Ahh office life: Don't lie to your tech support guy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ahh office life: Don't lie to your tech support guy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:24 pm

I had an ID 10T moment yesterday...
I know enough to get by and can solve a few of my own troubles without bothering IT. One of our group's printer wasn't working, so they (the older ladies who use it) asked if I could check it out for them. I tried to print it, nothing. Turned it on and off, nothing. I remapped it from the network, nothing. I gave up and called IT. They came down and checked it out. Someone had unplugged it from the network :*)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:29 pm

bigken117 wrote:I had an ID 10T moment yesterday...
I know enough to get by and can solve a few of my own troubles without bothering IT. One of our group's printer wasn't working, so they (the older ladies who use it) asked if I could check it out for them. I tried to print it, nothing. Turned it on and off, nothing. I remapped it from the network, nothing. I gave up and called IT. They came down and checked it out. Someone had unplugged it from the network :*)

Thats not too bad....Mostly because you assume it wouldn't be unplugged from the network..

Your other trouble shooting steps were right on however. ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Printers and computers not being connected to the network is a major IT guy hangup; it's supposed to be the first thing you look at and it's usually the last.

I know better now, before doing anything I just go straight for an IP address.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:54 pm

Simulacrum wrote:You should have spent 2-3 hours in the printing room with the door closed.. grunting and banging into things. Then smear printer ink all over your face and emerge with her papers- "thank God you called me down here. That was the toughest job I've ever had to face".

Either that or tell her something totally insane like -

"It's no wonder there was a problem. There was a midget living in there! Yeah, a MIDGET! Thought the little bugger was going to bite my ankles off. I finally smacked him in the head enough times with a stapler that he passed out, so I stuck him in a paper box, sealed it up, and stuck the box in the trash. Oh, and if you get a little blood on your copies, don't worry about it, just keep reprinting it until all the blood is gone. Little bugger couldn't hold that much blood, could he?"

Or

"Thank God you called me! There were panties stuck in there! So very glad I was the one who got called because I'd have been in huge trouble since I was involved with that. You didn't happen to find any other clothing around here, did you? Some hookers are just plain messy."

Or

"Come here and prove to me that you're not too stupid to know how to unplug and replug something in."

:-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:55 pm

Madison wrote:
"Come here and prove to me that you're not too stupid to know how to unplug and replug something in."

God that one would be glorious!!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:

God that one would be glorious!!

I should have tacked on to that one:

*and make her prove it*

Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:47 pm

acsguitar wrote:

Thats not too bad....Mostly because you assume it wouldn't be unplugged from the network..

Exactly, why would anyone unplug it from the network? Well someone who doesn't work in that area needed to for something, and she forgot to plug it back in. Not really a big deal, I just felt like a tool for having to call IT because I didn't think to check that. !+)

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 250)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:52 pm

bigken117 wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Exactly, why would anyone unplug it from the network? Well someone who doesn't work in that area needed to for something, and she forgot to plug it back in. Not really a big deal, I just felt like a tool for having to call IT because I didn't think to check that. !+)

That happened to me sorta the other day:

No internet on a computer. Turns out a "Manager" came into the office and unplugged the computers cable to use it for a laptop and never plugged it back in.

2 hours later after talking to a slightly senial woman we figured it out.

She was fired today poor lady the manager should have been fired :-t
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk