My minor league dudes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

My minor league dudes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My minor league dudes

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:11 am

It's a league that tries to emulate real MLB, only with 2 fewer teams(Ari and TB). So, 28 teams league with 6x6 scoring(OBP and Holds and the original 5x5) I started out with the Oakland A's and all of their farm circa 2005 opening day plus their draft picks(including compensation picks) afterward. But not guys they got in trades(aka: Tadano). As you can see, I traded most of the top guys to build my major league team(like Barton, Herrera). And have a lot of prospects from other teams.

ps. any non-top prospects by the A's you don't see listed here are probably still on my team.

My ranking(for whatever it's worth) for my top prospects.

Now I'd appreciate some comments on those not so well known prospects(read: anyone but Lincecum and Kouz) and I'd like to hear your thoughts on how I should alter the list. And how much do you think I weakened my farm compare to the real Oakland A's farm.

Thanks and have a great day ;-D

1. Timothy Lincecum-RHP, Grade A
2. Kevin Kouzmanoff-3B, Grade A-
3. Scott Elbert-LHP, Grade A-
4. Kevin Melillo-2B, Grade B+
5. Mitch Talbot-RHP, Grade B+
6. Jason Windsor-RHP, Grade B
7. Kurt Suzuki-C, Grade B
8. Dexter Fowler-CF, Grade B
9. Juan Salas-RHP, Grade B
10. Corey Wimberly-2B, Grade B-
11. Kyle Blanks-1B, Grade B-
12. Matt Maloney-RHP, Grade B-
13. Chris Nelson-SS, Grade C+
14. Christopher Parmelee-OF, Grade C+
15. Richie Robnett-OF, Grade C+
16. Jimmy Shull-RHP, Grade C+
17. Jared Burton-RHP, Grade C+
18. Jason Ray-RHP, Grade C+
19. Chris Seddon-LHP, Grade C
20. Jared Lansford-RHP, Grade C
21. Jason Ray-RHP, Grade C
22. Vincent Mazzaro, Grade C
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Hurt CPOY 06 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:25 pm

I really like some of the guys you have on there. Windsor didn't really impress in the minimal time he saw with the big league club, but he still has major talent.

I am participating in a 10 team minor league draft od 10 players. Would you consider taking Lincecum with the 2nd overall pick or do you think he is that valuable?

Who are some of the guys that you would consider legit 1st rounders?
The Big Hurt was robbed!

Big Hurt CPOY 06
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:01 pm

Big Hurt CPOY 06 wrote:I really like some of the guys you have on there. Windsor didn't really impress in the minimal time he saw with the big league club, but he still has major talent.

I am participating in a 10 team minor league draft od 10 players. Would you consider taking Lincecum with the 2nd overall pick or do you think he is that valuable?

Me think 2nd overall is a wee bit(well, way too early) for Lincecum.

Alex Gordon will probably go #1(with Delmon DQAed) and after Gordon I'd actually go with Brandon Wood, who's the most MLB ready superstar bat left. There are questions about where he'll play. But as long as he can hit. I don't care. Other guys to consider at #2 overall and the problem they have.

Philip Hughes-stamina issue, and being a pitching prospect(See Dan Meyer)
Billy Butler-my next choice, doesn't have a defensive position
Homer Bailey-being a Cincy SP prospect
Cameron Maybin-far, far away?

ps. if that Japanese pitcher is available to pick, get him at #2. Daisuke Matsuzaka is the name.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: My minor league dudes

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:07 pm

1. Timothy Lincecum-RHP, Grade A
At least a year away from ML contribution but has some issues about where he will contribute (RP vs SP) Either way, he's good.

2. Kevin Kouzmanoff-3B, Grade A-
Too high. Kouzmanoff is good and will contribute to San Diego this coming year but he's not an A- and not your second best prospect, unless you are heavily weighting closeness to the majors. Don't expect many HR out of him and unless SD gets another bat or two his R and RBI won't be anything too special. Also, he's a 1B.

3. Scott Elbert-LHP, Grade A-
Should be ranked higher. Maybe even #1. Tremendous left handed strikeout pitcher who's about two years away.

4. Kevin Melillo-2B, Grade B+
Good hitting, weak devensive 2B. If he sticks at 2B you'll have a decent fantasy player on your hands. He's not a great option but he'll do as a cheap player at a position that's very thin.

5. Mitch Talbot-RHP, Grade B+
Does a great job limiting home runs and walks. Fairly good strikeout pitcher. Those are good indicators of good fantasy production. Give him another year before you expect anything out of him but keep an eye on him as a guy to potentially sell high on during the season.

6. Jason Windsor-RHP, Grade B
Probably rated a little high here but a nice prospect. He has a plus change and a good fastball but that's about it. He needs another pitch or he'll find himself in the bullpen. He should be given a fair shot at a starting spot in Spring Training and if he wins a job, he could be moderately productive, a la Joe Blanton of 2006.

7. Kurt Suzuki-C, Grade B
Like Melillo, he'll be a good, cheap option at a position that has little servicable talent. Counting OBP really helps his value. His big question will be whether or not he can catch 120+ games a year. He's a guy you'll probably want to hang on to unless you've got a better option like Mauer, McCann, Saltamacchia, Clement or Iannetta.

8. Dexter Fowler-CF, Grade B
Decent young project. He's definitely 2+ years away and needs to add some bulk. I doubt he'll be much more than a .270 hitter but if he adds some muscle he can make up for that with some home runs. He has a fairly good eye but won't post a tremendous OBP.

9. Juan Salas-RHP, Grade B
Nothing special. He's old and probably won't make any significant contribution to a major league team, let alone your fantasy team. He's ranked much too high.

10. Corey Wimberly-2B, Grade B-
Speedster with moderate hitting skills. He has no power and minimal power potential. I doubt he'll hit 10 HR in a season at any level. He does have a good eye though and a short, compact swing that leads to a high contact rate. Like Melillo and Suzuki, a good guy to have around because if he pans out you'll have a cheap player at a shallow position.

11. Kyle Blanks-1B, Grade B-
Blanks has huge power potential. I would say he needs to improve his ability to take work deep into counts and to take walks and his biggest asset is his power potential. BUT be warned that he is in the Padres system so, Kouzmanoff, you can expect his power production to be hindered to an extent.

12. Matt Maloney-RHP, Grade B-
Maloney struggles with control and needs to cut down on walks. He's two years away yet.

13. Chris Nelson-SS, Grade C+
Dump him. He shouldn't be on this list. He repeated A ball and his numbers didn't really improve. He won't hit the big leagues.

14. Christopher Parmelee-OF, Grade C+
Needs to strikeout less and take more pitches. He won't be a great contributor, in all likelihood, to OBP. He should be rated higher, IMO and could move through the system faster than most high school players. He needs to shorten his swing to cut down on K's and learn that power will come.

15. Richie Robnett-OF, Grade C+
I can't say I've been impressed with him, or that he's got much or any promise.

16. Jimmy Shull-RHP, Grade C+
Haven't seen him but word of his tremendous control spread quickly this year. I can't speak to whether that was because the competition at A- was worse than what he faced in college or if he just went on an 80 inning hot streak.

17. Jared Burton-RHP, Grade C+
Generally speaking, minor league relievers don't have bright futures unless they have tremendous K/9 and BB/9 rates. He doesn't. Since you count holds, he might hold some value but it is very limited.

18. Jason Ray-RHP, Grade C+
His development has been disappointing to say the least. His fantasy future is questionable and his fantasy value is limited. I don't think he has enough gas to be a starter and doesn't have the skills to be a reliever of fantasy worth.

19. Chris Seddon-LHP, Grade C
You've made a lot of trades with the D-Rays, huh? Seddon is nothing special. He's a fifth starter for 2 or 3 major league teams which makes him questionable for your purposes.

20. Jared Lansford-RHP, Grade C
Can't overpower or dominate a game but definitely forces bad contact. He could hold some value despite the low K potential.

21. Jason Ray-RHP, Grade C
Listed twice

22. Vincent Mazzaro, Grade C
Very erratic and very hittable.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:12 pm

Big Hurt CPOY 06 wrote:I really like some of the guys you have on there. Windsor didn't really impress in the minimal time he saw with the big league club, but he still has major talent.

That's way too early for Lincecum. As mentioned, Young, Gordon, Maybin, Butler and Wood are very good choices for being the best and being the closest. I agree with Brandon Wood and will add Justin Upton. Upton and Maybin are further away. I'd shy away from pitchers with that second pick but when it comes your turn in the second round if any of the top five are available, take them without hesitation. Hughes, Bailey, Pelfrey, Gallardo, Elbert etc. would be good picks. (If it's not a snake drop Gallardo and Elbert from that list)
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whoseyourdaddy12 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Lincecum is still years away from the majors.
Rubber Game Roster
ImageImage
whoseyourdaddy12
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Mission: break the curse of the Chicago Cubs in Rubber Game

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:50 pm

hmm, interesting that you mentioned Elbert as a high upside guy. I've read in a lot of places that he has a good(but not great) fastball with no real good offspeed pitches what so ever. So you think those will come?

And to be fair for me. I didn't really pay anything to get Seddon. I gave up Hinske for Blanks and 2 months of Brian Shouse, then trade Shouse away for Seddon, because I have no where to play Shouse.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:55 pm

Also, another thing. I have the 2nd overall pick in a minor league dispersal draft that's coming up in 2-3 months. I can pick from what's left of the TB/Ari organization and all of their 2006 draft picks. I know Longoria will probably go #1. So who's the next best guy.

Minor league players taken(man, did Shappi fail badly or what?)

Round One
1. Nationals: Delmon Young, RF, TB
2. Rockies (Acq from Blue Jays): BJ Upton, SS, TB
3. Pirates: Stephen Drew, SS, ARI
4. Orioles: Conor Jackson, 1B, ARI
5. Angels: Carlos Quentin, OF, ARI
6. Blue Jays (Acq from Rockies): Johny Gomes, OF, TB
7. Royals: Dustin Nippert, SP, ARI
8. Twins: Carlos Gonzales, OF, ARI
9. Padres: Jeff Niemann, SP, TB
10. Red Sox: Elijah Dukes, OF, TB
11. Mariners: Wes Bankston, 1B
12. Tigers: Joey Gathright, OF, TB
13. Giants: Jason Hammell, SP, TB
14. Dodgers: Wade Davis, P, TB
15. Cardinals: Sergio Santos, SS, ARI
16. Indians: Brignac, Reid, SS, TB
17. Cubs: Andrew Sonnanstine, SP, TB
18. Mets: Miguel Montero, C, ARI
19. Reds: Cesar Nicolas, 1B, ARI
20. Braves: Garret Mock, SP, ARI
21. Phillies: Jamie Shields, SP, TB
22. White Sox: Jamie J. D'Antona, 3B, ARI
23. Yankees: John Jaso, C, TB
24. Marlins: Dan Uggla, 2B/OF, ARI
25. Astros: Matt Walker, RHP, TB
26. Rangers: James Houser, SP, TB
27. Nationals (Acq from A's): Matt Chico, SP, ARI
28. Brewers: Josh Kroeger, OF, ARI

Round Two
29. Nationals: Micah Owings, SP, ARI
30. Blue Jays: Andy Green, 2b, ARI
31. Pirates: Chris Carter, DH, ARI
32. Orioles: Enrique Gonzalez, RHP, ARI
33. Angels: Skipped (can pick at any time)
34. Rockies: Greg Smith, RHP, ARI
35. Royals: Jake McGee, SP, TB
36. A's (Acq From Twins): AJ Shappi, P, ARI
37. Padres: Shawn Riggans, C, TB
38. Red Sox: Reggie Abercrombie, OF, AZ
39. Mariners: Brandon Medders, RP, AZ
40. Tigers: Matt Elliot, RHP, Arizona
41. Giants: Skipped
42. Dodgers: Josh Hamilton, OF, TB
43. Cardinals: Jon Zeringue, OF, Arizona
44. A's (acq from Indians): Dewon Brazelton, SP, TB
45. Cubs: Jarred Ball, OF, ARI
46. Mets: Jose De La Cruz, P, TB
47. Reds: Ross Ohlendorf, RHP, ARI
48. Braves: Jon Barratt, LHP TB
49. Phillies: Brandon Mann, LHP, TB
50. White Sox: Skipped
51. Yankees: Fernando Perez, CF, TB
52. Nationals (Acq from Marlins): Shawn Cumberland, OF, TB
53. Astros: Skipped
54. Rangers: Matthew C Spring, C, TB
55. Nationals (Acq from A's): Jerome Milons, CF, ARI
56. Brewers: Mike Gosling, P, ARI

1. Red Sox(Acq From Nats) - Justin Upton CF/SS (Ari)
2. Blue Jays - Tony Pena (aka Adriano Rosario) P (Ari)
3. Pirates - OF Chris Rahl (Ari)
6. A's (Acq From Rockies) - RP Juan Salas (TB)
7. Royals - RHP Wade Townsend (TB)
8. Twins - RHP Matt Torra (Ari)
9. Padres - RHP Chris Mason (TB)
10. Red Sox - RHP Jeremy Hellickson (TB)
11. Padres(Acq From Mariners) - P Matt Green (Ari)
12. Tigers - P Michael Wlodarczyk (TB)
16. Indians -- RP Ryan Doherty (ARI)
17. Cubs -- 2B Elliot Johnson (TB)
18. Mets -- Adam Howard (ARI)
25. Astros --- RHP Kyler Newby (Ari)
27. Athletics – traded to Mariners - traded back to A's -- P Tim Corcoran (TB)
28. Brewers -- Michael McCormick (TB)

you get the idea. Thoughts? Too early for Desmond Jennings right?
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:38 pm

I don't know who you should select with your pick but the Diamondbacks took a guy with the 34th pick (I think) I can't recall his name but I have a few friends who are big D-backs fans who are really high on him.

I'd probably go ahead and trust the Diamondbacks or Devil Rays front office and take the earliest drafted college hitter, unless there are plenty of others who were drafted earlier.

I'd also see what you can do to trade up to get Longoria. I'm pretty high on him, especially after his performance in the SL playoffs.

On Elbert:
He has consistently adjusted his game over the course of each season and each level. He has tremendous poise and good command. As far as his pitches go, for the most part you're right. He doesn't have a tremendous arsenal at his disposal. He has a potentially plus fastball and change and a below average to average breaking ball. But he certainly has the potential to develop to improve those pitches and if not add some, he could be a fine reliever in a setup or closer role.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PlayingWithFire » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:42 pm

Thanks for all the infos ;-D
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball