Ballot measures? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ballot measures?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:00 pm

The term inalienable rights (or unalienable rights) refers to a set of human rights that are said to be absolute, not awarded by human power, not transferable to another power, and incapable of repudiation. Several different sets of inalienable rights have been suggested by philosophers and politicians. Inalienable rights are defined as natural rights, but natural rights are not required by definition to be inalienable.

In "The Social Contract," Jean-Jacques Rousseau claims that the existence of inalienable rights is unnecessary for the existence of a constitution or a set of laws and rights. This idea of a social contract – that rights and responsibilities are derived from a consensual contract between the government and the people – is the most widely recognized alternative.

Samuel P. Huntington, an American political scientist, wrote that the "inalienable rights" argument from the Declaration of Independence was necessary because "The British were white, English, and Protestant, just as we were. They had to have some other basis on which to justify independence".
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Part of what makes the US great is that we all enjoy equal rights and freedoms. Are our rights not "unalienable" and granted to everyone? I don't recall anywhere in the Declaration of Independence or the Bill of rights where it says "except Mexicans."

Our rights are not inalienable. The phrase "unalienable rights" in the Declaration is referring to basic human rights. The U.S. is not denying inalienable rights by preventing illegral immigrants.

The measures we are talking about said nothing about preventing illegal immigrants. They are in place to prevent those already on American soil from having equal access to education, from being able to post bail (something we all have a right to, with a few notable exceptions), and from having legal recourse in a court of law. I consider these, especially access to education, a basic human right.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:17 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Part of what makes the US great is that we all enjoy equal rights and freedoms. Are our rights not "unalienable" and granted to everyone? I don't recall anywhere in the Declaration of Independence or the Bill of rights where it says "except Mexicans."

Our rights are not inalienable. The phrase "unalienable rights" in the Declaration is referring to basic human rights. The U.S. is not denying inalienable rights by preventing illegral immigrants.

The measures we are talking about said nothing about preventing illegal immigrants. They are in place to prevent those already on American soil from having equal access to education, from being able to post bail (something we all have a right to, with a few notable exceptions), and from having legal recourse in a court of law. I consider these, especially access to education, a basic human right.

They are on American soil illegally. No? We are not responsible for them.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

I agree. The problem is that any illegal can walk right into the emergency room for every problem they have and will be helped at the cost of taxpayers.

Thats total BS. I don't like paying for public schools that I don't attend and I may not choose to send my children too let alone pay for public schools that have to support illegal immigrants.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:50 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Amazinz wrote:

Are we responsible for you and me? Why am I deserving of an education but someone else isn't? Basic human rights should be granted to everyone...not just those who have matriculated legally to the United States. I will concede that we are not responsible for them per se, but I do think that we have a duty and an obligation to grant them the same rights and privileges that we all take advantage of.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:37 pm

To each his own but I have no duty nor an obligation to people who enter this country illegally and increase our burden. My obligation is to my family and in a grander sense to my fellow Americans.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk