How should I quit my job? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How should I quit my job?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How should I quit my job?

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:33 pm

I have a question about quitting. I really want to quit because I am super swamped with school this semester and it's the final 4 weeks (a lot of papers, reports, tests, etc.) and I just don't have the time to do both. I have had to call out sick a couple times in the past week just to allow me enough time to finish some papers.

Also, I am really not happy there. They talk down to you like you're in 5th grade, which is really understandable considering most of the people who work there. I am too old and experienced to work there anymore.

Another reason is I am moving back to Orange County after this semester for family reasons and I have already been hired to work at a catering company. I have filled out all the paperwork and am officially an employee even though I don't start til December.

Anyways, here is my quagmire. I really want to go in today and just quit and say I'm done, but I think I should really give my 2 weeks and leave on good terms. The problem with this is I am scheduled wayyyy too many hours and will be forced to call out because I have some group projects I have to work on for a class assignment.

How would leaving on bad terms with Old Navy effect me with future jobs? I worked for a tax office for 3 years and left on great terms and people tell me that most companies wont even call Old Navy asking anything if I have a job like the tax office on my resume?

What do you think I should do?
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:19 pm

If you can get by with one week, then do that, if not, just work whatever days you can. If they put up a fuss, let them understand that school is more important and that they will have to accpet that, regardless of whether or not 1 week is sufficient in their eyes. As Calvin would say, "Always look out for #1". That's you.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:25 pm

RugbyD wrote:If you can get by with one week, then do that, if not, just work whatever days you can. If they put up a fuss, let them understand that school is more important and that they will have to accpet that, regardless of whether or not 1 week is sufficient in their eyes. As Calvin would say, "Always look out for #1". That's you.

two weeks is a convention, not a rule. you arent required to give them any notice. give as much as you can, but dont sweat it. you already have references and any real job you get after college wont give a damn about old navy.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Quit it like Homer Simpson. Also, once you graduate, you wont even be listing Old Navy on your resume (most likely).
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 pm

Phat; explain your situation to Old Navy and explain that you will be unable to work your hours scheduled. Either they will let you quit unconditionally or give you flexible hours for the next two weeks. In any case, you have no reason to leave on good terms with Old Navy. Future employers will only contact past employers you list on your resume. This will not, in any way, affect your future employment. There is no real-world "permanent record."

Go in, tell them you can't work, and that's it. Or, better yet, just call and explain that your workload at school does not facilitate the requirements of employment by Old Navy. Retail outlets like this have an extremely high turnover rate. They will be more appreciative of you just getting out now than calling in sick or not showing up.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:39 pm

Which Old Navy do you work at, Phats?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:42 pm

Yeah, I am leaning that way. The only thing that bothers me is I don't want someone calling them (If I decide to pick up a 2nd job at a retailer to make extra cash when I move home) and asking them if I am rehireable. I technically wouldn't be, but it's not because I was a horrible worker and stole or anything.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:43 pm

Simulacrum wrote:Which Old Navy do you work at, Phats?

Camelback and 20th
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby 1337_Dude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Fake your death.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:45 pm

Phatferd wrote:Yeah, I am leaning that way. The only thing that bothers me is I don't want someone calling them (If I decide to pick up a 2nd job at a retailer to make extra cash when I move home) and asking them if I am rehireable. I technically wouldn't be, but it's not because I was a horrible worker and stole or anything.

1. they wouldn't know that you even worked at Old Navy unless you told them

2. even if they did somehow find out and called, you have a legitimate excuse.

College students no call/no show all the time. That is what employers hate. If you play it straight and say you just don't have the time, no one can punish you for choosing school over part-time work.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk