Dexter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Dexter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dexter

Postby bleach168 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:34 pm

Can't wait!!!
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:25 am

****May contain theme based spoilers proceed with caution****

Bought season 2 and started watching Thursday night, to which I am now finished. I couldn't love this show at any more of a core level than I do, the morality or lack their of, the questioning of what/who is at fault for who he is, the show just strings me along like a puppet, and I love it. Season 1 was the parading of Dexter, THIS is Dexter Morgan, the blood splatter analyst, the brother, the boyfriend, the father figure, the serial killer. Season 2 takes that and asks you to analyze it, takes every aspect of his life and makes you question it, what is the greater good, and not in a purely vigilante justice "is it right, is it wrong" sort of way, but even deeper. So many of the questions that arise had my mind hard at work trying to figure out who Dexter really is and what will come next, but never could I pinpoint it as the show is masterful at keeping your mind where they want it.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 am

The two seasons so far have been superb although it will still be hard to top Season 1. I think the new season will be crucial since a lot of shows start off great and typically starts to taper off in Season 3. Can't wait though.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DbacksRback » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm

Im pumped ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:41 pm

The reason I think Season 2 was as good as Season 1 was because of the genesis of Sgt. Doakes. Season 2 Doakes was one of the greatest television characters ever IMHO. If I have any concern about Season 3 it is the question, how the heck do you fill the void with Doakes dead? There seems like there will be a hand-off and Lt. Laguerta will take on the role but I'm not sure that's going to compensate. Jimmy Smits's character Miguel Prado looks fantastic so maybe he's the one to do it.

On another note, I have mentioned it before, but AFAIAC the books suck big time. The basic ideas from the books are used in the show but the show itself does a better job with them and has created better storylines than where in the books. This is what gives me hope the show can last awhile, at least a 3rd season, since it's basically been original material all along.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Yeah Doakes was great. I think the last few episodes of Season 1 is very hard to beat. Dexter's revelation about his origin and childhood was one of the most shocking things I've seen in a TV series.

EDIT: I'm not that big on Laguerta. I don't think that her character is interesting enough to fill Doakes's shoes.
Last edited by Yoda on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kimchi_chigae » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:16 pm

I'm certainly going to miss Doakes, but at least Lila is gone too.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Those last few episodes of season 1 were just fantastic, and while season 2 was good, it didn't top them.

And yeah, I do worry about how they will be able to replace Doakes. Not too much longer a wait now, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby TheA'sFatLeadoffMan » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:16 pm

***spoilers***

I loved season 2, season 1 introduced Dexter so it will be hard for me to see something as better than 1 because I love the show so much, but the inner monologue, the prodding and questioning of who/what he is was phenomenal. I particularly loved the scene in which he has Doakes in his cage and he commits a murder in Doakes presence, then after he is finished Doakes is completely disgusted of just what Dexter is having seen the grim reality. Then Dexter flashes back to when his father walks in on one of his murders, and he realizes that he's not what his father had in mind. He's not an assassin of evil, but a true serial killer who enjoys not the exacting of justice, but the dismembering of his victims. Then after Doakes is dead and his burden of paranoia is lifted as the "Bay Harbor Butcher" is "caught", he laughs at his own weakness, the idea that he might give in, and begins to reconvince himself what he is doing is right.

Season 1 though was great, because it's what made you fall in love with his character, his self-assuredness, his charm, his bravado, his meticulous nature, self-awareness. It was all so brilliantly portrayed by Hall, that you couldn't help, but be captivated by him.
TheA'sFatLeadoffMan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:08 am

First episode of season 3 has been leaked. I found it on bittorrent.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk