Ballot measures? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ballot measures?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ballot measures?

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm

I don't see much discussion on actual ballot measures that were passed or defeated, so might as well have a thread about them :-B .

A few that struck me when I read them:

California | Proposition 85: Parental Notification
Proposed amendment to the California Constitution would prohibit abortion for a minor until 48 hours after a physician notifies her parent or legal guardian, except in cases of medical emergency or a parental waiver.

Oregon | Measure 43: Parental Notification
Would require parental notification and 48-hour waiting period before a minor can receive an abortion. Exceptions would be provided for documented medical emergencies, not including rape or incest. Current Oregon law allows individuals 15 years or older to obtain an abortion without parental notification.

Both of these bills were defeated? 8-o So kids can continue to have abortions without their parents knowing? 8-o I have to be reading this wrong, right? 8-o

Arizona | Proposition 103: English as Official Language
Would make English the official language of the state of Arizona and significantly reduce government sponsorship and funding of dual language-printed material for circulation.

Passed. Nice job. ;-D

Colorado | Amendment 42: Raise Minimum Wage
Proposed amendment to Colorado Constitution would raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85 an hour, then adjust the wage annually for inflation.

Proposed amendment to Ohio Constitution would set the state minimum wage at $6.85 an hour and mandate an increase indexed to inflation (specifically the Consumer Price Index) each year thereafter.

Passed. 8-o That kind of hike in minimum wage? 33%? 8-o Say hello to major inflation. Anyone making over $7 took a hit and anyone making $7-$8 per hour or so just got royally screwed. A raise in minimum wage? Sure. That kind of raise? Insane, but they will soon see that for themselves.

Montana | Initiative 151: Raise Minimum Wage
Would raise Montana's minimum wage to either $6.15 an hour or the federal minimum wage, whichever is higher, and would add an annual cost-of-living adjustment to the state minimum wage. Under existing law, the state minimum wage is equal to the federal minimum wage, which is $5.15 an hour with no cost of-living adjustment.

Proposed amendment to Nevada Constitution would require employers to pay at least $6.15 per hour worked if the employer does not provide health benefits. The employer could still pay the federal minimum wage of $5.15 if health benefits are provided. Rates would be adjusted by the amount of increase in the federal minimum wage over $5.15 per hour, or, if greater, by the cumulative increase in the cost of living measured by the Consumer Price Index (CPI), with no CPI adjustment for any one-year period greater than 3%.

Both of these passed and are much, much more reasonable than what Colorado and Ohio did. ;-D

Michigan | Proposition 2: Restrict Affirmative Action
Proposed amendment to Michigan Constitution would "prohibit the University of Michigan and other state universities, the state, and all other state entities from discriminating against or granting preferential treatment based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin." On June 23, 2003, the U.S. Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision in Grutter v. Bollinger, ruled in favor of affirmative action in the University of Michigan's admissions policies. The Bush administration opposed the university's pro-affirmative action admission policies.

Passed. Nice job. ;-D Nothing in America should be based on race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin. Everyone equal. Nice job. ;-D

South Dakota | Referendum 6: Ban on Abortion
Referendum on legislation signed by Gov. Mike Rounds (R) on March 6, 2006, which bans nearly all abortions in the state. The legislation is in direct conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court's Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion and is intended to serve as a constitutional challenge to that 1973 ruling. It would allow doctors to perform abortions only to save the lives of pregnant women, and would not allow for exceptions in the case of rape or incest.

Defeated. Nice job. ;-D A woman who's raped or victim of incest has enough things to deal with, so it should be her right to have any possible pregnancy aborted in those cases.

Ok, huge can of worms, do discuss those that interest you. Oh, and remember to play nice. :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:46 pm

With the abortion one I think they have to be 18 now.

In Colorado the Gay partner basic rights was barely defeated.

It kinda pisses me off...but next time around I'm sure it'll win
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:51 pm

acsguitar wrote:With the abortion one I think they have to be 18 now.

The way it's worded (or at least the way I read it - which could be wrong) is that they wanted to put in a measure where the doctor had to notify the parents and wait at least 48 hours before giving an abortion to a minor.

Now a minor is someone under age 18, so this would be kids we're talking about that are getting abortions without their parents knowing about it.

Somehow this bill got defeated in both states? People over 18 voted to allow kids to continue to get abortions without doctors being required to notify the child's parents and wait at least 48 hours before doing the procedure? How on Earth did that get defeated? How on Earth did the law to allow minors to get abortions all by themselves with no parental involvement even get passed to begin with?

I've read this thing several times and I've got to be reading it wrong. It makes no sense! :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BritSox » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Madison wrote:

The way it's worded (or at least the way I read it - which could be wrong) is that they wanted to put in a measure where the doctor had to notify the parents and wait at least 48 hours before giving an abortion to a minor.

Now a minor is someone under age 18, so this would be kids we're talking about that are getting abortions without their parents knowing about it.

Somehow this bill got defeated in both states? People over 18 voted to allow kids to continue to get abortions without doctors being required to notify the child's parents and wait at least 48 hours before doing the procedure? How on Earth did that get defeated? How on Earth did the law to allow minors to get abortions all by themselves with no parental involvement even get passed to begin with?

I've read this thing several times and I've got to be reading it wrong. It makes no sense! :-o

I'm no fan of abortion, but wouldn't passing it have meant completely urinating all over any notion of doctor-patient confidentiality?
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:08 pm

For the life of me, I cannot understand how or why anti-gay marriage laws and ammendments continue to get passed.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:11 pm

BritSox wrote:
Madison wrote:

I'm no fan of abortion, but wouldn't passing it have meant completely urinating all over any notion of doctor-patient confidentiality?
Don't minors have to have their parents/guardians sign off on any surgery/medical procedure?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 382)

Postby Mugrila » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:For the life of me, I cannot understand how or why anti-gay marriage laws and ammendments continue to get passed.

It's bewildering to me as well. I thought descrimination is wrong...
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:15 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:For the life of me, I cannot understand how or why anti-gay marriage laws and ammendments continue to get passed.

I'm not sure either but I see that ending in the next few years
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:16 pm

b/c people don't want to walk down the street and catch gay, duh! ;-7
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Coppermine » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:32 pm

There are strong arguments against the legal notification law. If you're against abortion 100%, they don't apply to you, and we shouldn't be talking about such a polarizing subject. If you are totally against abortion, please don't attack the messenger. But, just to help educate, these are the proposed reasons that parental notification would be justifiably opposed (it was defeated in California and Oregon):

--Abortion restrictions are dangerous to young women's health, as young women who feel they cannot talk to their parents about their sex lives or about rape or incest that they may have suffered may seek illegal abortions as a result.

--Total abortion rates among teenagers are not affected by parental notification laws, as teenagers will often travel to a nearby state to have an abortion.

--Most professional medical societies oppose parental notification laws.

--In general, the only situation where a minor would not consult her parents about an abortion is in a dysfunctional family situation, where the minor's parents lack the basic competence to be entrusted with the decision about the minor's pregnancy. (If find this one particularly relevant)

--Delaying an abortion even if only by a couple of days, increases the likelihood of complications arising from abortion procedures. In fact, legal and safe abortions before the third trimester are less dangerous than childbirth for teens as they are 24 times more likely to die from childbirth complications than from a legal abortion performed in the first trimester. However, the risk of death or major complications significantly increases for each week into pregnancy, particularly if the abortion is delayed until the third trimester.

--Studies have found that mandatory parental notification for contraceptives would drastically decrease a teens use of sexual health care services, potentially increasing pregnancies and the spread of STDs.

And that's that.

I have mixed feelings about the English as official language thing, but I don't feel strongly about it either way enough to get worked up. We have bigger things to concern ourselves with and whether it's the official language or not, or whether or not it makes people feel better, I doubt anything would change.

I'm in favor of gay marriage, again, because it's not something that affects me or that I'm passionate about. Religion does not dictate the way I think and my morals have nothing to do with what gay people do. I don't get worked up about it either way though; I'll leave that to other people.

The minimum wage increase is high in Colorado, but so is the cost of living there. I think that may account for the large hike. I don't think raising the minimum wage is ever economically sound; however, I support strongly because I do believe it helps people tremendously. The Mont. and Nev. minimum wage increases seem more reasonable, but also reflect cost of living better.

And Affirmative Action; well, again, not something I get passionate about. I always though it was counter-productive to living in an equal and free society, but I had a college professor who brilliantly made me realize how complex the affirmative action issue truly is and revealed some of my own ignorance on the matter. Still, I withhold most of my judgment on it.

The stem cell initiative passed in Missouri, and marijuana legalization lost in both Nevada and Colorado. I don't think it should be legalized either; but I do think it should be decriminalized in small amounts.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk