Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:05 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:I like these that all passed here (overwhelmingly):

Prop. 100 - No bail for illegal immigrants

Prop. 102 - Limits on lawsuit damages for illegal immigrants

Prop. 103 - English as state's official language

Prop. 300 - Limit education services for illegal immigrants

W00t! ;-D

I don't generally like comparing modern-day things to slavery, but I think it's worth noting here that slaves as well were unable to post bail, unable to bring a lawsuit or bear witness in court, not allowed to speak their native tongues, and unable to be schooled. It was against the law to teach a black person how to read in most slave states. Woot indeed.

Unlike slaves, who were taken from their homes and forced to work at the wont of whoever owned them, these people have choices. If they make the choice to come here legally and pay taxes and such, then I've got no problem with them reaping the benefits of belonging to our society. If they make the choice to scurry across the border and setup shop illegally, I've got no problem with not giving them the same rights as our citizens. No problem whatsoever.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:08 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

W00t! ;-D

I don't generally like comparing modern-day things to slavery, but I think it's worth noting here that slaves as well were unable to post bail, unable to bring a lawsuit or bear witness in court, not allowed to speak their native tongues, and unable to be schooled. It was against the law to teach a black person how to read in most slave states. Woot indeed.

Unlike slaves, who were taken from their homes and forced to work at the wont of whoever owned them, these people have choices. If they make the choice to come here legally and pay taxes and such, then I've got no problem with them reaping the benefits of belonging to our society. If they make the choice to scurry across the border and setup shop illegally, I've got no problem with not giving them the same rights as our citizens. No problem whatsoever.

I just want the signs at the Filibertos to be in English so I know what hidden gems there are. I stick with the taco, burrito and torta. It's Pollo or Carne Asada...I have no idea what the other 12 styles of tacos and burritos are...
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Coppermine wrote:If English is the "official language" what does that change exactly? I don't think you can jail someone for speaking spanish in Arizona now all of a sudden. Does it means bilingual signs must be taken down?

I just don't understand the point.

Prop 103:

What this means is that the current waste being expended on providing documents and other government business in multiple languages would be ended. The burden would be put onto those who do not speak English to provide for their own translation services if they either don't know English or refuse to learn it.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

W00t! ;-D

I agree with this actually; I think it's a good idea to enforce our immigration laws. I realize that illegal immigration is a long, ongoing, complex problem facing America. There's no reason to irrational about it, but it needs to be addressed (failingly, as it has been of course for the past 20 years).

I'm in complete favor of legal immigration to America; that is, after all, what we're about... land of opportunity. I certainly wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that. But if you're here illegally, you broke US law and you shouldn't be exempt while some 20 year old smokes a joint and gets tossed in jail for it.

Vicente Fox is no help either. Whats the deal with this new Mexican president? I hear he's conservative, but how about illegal immigration?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Big Pimpin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:10 pm

Phatferd wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

W00t! ;-D

I just want the signs at the Filibertos to be in English so I know what hidden gems there are. I stick with the taco, burrito and torta. It's Pollo or Carne Asada...I have no idea what the other 12 styles of tacos and burritos are...

Sorry man, private businesses are not affected. :-/ :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Re: Ballot measures?

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:12 pm

California | Proposition 85: Parental Notification
Proposed amendment to the California Constitution would prohibit abortion for a minor until 48 hours after a physician notifies her parent or legal guardian, except in cases of medical emergency or a parental waiver.

Oregon | Measure 43: Parental Notification
Would require parental notification and 48-hour waiting period before a minor can receive an abortion. Exceptions would be provided for documented medical emergencies, not including rape or incest. Current Oregon law allows individuals 15 years or older to obtain an abortion without parental notification.

Both were defeated, and rightfuly so, because of the simple thought: What about cases of rape by a family member? Can you imagine asking a 15 year old girl who has just been raped by her father to go and ask his permission for an abortion?

These may have passed if all the "what-ifs" had been accounted for. Good job, voters!

Arizona | Proposition 103: English as Official Language
Would make English the official language of the state of Arizona and significantly reduce government sponsorship and funding of dual language-printed material for circulation.

This passed and is obviously going to change a lot. This is totally going to stop the influx of spanish! [/totally obvious sarcasm]

The part about cutting funding for dual language-printed material will have an impact in that many new immigrants won't know the laws/rules. If they don't know how to get cheap medical care now, for instance, they can just wait and go to the expensive emergency room later! It works for everyone!

Colorado | Amendment 42: Raise Minimum Wage
Proposed amendment to Colorado Constitution would raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85 an hour, then adjust the wage annually for inflation.

Proposed amendment to Ohio Constitution would set the state minimum wage at $6.85 an hour and mandate an increase indexed to inflation (specifically the Consumer Price Index) each year thereafter.

Brilliant. I love it. Get it up to a living wage, then tie it to inflation. This is a brilliant idea and they'll see that soon, much like the other states who have done the same thing.

Montana | Initiative 151: Raise Minimum Wage
Would raise Montana's minimum wage to either $6.15 an hour or the federal minimum wage, whichever is higher, and would add an annual cost-of-living adjustment to the state minimum wage. Under existing law, the state minimum wage is equal to the federal minimum wage, which is $5.15 an hour with no cost of-living adjustment.

Proposed amendment to Nevada Constitution would require employers to pay at least $6.15 per hour worked if the employer does not provide health benefits. The employer could still pay the federal minimum wage of $5.15 if health benefits are provided. Rates would be adjusted by the amount of increase in the federal minimum wage over $5.15 per hour, or, if greater, by the cumulative increase in the cost of living measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), with no CPI adjustment for any one-year period greater than 3%.

Good, but not quite good enough. Montana needs to tie theirs into the CPI.

Michigan | Proposition 2: Restrict Affirmative Action
Proposed amendment to Michigan Constitution would "prohibit the University of Michigan and other state universities, the state, and all other state entities from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin." On June 23, 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision in Grutter v. Bollinger, ruled in favor of affirmative action in the University of Michigan's admissions policies. The Bush administration opposed the university's pro-affirmative action admission policies.

This makes sense because everyone is on an equal playing field right now. If I send out a resume and a guy with a traditionally black name sends out the same resume, we have an equal chance of getting a job, for instance. Oh, hell, there I go using sarcasm again.

I don't like Affirmative Action, but it's a necessary evil at this point in our history. Nothing in America should be based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin but, unfortunately, it is. Black people have much less chance of getting good jobs/housing/pay. Until this is fixed, we need Affirmative Action.

South Dakota | Referendum 6: Ban on Abortion
Referendum on legislation signed by Gov. Mike Rounds (R) on March 6, 2006, which bans nearly all abortions in the state. The legislation is in direct conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion and is intended to serve as a constitutional challenge to that 1973 ruling. It would allow doctors to perform abortions only to save the lives of pregnant women, and would not allow for exceptions in the case of rape or incest.

Rightly defeated. Next on South Dakota's agenda: reintroduction of feudalism.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:13 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
Phatferd wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:

W00t! ;-D

Sorry man, private businesses are not affected. :-/ :-b

I think authentic Taco stands should be allowed to print their menu in Spanish. Google ranchos huevos if you have to.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:18 pm

Madison wrote:I don't see much discussion on actual ballot measures that were passed or defeated, so might as well have a thread about them :-B .

A few that struck me when I read them:

Michigan | Proposition 2: Restrict Affirmative Action
Proposed amendment to Michigan Constitution would "prohibit the University of Michigan and other state universities, the state, and all other state entities from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin." On June 23, 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision in Grutter v. Bollinger, ruled in favor of affirmative action in the University of Michigan's admissions policies. The Bush administration opposed the university's pro-affirmative action admission policies.

Passed. Nice job. ;-D Nothing in America should be based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. Everyone equal. Nice job. ;-D

yeah...but we shot down Dove hunting :-t
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:44 pm

Ok, I'll play. B-)

Absolutely Adequate wrote:
Proposed amendment to the California Constitution would prohibit abortion for a minor until 48 hours after a physician notifies her parent or legal guardian, except in cases of medical emergency or a parental waiver.

Would require parental notification and 48-hour waiting period before a minor can receive an abortion. Exceptions would be provided for documented medical emergencies, not including rape or incest. Current Oregon law allows individuals 15 years or older to obtain an abortion without parental notification.

Both were defeated, and rightfuly so, because of the simple thought: What about cases of rape by a family member? Can you imagine asking a 15 year old girl who has just been raped by her father to go and ask his permission for an abortion?

These may have passed if all the "what-ifs" had been accounted for. Good job, voters!

All they need to do is tack an addition to it dealing with rape/incest. Obviously that does change the scope of the situation, and I agree in a situation like you described (father rapes daughter) that it would be stupid to have the child go through that. Imagine that, I agree with you on something. ;-)

On the flipside though, by having the law in place, that would force the daughter to tell on her father instead of the made up "boyfriend" or "some guy at a party" excuse that's commonly given now. Then those idiots can be put in jail where they belong.

And I have to admit that I'm quite surprised that you believe a child has the mental capacity to make a decision like that without consulting a parental figure. Not all abortions are from being raped by one's father. ;-)

Colorado | Amendment 42: Raise Minimum Wage
Proposed amendment to Colorado Constitution would raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85 an hour, then adjust the wage annually for inflation.

Proposed amendment to Ohio Constitution would set the state minimum wage at $6.85 an hour and mandate an increase indexed to inflation (specifically the Consumer Price Index) each year thereafter.

Brilliant. I love it. Get it up to a living wage, then tie it to inflation. This is a brilliant idea and they'll see that soon, much like the other states who have done the same thing.

Tell that to the middle class that just got demoted to the poverty line. Tell that to the jobless, since some business owners will pull out of Colorado and Ohio due to wages going up at a ridiculous rate. A smaller rate hike would not have done as much damage as this is going to do.

I'd answer more of them and give you more ammo (since that's what this is all about anyway), but the rate hike argument has left me laughing in stitches that you think a rate hike of 33% on minimum wage is a good thing. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:57 pm

that part i agree with. if it isnt perfect it shouldnt be passed. but i think they should correct it and put it up again. rape and incest are estimated to account for only 1% of all abortions.

while i dont believe that abortion should be legal i think i have reasonably separated that from my opinion on whether or not a minor should have consent of some kind before having surgery. perhaps if the situation warrants it a case officer of some kind could give consent instead of the parent. i am legitimately concerned about the ability of a minor to make a decision in a stressful situation like that.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk