest of your lives.
Lieutenant Thaddeus Harris: Son, where did you get that gun?
Cadet Eugene Tackleberry: [smiling proudly] My mum gave it to me.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:29 pm

I give it to 40 Year Old Virgin. Why? It was original and clever. Police Academy is neither. In fact, it is regarded as one of the most retarded comedies of all time. I also like Virgin because it's definitely not for everyone; Police Academy is for "anything with a pulse."

If you want to talk about comedies that are "easy" and "way too long" (even at something like 80 minutes), then we can talk about Police Academy.

After all, it's done so much for Steve Gutenberg's career...
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:30 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:This is another one of those polls that makes me think everyone else is crazy. 40 Year Old Virgin was easy and way, way too long. The main joke, of course, is that this guy's 40 and he (gasp!) has never had sex. There is a lot of attempted humor in the guy being unlike his 'normal' guy friends -- one of whom is a stalker, one of whom is a 'normal guy' (slightly overweight, unattractive, makes gay jokes, white), the other is an oversexed black guy with a vague criminal history. Unlike these guys, the title character eats breakfast. Seriously, the film tries several times to make humor out of the fact that the dude eats a decent breakfast every morning. Aside from that, he collects toys and rides a bike (what a loser!). And so on...
There are a bunch of predictable set pieces involving gay jokes and racial slurs and how to find a girl at the club who's drunk enough to go home with you. Oh, but make sure she's not too drunk because otherwise, she'll end up vomiting in your face and you still won't get laid! It should be said that all of the normal guys encourage dude to prey sexually on very drunk women ("just make sure you drive next time dude") -- that's right, normal guys are borderline rapists!
Oh and then his boss is butch. Hilarious!
Oh and two of his colleagues are umm east Indian/Arab/Persian/Pakistanis (they never actually say which) who curse a lot. Again, absolutely hilarious.
And I haven't gotten into the also predictable "times he tried to have sex and failed" set pieces. One time, this girl's sucking his toe and he likes it so much he kicks her in the face! Another time, his friends get him a prostitute but it's a transexual! Brilliant! And so on and so on... They go speed dating. He waxes his chest hair. Blah Blah Blah.
It's stupid. There's no crime in stupid, though. The crime is in being bad and easy and no fun. Don't trust anyone who tells you otherwise: This movie sucks.

In other news, it's a slow day at work.

Geeze... You sure seem personally offended that they're making fun of old men who can't get any...

I thought 40-YOV was sweet and kind and still raunchy and funny. It showed a certain sort of insight into a type of man (and I think we all know one) who is so scared of women that he buries himself in adolescent pleasures. It had as varied a cast as "Crash" but treats them all the same as endearing people. And it does it while making me laugh.

Andy Stitzer: Wow, this place is crowded.
David: Yeah, well you know, nine dollar beer night.

Cal: The problem most men have is they don't know how to talk to women...
Andy Stitzer: You know what my problem is? I am not interesting. What am I supposed to say I went to magic camp? That I'm an accomplished ventriloquist? Oh, I am the 7th degree imperial yo-yo master.
[yelling as he impersonates a woman]
Andy Stitzer: Ooooh, do me yo-yo master I want you to do me cuz you're the yo-yo guy...
Cal: [to Andy about telling Trish he's a virgin] Yeah, you should definitely tell her, because I saw this movie called "Liar Liar" and the message was, "*Don't* lie."
[pause]
Cal: And that was a smart movie.

Police Academy, however, is just dumb...

[Hightower smashes into the bumper of another car]
Carey Mahoney: You didn't hit the brakes.
Moses Hightower: You didn't tell me to.

Lieutenant Thaddeus Harris: My name is Lieutenant Harris, in case you missed it. This is Sergeant Callahan, in case you missed it. We are the meanest instructors here. We've got you because you are the worst people here. From now on, you are "D" Squad; "D" for "dirtbags." When I say: "Hey, dirtbags." that means you. I'm going to make you hate me for the rest of your lives.
Lieutenant Thaddeus Harris: Son, where did you get that gun?
Cadet Eugene Tackleberry: [smiling proudly] My mum gave it to me.

I'm not offended at all, I just hate it when a movie could be good, but isn't. 40 Year Old Virgin was one such movie. They had a decent premise, a pretty good cast, and some stuff that could have been genuinely funny, but they took the easy way out and the easy joke almost without exception.

And I wasn't trying to imply that Police Academy is any better. If I had voted in this poll, I would have voted for 40 Year Old Virgin.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:33 pm

You like Coldplay. :-D

Virgin for me.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RyanK » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:13 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm sure that's hilarious, but I've never heard a single Coldplay song (that I know of anyway), so I don't get it. Do they make really good music that only brilliant people with amazing senses of humor would like or something?

so gay people are brilliant people with amazing senses of humor?
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:30 am

RyanK wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I'm sure that's hilarious, but I've never heard a single Coldplay song (that I know of anyway), so I don't get it. Do they make really good music that only brilliant people with amazing senses of humor would like or something?

so gay people are brilliant people with amazing senses of humor?

Yes
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:38 am

Virgin.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 821)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk