Now that ARam is most likely gone..... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Postby Joe LaCock » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:29 pm

1) I am not upset if ARAM is gone. I did not like giving him such a big contract. The guy has a lot of dog in him.

2) I want Zito. Yeah- you'll have to overpay for him BUT the guy has never missed a start. In the mediocre NL, I'll take it. With our recent history of Prior and Wood, I like the fact that he is a guy we can rely on.

3) If the Cubs get Zito, they'll need one more starter. Redman, Meche, or even Marquis would be nice to put in that 3 spot. Hill, Miller, and maybe Prior would fill out the rotation. And all those other kids would be around. If I am the Cub brass, I count Miller and Prior as 1 pitcher because we know one will be hurt.

4) With the money that Aram and Wood contracts free up, there is no reason not to get a Zito and another stud offensive player. If they go into next year with an outfield of Murton, Pierre, and Jones, then the offseason was a complete failure. Make a splash Cubs- get Soriano, resign Pierre, and either trade Murton or Jones. Let's face it the Jones contract was a mistake. Not that he had an awful year but he is not what they need. They need more thumpers!

5) Questions I still have- who would replace Aram at 3rd? Huff is out there. If they get Soriano and Pierre back, what is the lineup? (Soriano has been much better at the lead-off spot.)

Random thoughts. Joe
Joe LaCock
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Tinley Park, IL

Postby cubsrock » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:22 pm

They got ARam back, now I think they need to get pierre back and try to sign Zito and soriano and/or lee.
cubsrock
College Coach
College Coach


Posts: 103
Joined: 30 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Postby ThatDude » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:07 pm

Joe LaCock wrote:1) I am not upset if ARAM is gone. I did not like giving him such a big contract. The guy has a lot of dog in him.

2) I want Zito. Yeah- you'll have to overpay for him BUT the guy has never missed a start. In the mediocre NL, I'll take it. With our recent history of Prior and Wood, I like the fact that he is a guy we can rely on.

3) If the Cubs get Zito, they'll need one more starter. Redman, Meche, or even Marquis would be nice to put in that 3 spot. Hill, Miller, and maybe Prior would fill out the rotation. And all those other kids would be around. If I am the Cub brass, I count Miller and Prior as 1 pitcher because we know one will be hurt.

4) With the money that Aram and Wood contracts free up, there is no reason not to get a Zito and another stud offensive player. If they go into next year with an outfield of Murton, Pierre, and Jones, then the offseason was a complete failure. Make a splash Cubs- get Soriano, resign Pierre, and either trade Murton or Jones. Let's face it the Jones contract was a mistake. Not that he had an awful year but he is not what they need. They need more thumpers!

5) Questions I still have- who would replace Aram at 3rd? Huff is out there. If they get Soriano and Pierre back, what is the lineup? (Soriano has been much better at the lead-off spot.)

Random thoughts. Joe



1) Great news that Aramis is here for the next 5 or 6 years.

2) Zito would be a horrible signing. A flyball pitcher in a home run park is not a good mix, especially when we already have a lefty with a big curve in Hill.

3) Redman, Meche, and Marquis are all garbage. If I'm going to take a flyer on a back of the rotation veteran, I'll roll the dice with Padilla. But I'd prefer not to sign any of those back-end veterans. They won't be worth their contracts, and it's fairly likely that the kids will outperform them anyway.

4) Murton is rock solid. No way would I trade him. Pierre is absolute garbage, and thank god they aren't looking to bring him back. The trade for him was bad enough, no reason to add insult to injury by bringing him back again.

5) Nobody is replacing Aramis at 3B, and it's a very good thing.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Postby RugbyD » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:51 pm

ThatDude wrote:
Joe LaCock wrote:1) I am not upset if ARAM is gone. I did not like giving him such a big contract. The guy has a lot of dog in him.

2) I want Zito. Yeah- you'll have to overpay for him BUT the guy has never missed a start. In the mediocre NL, I'll take it. With our recent history of Prior and Wood, I like the fact that he is a guy we can rely on.

3) If the Cubs get Zito, they'll need one more starter. Redman, Meche, or even Marquis would be nice to put in that 3 spot. Hill, Miller, and maybe Prior would fill out the rotation. And all those other kids would be around. If I am the Cub brass, I count Miller and Prior as 1 pitcher because we know one will be hurt.

4) With the money that Aram and Wood contracts free up, there is no reason not to get a Zito and another stud offensive player. If they go into next year with an outfield of Murton, Pierre, and Jones, then the offseason was a complete failure. Make a splash Cubs- get Soriano, resign Pierre, and either trade Murton or Jones. Let's face it the Jones contract was a mistake. Not that he had an awful year but he is not what they need. They need more thumpers!

5) Questions I still have- who would replace Aram at 3rd? Huff is out there. If they get Soriano and Pierre back, what is the lineup? (Soriano has been much better at the lead-off spot.)

Random thoughts. Joe



1) Great news that Aramis is here for the next 5 or 6 years.

2) Zito would be a horrible signing. A flyball pitcher in a home run park is not a good mix, especially when we already have a lefty with a big curve in Hill.

3) Redman, Meche, and Marquis are all garbage. If I'm going to take a flyer on a back of the rotation veteran, I'll roll the dice with Padilla. But I'd prefer not to sign any of those back-end veterans. They won't be worth their contracts, and it's fairly likely that the kids will outperform them anyway.

4) Murton is rock solid. No way would I trade him. Pierre is absolute garbage, and thank god they aren't looking to bring him back. The trade for him was bad enough, no reason to add insult to injury by bringing him back again.

5) Nobody is replacing Aramis at 3B, and it's a very good thing.

2) Agreed. no way he fulfills his paycheck in Wrigley.

3) For $10mm/yr, which is what Padilla is looking for, I pass without pause. I like Meche as a moderately priced #4/#5. He made a big step last year after he started using a 2-seam fastball and there's still incremental improvement to be had. The Cubs need to go into ST with 6+ SPs. Z, Prior, Miller, Hill, Meche, Marshall, + other youngins isn't so bad, especially for the overall cost considering we have to dump plenty more $$ into the offense. If one or 2 of the youngins does come through, Meche will have some trade value. Not a ton, but enough.

4) 100%
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 5591
Joined: 7 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: punting small dogs and being surly

Re: Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Postby ThatDude » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:57 am

RugbyD wrote:3) For $10mm/yr, which is what Padilla is looking for, I pass without pause. I like Meche as a moderately priced #4/#5. He made a big step last year after he started using a 2-seam fastball and there's still incremental improvement to be had. The Cubs need to go into ST with 6+ SPs. Z, Prior, Miller, Hill, Meche, Marshall, + other youngins isn't so bad, especially for the overall cost considering we have to dump plenty more $$ into the offense. If one or 2 of the youngins does come through, Meche will have some trade value. Not a ton, but enough.


He can ask for it all he wants, he's not going to get 10M a year. That said, I'm still not big on him.

If it's a choice between signing a starter or going into the season with what we have now, I'll go with what we have now. I can't see any FA starter as a good signing, except for Matsuzaka, but I've got no delusions about us getting him.


I'd much rather swing a trade for a starter that's under a decent contract than to overpay for mediocrity in this market.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Now that ARam is most likely gone.....

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:11 am

RugbyD wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
Joe LaCock wrote:1) I am not upset if ARAM is gone. I did not like giving him such a big contract. The guy has a lot of dog in him.

2) I want Zito. Yeah- you'll have to overpay for him BUT the guy has never missed a start. In the mediocre NL, I'll take it. With our recent history of Prior and Wood, I like the fact that he is a guy we can rely on.

3) If the Cubs get Zito, they'll need one more starter. Redman, Meche, or even Marquis would be nice to put in that 3 spot. Hill, Miller, and maybe Prior would fill out the rotation. And all those other kids would be around. If I am the Cub brass, I count Miller and Prior as 1 pitcher because we know one will be hurt.

4) With the money that Aram and Wood contracts free up, there is no reason not to get a Zito and another stud offensive player. If they go into next year with an outfield of Murton, Pierre, and Jones, then the offseason was a complete failure. Make a splash Cubs- get Soriano, resign Pierre, and either trade Murton or Jones. Let's face it the Jones contract was a mistake. Not that he had an awful year but he is not what they need. They need more thumpers!

5) Questions I still have- who would replace Aram at 3rd? Huff is out there. If they get Soriano and Pierre back, what is the lineup? (Soriano has been much better at the lead-off spot.)

Random thoughts. Joe



1) Great news that Aramis is here for the next 5 or 6 years.

2) Zito would be a horrible signing. A flyball pitcher in a home run park is not a good mix, especially when we already have a lefty with a big curve in Hill.

3) Redman, Meche, and Marquis are all garbage. If I'm going to take a flyer on a back of the rotation veteran, I'll roll the dice with Padilla. But I'd prefer not to sign any of those back-end veterans. They won't be worth their contracts, and it's fairly likely that the kids will outperform them anyway.

4) Murton is rock solid. No way would I trade him. Pierre is absolute garbage, and thank god they aren't looking to bring him back. The trade for him was bad enough, no reason to add insult to injury by bringing him back again.

5) Nobody is replacing Aramis at 3B, and it's a very good thing.

2) Agreed. no way he fulfills his paycheck in Wrigley.

3) For $10mm/yr, which is what Padilla is looking for, I pass without pause. I like Meche as a moderately priced #4/#5. He made a big step last year after he started using a 2-seam fastball and there's still incremental improvement to be had. The Cubs need to go into ST with 6+ SPs. Z, Prior, Miller, Hill, Meche, Marshall, + other youngins isn't so bad, especially for the overall cost considering we have to dump plenty more $$ into the offense. If one or 2 of the youngins does come through, Meche will have some trade value. Not a ton, but enough.

4) 100%


1. damn glad ARam is back for the long haul, his power numbers are amazing...

2. if the cubs go after Zito it will be the stupidest move made yet by them...not a good fit AT ALL...

3. meche would be a decent fit here, and i would like the looks of that rotation...but Hill is one of the better young guns in that organization right now and i think will really help out this year...also i know Cotts only has a couple pitches and not all that over powering, but he did come into the league as a starting pitcher, any chance he adds a couple pitches and puts some juice on a couple as it wouldn't be too hard for him (his mechanics are flawless) and possibly be the tail end pitcher?? Z, Prior, Hill, Meche, and then Miller, Marshall and Cotts battle for #5?

4. can't possibly be a cubs fan stating this, cuz if it is you are throwing out a future featured cubbies outfielder...this guy is going to be the real deal, at the end of the year he was looking alot better, he had his spurts and i think he puts together a rock solid season...

5. don't worry about aram, and i don't belive soriano will hit leadoff, im actually guessing soriano, dlee, aram to hit 3-4-5 in that order...but thats just my .02....
Image

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafeholic
Posts: 2693
Joined: 4 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Chicago Cubs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact