Baseball Card - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Baseball Card

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Baseball Card

Postby Yoda » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:47 pm

I was going to get some baseball cards for Christmas and I do not know anything about them. Can someone give me a quick, dummy guide?
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Spiegs1106 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:30 am

I really dont know anything. There are a bunch of books out there. check amazon
Spiegs1106
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:35 am

I wouldn't know either. I used to collect baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards when I was 10 and stopped when I was 12 or 13, which was about the time when the card market supposedly crashed. I happened to stumble upon an 825-card box of Topps that I bought in 1993 and found a Derek Jeter rookie card. I wonder how much that will be valued at now.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:44 am

Check out Beckett.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:49 am

Lofunzo wrote:Check out Beckett.

Yeah, I used Beckett as a resource to get an accurate valuation on my Kobe Bryant rookie card too. ;-D I also subscribe to their e-mail newsletter, but am lazy to read it.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby RyanK » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:55 am

Depends what your looking for..

I havent bought cards in a few years but Bowman is always good for Rookies if thats something your looking for, Topps if your tyring to get a complete set at a reasonable price. Upper Deck had many diffent types of brands out there and some are more expensive than others because they cards are better and chances of high priced game worn/auto cards are there.

I was a set collecter and would collect Bowman for baseball. I liked Topps for football and Upper Deck for hockey...
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Yoda » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:31 am

RyanK wrote:Depends what your looking for..

I havent bought cards in a few years but Bowman is always good for Rookies if thats something your looking for, Topps if your tyring to get a complete set at a reasonable price. Upper Deck had many diffent types of brands out there and some are more expensive than others because they cards are better and chances of high priced game worn/auto cards are there.

I was a set collecter and would collect Bowman for baseball. I liked Topps for football and Upper Deck for hockey...

I mean if I wanted to start collecting some decent ones on eBay or something, what do I look for? Say someone like Miguel Cabrera.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby daullaz » Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:42 am

Yoda wrote:

I mean if I wanted to start collecting some decent ones on eBay or something, what do I look for? Say someone like Miguel Cabrera.

I haven't collected in several years either, but I'd try to find limited edition inserts (#X out of 5000, 10000, etc) if possible. I always like the "game-used" cards too (with pieces of jerseys or bats inserted into the card). But like I said I haven't collected for at least 10 years so I don't know how different things are now.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby RyanK » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:20 am

Yoda wrote:

If you want to collect just a single player, something I use to do also, I usually start by trying to get every rookie card of them (just the base set rookie cards, which would be part of the regular set, not Autographed or Game Worn rookie cards).

Then it just depends on if you want to go just the high end Game Worn and Auto route for that player or if just want to get as many cards as possible of that player.

What I would do is pick a top prospect from this past season or this upcoming season and try to collect them, becaues a player like miggy already has 1000's of cards out there.

http://www.beckett.com is a great site (as im looking around it now, something i havent done inawhile)

http://www.beckett.com/Navigation/Contr ... 961877&y=0

there are great deals on Miggy cards if that is who you want, but you can always search any player and it seems a lot of prices are reasonable priced

hope this helps
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 4)

Re: Baseball Card

Postby Pacman » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:28 am

Honus Wagner's card is supposed to be pretty good...
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to General Talk