Dexter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Dexter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dexter

Postby Tavish » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:39 pm

A little more than a quarter of the way through season 5. I try to avoid spoilers so I do everything I can to not read this thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

The one thing I have learned from the series so far is that I will never live anywhere near Miami. So far through the first 4+ seasons there have been something like 20 serial killers that have worked the area.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:15 pm

Tavish wrote:A little more than a quarter of the way through season 5. I try to avoid spoilers so I do everything I can to not read this thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

The one thing I have learned from the series so far is that I will never live anywhere near Miami. So far through the first 4+ seasons there have been something like 20 serial killers that have worked the area.

A necessary suspension of belief, especially with how long the series has been on the air and with viewers clamoring for more non-major-plotline side kills.

By the way, at the end of season 6, he has 117 confirmed kills, with most of them murderers at risk to kill again. There's a few exceptions like Camilla (still counts) and the predator that targeted Astor but that's seriously an assload of serial killers/potential serial killers. And this only counts the ones mentioned or occurring on the show; there could be even more.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Tavish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:
Tavish wrote:A little more than a quarter of the way through season 5. I try to avoid spoilers so I do everything I can to not read this thread so I apologize if this has already been brought up.

A necessary suspension of belief, especially with how long the series has been on the air and with viewers clamoring for more non-major-plotline side kills.

Yeah, I was joking.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 26)

Postby jfg » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:14 pm

We still have the finale on our DVR and neither my wife or I are all that interested in watching it. This season was one of the worst seasons of any tv show I've ever taken the time to watch and I don't see myself taking the time to watch it next year. Last season was mediocre... it's too bad how far this show fell in two seasons. I think the main problem is that the writers are too tied down to their main cast. Creating weak plotlines with middle of the road characters doesn't make for good television.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm

jfg wrote:We still have the finale on our DVR and neither my wife or I are all that interested in watching it. This season was one of the worst seasons of any tv show I've ever taken the time to watch and I don't see myself taking the time to watch it next year. Last season was mediocre... it's too bad how far this show fell in two seasons. I think the main problem is that the writers are too tied down to their main cast. Creating weak plotlines with middle of the road characters doesn't make for good television.

The end of the finale should keep you around for next year.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:35 pm

Hopefully. I am not watching much TV these days not because I don't have time, just because there isn't much I'm interested in. I'd love to still be interested in this show but the writers need to start mixing things up in ways that aren't ridiculous. They need to take a look at other great shows and realize that no character is sacred (except maybe Dexter in their case) and that removing characters sometimes adds to the dynamic of a show.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

killing off characters is a hack writing crutch.

If they can't keep their show interesting without killing off key characters - or introducing secondary characters to kill them off, they aren't very creative. It's like what they say about comedians who can't get laughs without swearing.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jfg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:53 pm

David Simon disagrees.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:17 am

jfg wrote:David Simon disagrees.

boom.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am

Great comics and writers still have crutches, and that show was still amazing when they weren't killing people off. The Wire is also different in that the world he was describing has people dying all the time, unlike Miami where there isn't a new serial killer every year and the Miami Metro police chief is likely not the sister and ex-fiance of a serial killer while also being the ex-girlfriend of two different serial killer victims.

Additionally, the Wire killed people off organically since the cast was typically 20-30 active characters every season, easily half of which turned over every season, so when one or two of them get killed off, it is far more believable. I'm not saying that ever killing anyone off is a hack crutch, but Dexter uses this far more than is reasonably warranted in my opinion.

Dexter has like 4 or 5 core characters and they just bring in these new people with one degree of separation every season so they can kill them off. It's like the "Red Shirt" folks on Star Trek and Lost
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk