How much is one vote worth? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How much is one vote worth?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:wow stamp collecting awesome :-D


Did anyone see that Simpson's where they wanted to build a stamp museum across from Evergreen Terrace and Homer and all the residents got pissed off and demanded they don't build it? So, yeah, so instead of building the stamp museum there, the city had to locate it somewhere else and then Lisa is all like "I want to go to the stamp museum!" and so they go there and Homer is like "Why couldn't they build the stamp museum closer!"

See, it's funny because people around where I live get pissed off anytime they try to build a Wal-Mart, and then when they build one the next town over, everyone drives there to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stupid people. Stupid Wal-Mart.


i think it's the old NIMBY argument...certain things are great...just Not In My Back Yard


Right, that's what I was getting at it and that's why I found that episode to be so clever. Also near me they proposed to build an ethanol plant in a secluded, out-of-the way area. The plant would provide the area with E85 Ethanol, a boost to the local corn farmer economy (which is struggling) and create jobs. Everyone opposed it so adamantly that they left. It was like if you asked someone why they were opposing it, they didn't have a good reason. I couldn't see how the cons outweighed the pros, yet the 8 people who lived within 5 miles of the proposed plant screamed bloody murder.


People are dumb look who we elected to be leader of the world
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:40 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:wow stamp collecting awesome :-D


Did anyone see that Simpson's where they wanted to build a stamp museum across from Evergreen Terrace and Homer and all the residents got pissed off and demanded they don't build it? So, yeah, so instead of building the stamp museum there, the city had to locate it somewhere else and then Lisa is all like "I want to go to the stamp museum!" and so they go there and Homer is like "Why couldn't they build the stamp museum closer!"

See, it's funny because people around where I live get pissed off anytime they try to build a Wal-Mart, and then when they build one the next town over, everyone drives there to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stupid people. Stupid Wal-Mart.


i think it's the old NIMBY argument...certain things are great...just Not In My Back Yard


Right, that's what I was getting at it and that's why I found that episode to be so clever. Also near me they proposed to build an ethanol plant in a secluded, out-of-the way area. The plant would provide the area with E85 Ethanol, a boost to the local corn farmer economy (which is struggling) and create jobs. Everyone opposed it so adamantly that they left. It was like if you asked someone why they were opposing it, they didn't have a good reason. I couldn't see how the cons outweighed the pros, yet the 8 people who lived within 5 miles of the proposed plant screamed bloody murder.


People are dumb look who we elected to be leader of the world


Yeah, Rick Santorum won in my county by a higher margin than any other county in the state; and he got blown away by Bob Casey... so how do you think I feel?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:08 pm

Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:wow stamp collecting awesome :-D


Did anyone see that Simpson's where they wanted to build a stamp museum across from Evergreen Terrace and Homer and all the residents got pissed off and demanded they don't build it? So, yeah, so instead of building the stamp museum there, the city had to locate it somewhere else and then Lisa is all like "I want to go to the stamp museum!" and so they go there and Homer is like "Why couldn't they build the stamp museum closer!"

See, it's funny because people around where I live get pissed off anytime they try to build a Wal-Mart, and then when they build one the next town over, everyone drives there to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stupid people. Stupid Wal-Mart.


i think it's the old NIMBY argument...certain things are great...just Not In My Back Yard


Right, that's what I was getting at it and that's why I found that episode to be so clever. Also near me they proposed to build an ethanol plant in a secluded, out-of-the way area. The plant would provide the area with E85 Ethanol, a boost to the local corn farmer economy (which is struggling) and create jobs. Everyone opposed it so adamantly that they left. It was like if you asked someone why they were opposing it, they didn't have a good reason. I couldn't see how the cons outweighed the pros, yet the 8 people who lived within 5 miles of the proposed plant screamed bloody murder.


People are dumb look who we elected to be leader of the world


Yeah, Rick Santorum won in my county by a higher margin than any other county in the state; and he got blown away by Bob Casey... so how do you think I feel?


Wow that really stinks...so can you drive your car on a sunday or are you given some sort of scarlet letter?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:12 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
acsguitar wrote:wow stamp collecting awesome :-D


Did anyone see that Simpson's where they wanted to build a stamp museum across from Evergreen Terrace and Homer and all the residents got pissed off and demanded they don't build it? So, yeah, so instead of building the stamp museum there, the city had to locate it somewhere else and then Lisa is all like "I want to go to the stamp museum!" and so they go there and Homer is like "Why couldn't they build the stamp museum closer!"

See, it's funny because people around where I live get pissed off anytime they try to build a Wal-Mart, and then when they build one the next town over, everyone drives there to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stupid people. Stupid Wal-Mart.


i think it's the old NIMBY argument...certain things are great...just Not In My Back Yard


Right, that's what I was getting at it and that's why I found that episode to be so clever. Also near me they proposed to build an ethanol plant in a secluded, out-of-the way area. The plant would provide the area with E85 Ethanol, a boost to the local corn farmer economy (which is struggling) and create jobs. Everyone opposed it so adamantly that they left. It was like if you asked someone why they were opposing it, they didn't have a good reason. I couldn't see how the cons outweighed the pros, yet the 8 people who lived within 5 miles of the proposed plant screamed bloody murder.


People are dumb look who we elected to be leader of the world


Yeah, Rick Santorum won in my county by a higher margin than any other county in the state; and he got blown away by Bob Casey... so how do you think I feel?


Wow that really stinks...so can you drive your car on a sunday or are you given some sort of scarlet letter?


I call it "The County of Single-Issue Voters."

Sundays are dead although the commonwealth recently allowed alcohol sales on Sundays. Now if I can only convince them to sell me six packs :-?

Seriously though, every single business, restaurant, whatever that isn't a national chain is closed on Sunday here.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:16 pm

Wow, I'd like to hear more about this story.. I'm very curious if it was a forgery or not.

I took stamp collecting merit badge as a boy scout ( :-B ) and the Inverted Jenny was always treated with great reverence. Here's a picture for anyone too lazy or apathetic to google it-

Image
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:18 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Wow, I'd like to hear more about this story.. I'm very curious if it was a forgery or not.

I took stamp collecting merit badge as a boy scout ( :-B ) and the Inverted Jenny was always treated with great reverence. Here's a picture for anyone too lazy or apathetic to google it-

Image


Seems to me whoever sent the letter was short 15 cents.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 8840
Joined: 6 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby acsguitar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Simulacrum wrote:Wow, I'd like to hear more about this story.. I'm very curious if it was a forgery or not.

I took stamp collecting merit badge as a boy scout ( :-B ) and the Inverted Jenny was always treated with great reverence. Here's a picture for anyone too lazy or apathetic to google it-

Image


Seems to me whoever sent the letter was short 15 cents.


wooooo stamp!!!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:58 pm

Looks like it's probably a fake.

'Inverted Jenny' stamp looks fake, experts say

The Associated Press |
Posted November 15, 2006

FORT LAUDERDALE -- What was first thought to be a rare stamp worth up to $300,000 and used to mail an absentee ballot now appears to be a fake, experts said Tuesday.

Broward County Commissioner John Rodstrom discovered what was thought to be the famous "Inverted Jenny" stamp while reviewing absentee ballots for the Nov. 7 elections. There was no name on the envelope, so the vote didn't count.

Rodstrom noticed the stamp was from 1936 and had an upside-down World War I-era airplane -- the hallmark of an Inverted Jenny. It now appears the hype was all for nothing.

"It is our opinion, from what we've seen, that this stamp is questionable, and we are of the opinion at this point that it appears to be a reproduction," said Peter Mastrangelo, director of the Pennsylvania-based American Philatelic Society, which reviewed a digital photograph of the stamp.

He said an in-person review was needed to be sure, but that all indications are that the stamp is a counterfeit.

"The perforations on top and bottom do not match our reference copies," Mastrangelo said Tuesday. "The colors of the blue ink are consistent with the counterfeit."

The 24-cent Jenny stamps were printed in 1918. Sheets were run through presses twice to process all the colors, and on one pass, four Jenny sheets went through backward.

Inspectors caught the errors on three sheets and destroyed them, but a sheet of 100 stamps got through.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 11420
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Too bad..

Some people just have way too much time on their hands. Forge a priceless stamp and send it away just for kicks? I don't get it.
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Karrtertum and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Boston at Toronto
(12:37 pm)
Texas at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
San Francisco at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Miami at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
San Diego at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
NY Mets at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
Baltimore at Seattle
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact