Ahh office life: Don't lie to your tech support guy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Ahh office life: Don't lie to your tech support guy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ahh office life: Don't lie to your tech support guy

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:55 pm

Everyone lies to the tech support guy and it needs to stop. Stop being a dirty liar. If lie to people I get fired. If you lie to me then its ok because you are just a "End User" and we are here to help you cause you don't know anything about computers.

But you do know how to unplug things and plug them back in. At least I hope that this is the case considering everything in the world can be plugged in.

Your tv, your cell phone, your microwave, your blender, your nintendo. They all plug in so don't be a dirty liar and play dumb that you don't know how to plug things in.

Now people lie to us all the time. Did you reboot? Yes (Of course they didn't)

Who downloaded this pirated copy of google earth? : Oh I don't know

Etc... now I can say alright Maybee the use doesn't understand the word reboot. Maybee they in fact logged on or off. Maybee the google earth came in a package and they didn't know

But plugging things in is self explanatory.

The situation:

Secretary A is now "Building Manager": Basically she went from being pushed around by the man to becoming the man. She has a big head now and thinks everyone needs to drop everything to help her. She used to be really nice and fun. Not any more.

Client: Help the printer doesn't work
Me: Does it not work for everyone or just for you
Client: It doesn't work for me and (Rattles off 20 names just to be a jack arse proving that it really doesn't work)
Me: Did you unplug the printer and plug it back in.
Client: Yes and it still doesn't work.

Now comes the funny part. When these steps don't work its the Key Operators job to call imagistics and figure it out. We rent these machines and basically they support them other then the casual did you unplug it and such.

ME: Who is the Key Operator for this machine?
Client: I am
ME: Did you call imagistics?
Client: No. Last time it broke you guys fixed it. ( Translation: I am not a secretary anymore so I don't wanna call them. I'm special. And when I say last time you fixed it it was probably a paper jam but thats ok cause anything that has to do with something electronical you guys once fixed so its your job)
Me: Ok i'll check it out

I walk downstairs unplug the printer and plug it back in. It immediately starts printing her stuff. I had her the papers it printed.

Client: Oh it works now?
Me: Yes

walks away.

Anyways obviously she was a dirty liar and didn't unplug the machine and plug it back in. So I wasted 15 minutes of my time adding the printer in to my printers list via IP which sucks finding the god forsaken drivers on imagistics website, just to walk downstairs and unplug something like so many of us do on a regular basis every day.

So please don't lie to the IT guy especially if its a simple simple thing such as unplugging a power cord. :~(
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Phatferd » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Wasted 15 minutes? How much time do you waste on here? 8 hours?

j/k, I'd rather you waste 8 hours here.

;-D ;-D
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:05 pm

My dad had a similar problem the other day. Some woman came to him complaining about how she lost a whole folder of emails in Outlook.

Him: Did you delete it?
Her: No, they were just gone when I opened Outlook
Him: Did you change any settings
Her: Nope

He looks around to see if maybe they are hidden somewhere...in another folder or something. They're not. He knows she deleted them, but she won't admit it. She keeps bugging him all day about it until at the end he says you had to have deleted them. Then the woman's like I guess I'm kind of tired today so maybe I did.

So basically she wasted almost his whole day because she couldn't just admit she deleted it when they both knew she did. Stupid people... :-°
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:07 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:My dad had a similar problem the other day. Some woman came to him complaining about how she lost a whole folder of emails in Outlook.

Him: Did you delete it?
Her: No, they were just gone when I opened Outlook
Him: Did you change any settings
Her: Nope

He looks around to see if maybe they are hidden somewhere...in another folder or something. They're not. He knows she deleted them, but she won't admit it. She keeps bugging him all day about it until at the end he says you had to have deleted them. Then the woman's like I guess I'm kind of tired today so maybe I did.

So basically she wasted almost his whole day because she couldn't just admit she deleted it when they both knew she did. Stupid people... :-°

OH I love that...

My favorite: Did you delete the folders in outlook.

Idiot: No

me: Are you sure?

Idiot: yes i'm sure I would know if i deleted them

Me: Did you look under deleted items to see if its there?

Idiot: Yes its not there.

I remote in open deleted items and its sitting right there.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:21 pm

You should have spent 2-3 hours in the printing room with the door closed.. grunting and banging into things. Then smear printer ink all over your face and emerge with her papers- "thank God you called me down here. That was the toughest job I've ever had to face".
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Simulacrum wrote:You should have spent 2-3 hours in the printing room with the door closed.. grunting and banging into things. Then smear printer ink all over your face and emerge with her papers- "thank God you called me down here. That was the toughest job I've ever had to face".

yeah i agree... make it seem like its the hardest thing to do and they really need you around there...hey, maybe you can get a raise or somethin

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 3 run homer » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:35 pm

pssssh I'll lie if i want to. :-°

remoting in to someone's pc is a little dirty underhanded sneaky crap. ;-D
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:42 pm

I shoulda told her it was an Id 10t error and that it happens to alot of people
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:55 pm

acsguitar wrote:I shoulda told her it was an Id 10t error and that it happens to alot of people
:-D :-D :-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ayebatter » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:59 pm

I use 'S.O.M.' - Severe Operator Malfunfunction ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1280)