Draft help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Draft help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft help

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:58 pm

League Settings: 16 Teams, Dynasty, H2H, Reg 5x5

It's currently am in the 14th round and I am debating between Jose Lopez and Cameron Maybin. Is Maybin too much of a talent to pass up at this point? Is it too early for him? Should I go ahead and take the last position I need? Or do I desperately need to take a closer?

2b taken:
Josh Barfield
Robinson Cano
Jorge Cantu
Marcus Giles
Tadahito Iguchi
Howie Kendrick
Ian Kinsler
Brandon Phillips
Brian Roberts
Dan Uggla
Chase Utley
Rickie Weeks

Closers Taken:
Chad Cordero
Francisco Cordero
Brian Fuentes
Mike Gonzalez
Jason Isringhausen
Bobby Jenks
Brad Lidge
Joe Nathan
Akinori Otsuka
J.J. Putz
Chris Ray
Mariano Rivera
Francisco Rodriguez
B.J. Ryan
Takaishi Saito
Huston Street
Billy Wagner
Bob Wickman
Joel Zumaya

Top Prospects Available:
Andy Marte
Cameron Maybin
Andrew McCutcheon
Jay Bruce
Scott Elbert
Yovani Gallardo
Andrew Miller
Evan Longoria
Jose Tabata

My roster:
C Ramon Hernandez
1b Nick Swisher
2b ----
3b David Wright
SS Orlando Cabrera
LF Jason Bay
CF Nick Markakis
RF Alex Rios
UTIL Jim Thome

SP Justin Verlander
SP Scott Kazmir
SP Cole Hamels
RP ----
RP ----
P Mark Prior
P Zach Duke
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sandman » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:27 pm

you might want to move this to a different forum...
Sandman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby FalcoAtL » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:39 pm

Nope, my question revolves around a minor league player, thus the reason I posted it here. Just because its a post asking for advice doesn't mean it can't be posted here.

Also, you might want to look at the person's profile you are giving advice to. If you had done this, then you would have noticed that I have been here much longer than you, which means I obviously know a LITTLE bit more about where certain posts belong.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Koby Schellenger » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:55 pm

I don't think you desperately need a closer. You could use one, but it's not a do or die type situation. There are plenty of guys that will be closing at some point in the not too distant future that you could draft or pick up that are likely not drafted yet.

I also don't think your 2B situation is too desperate. With 14 2B already taken there isn't too much risk of not getting your guy. If you don't get your guy there are a few others that are still available that are more than adequate.

As for Maybin, you've got to consider that you will not get much production, if any, out of him next year. I don't think it's too early to take him but he's a definite risk. He's still young and developing and adjusting but has so much potential. I'm presuming that you have all the intention in the world of waiting for him to come along which means he's even more viable for you. I think Maybin and Evan Longoria are the best available prospects for you to draft. Longoria because he's more ready to contribute, is seasoned and older. The pitchers are a little to unpredictable to take at this point in the draft in my opinion.

If you're ready to commit to a wasted draft pick for 1-2 years Maybin is a good pick. You're probably not losing too much because I think there's a fair chance Jose Lopez will still be available in the next round (or the following) and even if he isn't, there are still a couple decent options. I would keep Maybin and Longoria near the top of your list given your situation.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby greenandgold » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 pm

FalcoAtL wrote:Nope, my question revolves around a minor league player, thus the reason I posted it here. Just because its a post asking for advice doesn't mean it can't be posted here.

Also, you might want to look at the person's profile you are giving advice to. If you had done this, then you would have noticed that I have been here much longer than you, which means I obviously know a LITTLE bit more about where certain posts belong.

How long do I need to be here before I can be a dick?
greenandgold
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe RankerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:50 pm

You're also asking if you should take a closer or 2B. I assume you mean major league ready ones to fill the holes on your roster. This question really could go in the DTKW forum, most people know who Maybin is as he's close to an elite prospect.

Since you have been here so long, you should know how to treat other members, especially new ones ;-D

For your question, I'm the kind of guy who goes youth often in keepers, more so in dynasties. I took Wright in the 4th and BJ Upton in the 7th the year after they were called up :*) Needless to say this year is all mine. I think Maybin is a fine pick here, but if you take a guy like Todd Jones who will get 35 saves next year, and Jay Bruce next round, that's just as well.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby JTWood » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:08 pm

greenandgold wrote:
FalcoAtL wrote:Nope, my question revolves around a minor league player, thus the reason I posted it here. Just because its a post asking for advice doesn't mean it can't be posted here.

Well, you've already got two balls...

:-b
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:12 pm

This thread has been eaten by the Webhamster. This typically happens to solitary posts that move too far away from their own kind. Please repost your question or issue in the appropriate forum where it can dwell among the herd of similar threads and where the mods will bravely protect it from the mean rodents. And please ... do not feed the Webhamster! Thank you.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 568)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:16 pm

greenandgold wrote:

haha pwnd as the kids would say. :-b
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball