A vent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A vent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Coppermine wrote:..... but there were some parts that went beyond a reasonable suspension of my disbelief.

Huh??
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:03 pm

I've read about a lot of people dealing with people like this in England. I believe they're referred to as "chavs."
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:16 pm

I've been shot at once and another time a rock the size of a football was thrown through my bedroom window at like 2am and landed next to my pillow about 2 feet away.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:22 pm

Phatferd wrote:I've been shot at once and another time a rock the size of a football was thrown through my bedroom window at like 2am and landed next to my pillow about 2 feet away.

And you still live in California?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Phatferd wrote:I've been shot at once and another time a rock the size of a football was thrown through my bedroom window at like 2am and landed next to my pillow about 2 feet away.

And you still live in California?

I'm in Phoenix right now, but moving back to California in a month.

This all happened in Orange County too! It really came down to a family moved into the neighborhood with some punk kids and began vandalising the area. They would break into garages and steal stuff, mess with people's cars, etc. My mom was the only one on the street to stand up to them, so we kind of had a target on our back. We moved...

Actually right before we moved one of the sons was arrested because he robbed a gas station around the corner with a gun.

I came home from Borat last week to a dude sitting in front of my door drinking 2 40's of Olde English. That was an interesting situation.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:22 pm

acsguitar wrote:I don't consider myself a "racist" but it sure didn't make it easier for me to trust a certain race unfortunately.

I don't want to turn this into a race debate, but if the people who did this to you would have been of your race, would you find it hard to trust people the same race as you?
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:25 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
acsguitar wrote:I don't consider myself a "racist" but it sure didn't make it easier for me to trust a certain race unfortunately.

I don't want to turn this into a race debate, but if the people who did this to you would have been of your race, would you find it hard to trust people the same race as you?

I don't want to turn this into a race debate either, and although I'm not in any way racist, I'm also a realist and I recognize that some stereotypes are more true than we'd generally like them to be.

Here's a vent:

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:48 pm

How old were these kids (about)?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby BritSox » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:00 pm

They had to be 16 at the oldest, as the sixth form (16-18) don't wear uniform. I'd guess 15. Which is why I laughed when the first one punched me, which in retrospect wasn't the best idea.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby acsguitar » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:

All I'm saying as a 12 year old if that it obviously wasn't the best "impression" made on me.

As impressionable young people alot of things make up who we are and unfortunately that situation didn't sit well with me at all. Had it been a white kid who did it I probably would've taken something from it. Maybee the way he dresses maybee his accent.. who knows.

I see where you are coming from. I think however, that its hard to call everyone a racist and not understand any background to the situation. I definitly don't trust every white person nor every black person nor mexican nor whatever....I'm just saying that that specific situation didn't exactly make a good impression on me.

When it comes down to it I've learned that its the color of your skin that makes a difference but rather your charecter.

I learned alot about racism when I went to college in south carolina and you really learn the ins and outs of racism.

Going into college I tried to be pretty open to everyone. However, Charleston is pretty segregated. The black kids didn't wanna hang out with the white kids and the other way around. Lets just say some of the worst people I've met are white guys in South Carolina.

Anyways my point was that currently I don't consider myself a racist but the trust issue is something I will need to work on. I've had many black, mexican, jewish, gay etc... friends. I'm open to everyone. I think I'm just not a trusting person with anyone to begin with. But it does make it hard if a certain type of person keeps picking on you obviously you are going to make associations.

Another point to my obviously long rant....When I got to college I didn't wanna be a frat kid so I wasn't. When I would rarely go to their parties I was treated like crap and people always tried to pick fights with me. I at the time had long hair and was pretty much a stoner kid. From that point on I didn't trust frat kids. However, I've learned that you can't lump a whole group of people into one category. Its something I need to work on but I'm not afraid to admit it. Is it worse for me to say that a black kid stole from me and it hurt my impression of them then to just ignore it and pretend thats just the way it is.

Anyways big ups respek
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk