PS3 or Wii? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PS3 or Wii?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Phatferd » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:20 pm

tuff_gong wrote:I am going to wait a year or two on both systems till the prices drop, then see which has the better library of games. But right now, I would probably go with the Wii just because I could not afford the $600 pricetag of the Ps3. That being said though, I completely recongnize the fact that Ps3 is going to be an amazing machine as far as graphics are concerned. And that Metal Gear Solid 4 could be the potential game of the generation.


And as far as the 360 is concerned, I would say you could wait on one for now, but come next fall, it is going to be a wonderful time for 360 owners. Although Bungie says it may release Halo 3 in the Spring of 2007, I'd bet money it doesn't come out until the Fall. And Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out in October 2007. GTA4 and Halo 3 in possible 1-2 month timespan? Sign me up.


Exactly. I just play sports games, so I really have a hard time paying $600 for a ps3, but if Blue Ray wins out I might splurge. I bought my HD TV and really want HD movies, but I am not going to jump the gun to find out I wasted my money.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4058
Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Highway 10

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 pm

tuff_gong wrote:I am going to wait a year or two on both systems till the prices drop, then see which has the better library of games. But right now, I would probably go with the Wii just because I could not afford the $600 pricetag of the Ps3. That being said though, I completely recongnize the fact that Ps3 is going to be an amazing machine as far as graphics are concerned. And that Metal Gear Solid 4 could be the potential game of the generation.


And as far as the 360 is concerned, I would say you could wait on one for now, but come next fall, it is going to be a wonderful time for 360 owners. Although Bungie says it may release Halo 3 in the Spring of 2007, I'd bet money it doesn't come out until the Fall. And Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out in October 2007. GTA4 and Halo 3 in possible 1-2 month timespan? Sign me up.


Yeah, this is why I didn't buy a 360 when it was released last year. I was assessing which of the three would feature the better game lineup. I would probably lean towards buying both a 360 bundle at a discounted price to go along a Wii (which is about $300-400 cheaper than a PS3 I think). The graphics are probably the best with the PS3 with the distributed Cell architecture, but the difference is marginally noticeable, I believe, from that of 360 and Wii. I'd still want a PS3, but I'll wait for a price drop.
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Postby ThatDude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:57 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:360 and/or Wii

If you're concerned about BluRay for the PS3 as the main selling point, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD add-on plus you get the 10x better online service in Xbox Live (and the arcade).


I'm not concerned about BluRay, I'm all for it. I think it will spur the sales of the PS3, not hinder them.

Even at $600, the PS3 would be a cheaper BluRay player than an actual BluRay player, which I've seen going for anywhere from $900 to $1500.


As for Xbox Live being 10x better than the PS3 online, that certainly remains to be seen.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:35 pm

ThatDude wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:360 and/or Wii

If you're concerned about BluRay for the PS3 as the main selling point, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD add-on plus you get the 10x better online service in Xbox Live (and the arcade).


I'm not concerned about BluRay, I'm all for it. I think it will spur the sales of the PS3, not hinder them.

Even at $600, the PS3 would be a cheaper BluRay player than an actual BluRay player, which I've seen going for anywhere from $900 to $1500.


As for Xbox Live being 10x better than the PS3 online, that certainly remains to be seen.


I meant if it's the main selling point for you, like it's the reason you'd choose it over the other 2 systems.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 6696
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 23 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:55 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:
ThatDude wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:360 and/or Wii

If you're concerned about BluRay for the PS3 as the main selling point, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD add-on plus you get the 10x better online service in Xbox Live (and the arcade).


I'm not concerned about BluRay, I'm all for it. I think it will spur the sales of the PS3, not hinder them.

Even at $600, the PS3 would be a cheaper BluRay player than an actual BluRay player, which I've seen going for anywhere from $900 to $1500.


As for Xbox Live being 10x better than the PS3 online, that certainly remains to be seen.


I meant if it's the main selling point for you, like it's the reason you'd choose it over the other 2 systems.


The biggest selling point to me is always the library of games.


The PS2 having a DVD player wasn't a big selling point for me last time around, but it was like 3 layers of icing on the cake. Even then, I didn't buy one until after it had been on the market for about a year and a half.


By the time I buy the PS3 (current projectiion is the after-christmas sales in 2007), at least one Final Fantasy game, probably the God of War game, a solid shooter or two, and some other interesting games will be out, and I'll probably even get a game or two bundled with the console.

Since the Wii will be cheaper right out of the gates, I might get that one sooner, along with the new Zelda which looks absolutely amazing.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:27 am

If I decide to buy a console (I much rather play on the PC) I have to go with Wii. I've been addicted to Super Smash Brothers Melee since college and I can't wait for the Wii release.
Image
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3552
Joined: 7 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Watching Over Everything

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:54 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:If I decide to buy a console (I much rather play on the PC) I have to go with Wii. I've been addicted to Super Smash Brothers Melee since college and I can't wait for the Wii release.


Yeah, I'm more of a PC gamer as well, but when fighting games were in their prime, I suppose you could say, that was the main selling point as to why I'd buy a console a few generations back (i.e. PS, N64).
Image

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21947
(Past Year: 670)
Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Downloading rice

Postby thedude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:37 pm

PS2 had a 70-80% market share. Since people ussally stick with what they know, i am willing to bet that 2 years from now there will by at least twice as many PS3s as any other system.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby ThatDude » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:15 pm

thedude wrote:PS2 had a 70-80% market share. Since people ussally stick with what they know, i am willing to bet that 2 years from now there will by at least twice as many PS3s as any other system.


Is that figure for only domestic sales, or worldwide?

PS2 destroyed the Xbox in Japan last time, and I'd suspect the same happens again this time around.

But the console they buy in Japan has little, if any, bearing on what people here buy.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2210
Joined: 13 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tuff_gong » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:27 pm

I don't think the ps3 will be as completely dominate as the ps2 will. I think xbox (and Halo 3) will make it a little more competitive.
Image

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1483
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 14th and Ohio

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact