Hitting prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Hitting prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hitting prospects

Postby Savoy Special » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:24 am

Let's discuss these hitters (strengths/weaknesses), ETA, rank them (if you dare) & who will be the best major leaguer:

Dexter Fowler, OF, Col
Kory Casto, 3B/OF, Wash
Travis Snyder, OF, Tor
Carlos Gomez, OF, NYM
Travis Buck, OF, Oak
Billy Rowell, 3B, Balt
Tyler Colvin, OF, ChiCubs
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:32 pm

I'll give this a shot:

Dexter Fowler, OF, Col. I am not as high on Fowler as some but I think he's a good prospect. He has the ability to maintain a moderately high average with a decent OBP and some power. I am optimistic that he can keep his K-rate down and as he matures he should be able to turn some of his gap hits into home runs. He has adjusted very well to professional baseball. I'd put his ETA at 2009.

Kory Casto, 3B/OF, Wash. I see nothing special with Casto. His major strength is a good eye. His secondary strength is power. However, we can discredit some of that because of his age. He is 24 in AA. His weaknesses include not being able to hit lefties, little range at 3B and not enough arm strength to play there which is forcing a move to the LF. I doubt he'll ever be more than a 4th OF. His ceiling is a platoon left fielder. ETA: Late 2007

Travis Snider, OF, Tor. Snider has good power potential but probably won't be a 40+ HR hitter. He has some trouble making contact against left handed pitchers but when he does, he's raked lefties. ETA: 2010

Carlos Gomez, OF, NYM. Gomez is part three of the Mets future outfield. It would make me tremendously happy if he was the third best outfield prospect in my teams system. But about Gomez: He is pretty typical of most Latin American players. He doesn't draw many walks, but is making strides to be more selective. His low walk rate isn't because he is a wild swinger, but because he can hit the ball in so many places. His obvious asset is speed. His obvious liability is his K-rate and BB-rate. Guys with his skill set need to work on getting on base number one and hitting the ball number two. ETA: 2008

Travis Buck, OF, Oak. Buck is mostly known for his defense. That's important because it may bring him to the bigs before his bat is ready. Surprisingly, his walk rate isn't great but he doesn't strike out with incredible frequency. He has shown signs of progression and growth within his game. His weakness is plate control and his strength is his abilty to drive the ball to the opposite field. ETA: 2008

Billy Rowell, 3B, Balt
Koby Schellenger wrote:Rowell has plenty of power potential. He has a good ability to take walks but also strikesout quite a bit. He should develop into a three-true-outcome hitter. I do not think he'll hit .300 next year but a line of .270/.380/.490 is certainly feasible. If he can take that (with some attrition) to AAA and beyond he'll be a very good fantasy prospect. Major liability: Strikeouts. Major asset: power.
ETA: late 2009

Tyler Colvin, OF, ChiCubs. The only thing I know about Colvin is seconhand, but he's big, strong and complete.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Minor League & College Baseball