How should I quit my job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How should I quit my job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Yeah, I am leaning that way. The only thing that bothers me is I don't want someone calling them (If I decide to pick up a 2nd job at a retailer to make extra cash when I move home) and asking them if I am rehireable. I technically wouldn't be, but it's not because I was a horrible worker and stole or anything.

1. they wouldn't know that you even worked at Old Navy unless you told them

2. even if they did somehow find out and called, you have a legitimate excuse.

College students no call/no show all the time. That is what employers hate. If you play it straight and say you just don't have the time, no one can punish you for choosing school over part-time work.

Yeah, I'm going to follow your advice. I want to put it on my resume because the job I have is a weekend job (pays 14 an hour for 3 days work so I still make enough money to support myself through school on that), but I would like to work a couple days during the week to make even more money (during the days) and I wouldn't mind looking into a Nordstroms or something more high end. The retail experience would be huge.

If it ever comes down to them having to call I will just say that I told them I needed some time off for school for a couple weeks and they couldn't grant me that wish so I had to quit on the spot without giving them 2 weeks.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:15 pm

The same way I quit my first job:

Put a giant, skinned horse's head in their bathroom.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ironman » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:32 pm

1337_Dude wrote:Fake your death.

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Put a giant, skinned horse's head in their bathroom.

These are funny because when I read the subject all I could thing of were goofy ways to quit your job.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Well, I get 20% off gift cards, so I am going to go in and buy a gift card then walk into my boss' office and quit.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:38 pm

ironman wrote:
1337_Dude wrote:Fake your death.

Absolutely Adequate wrote:Put a giant, skinned horse's head in their bathroom.

These are funny because when I read the subject all I could thing of were goofy ways to quit your job.

My dream way of quitting my old job at Wendy's was spelling "I Quit" with burgers on the grill and just leaving.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:15 pm

So I just got back from quitting and it couldn't have gone any better.

I walk into the store (get my gift card before I lose my discount), then walk into the manager's office. He is there with the other top manager. I tell them that I have to give my notice and that it seems likely that I will be unable to give the proper 2 weeks with it and that it has to be immediate.

Naturally the manager asks why and I told him "personal reasons". They automatically assumed a close family member is sick or dying, so I kind of ran with that. I didn't say anything like that, just let them think it. So they offered to put me on a leave of absence.

I told him I will be moving in early December so that might now really matter, but he told me he would do everything he could to transfer me when I moved. So basically I am still an employee who gets the discounts, plus when I move I already found the job I wanted a couple days during the week for some extra cash.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HiddenIdentity » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:20 pm

"But then I thought forget it. Since I'm going to get a bad reference I might as well beat the out of him or something. Take a crap on his chest, punch him continually in the neck, right? Who's going to believe that, if they call for a reference? 'Well, he dumped on my chest and punch me continually in the neck, if that's the kind of man you want to hire.' And they're like, 'you got the job. This..you're right. He is a looney tune, welcome, welcome to Kinko's."
Last edited by HiddenIdentity on Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Zito is God » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:20 pm

I work at Old Navy as well and there is only one problem I see with just leaving one day: When they hire, they don't call other stores, but they check some U.S. employement database to see if you are a color green, yellow, or red. Most companies do not hire red. Yellow needs special interviews, and green are all fine. I don't know anything more about this other then what I posted because one of the managers explained to me why they didn't even consider a certain individual who came in looking for a job, but if this database exists and is united between a given number of employers, you may come out unlucky when applying for non-degree jobs on the future (especially retail).

Now, I hope that made sense. Now, lets move on to freakin' Old Navy. Legally you can void your contract 5 seconds before your shift if you really wanted, you are an at-will employee. They don't need to give you a 2 week notice if they wanted to fire you, remember that.

Since you said you really don't care about what happens at your store since you're leaving, talk to them in a demanding voice. My example: NO ONE gets Christmas off in our store, ever. I came in and told them I needed two weeks off. They said they aren't giving them to me. I responded with that I have been around for a long time now and I already have tickets so I am going no matter what, if thats a problem I am more then happy to put in my two weeks that day and be outta there. Next day I got my weeks off. Ultimatums don't work when you need the job, but when you honestly don't care, it's really win-win for you.

Worst case scenario, just call out saying you have a massive fever and will be out for 3-4 days. This is believeable and they technically can't say anything.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:54 pm

I would just talk to them and say you don't wanna have to put in two weeks notice

Its retail they can hire someone else on the spot
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:17 pm

Phatferd wrote:So I just got back from quitting and it couldn't have gone any better.

I walk into the store (get my gift card before I lose my discount), then walk into the manager's office. He is there with the other top manager. I tell them that I have to give my notice and that it seems likely that I will be unable to give the proper 2 weeks with it and that it has to be immediate.

Naturally the manager asks why and I told him "personal reasons". They automatically assumed a close family member is sick or dying, so I kind of ran with that. I didn't say anything like that, just let them think it. So they offered to put me on a leave of absence.

I told him I will be moving in early December so that might now really matter, but he told me he would do everything he could to transfer me when I moved. So basically I am still an employee who gets the discounts, plus when I move I already found the job I wanted a couple days during the week for some extra cash.

See everything worked out just fine for you. ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk