PS3 or Wii? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

PS3 or Wii?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:18 am

If I were you I'd get a 360. It has Dead Rising and is getting Guitar Hero 2, that alone would be enough to get me to buy it. If you're intent on getting one of those two though I'd say get a Wii just because it's not vastly over priced. The Wii also just has a bit of a neat factor to it.

For me next gen looks like this

Wii
PS3
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:22 am

I am definitely getting the Wii. Not sure about PS3 tho... GTA is one of my favorites all time.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ThatDude » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:27 am

Cleveland Steamers wrote:There have been comparisons to the Sega Saturn, a very powerful machine, but with a terrible release/marketing strategy. I see the PS3 doing the same, though Metal Gear 4 could change that single handedly.

Final Fantasy XIII alone will be enough to sell plenty of PS3's. There will also be alot of people that buy it because of the blu-ray capabilities, much like PS2's DVD player boosted those sales.

PS3 may not be as strong out of the gates as Sony would like, but I don't see the system completely flopping like the Saturn did. In fact, I see it eventually coming out the overall winner in the next gen consoles, with the Wii running 2nd.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:00 am

360 and/or Wii

If you're concerned about BluRay for the PS3 as the main selling point, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD add-on plus you get the 10x better online service in Xbox Live (and the arcade).
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 am

Wii
PS3

Although I think there's at least a couple of threads about this in the VG section.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:42 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:360 and/or Wii

If you're concerned about BluRay for the PS3 as the main selling point, the 360 is getting an HD-DVD add-on plus you get the 10x better online service in Xbox Live (and the arcade).

The 360s HD DVD upgrade is like $100, so it basically makes the XBOX 360 the same price as the PS3 and the PS3 blows the 360 out of the water in terms of graphics.

XBOX had a better online service with the last generations and probably will this time around, however, PS3 has announced changes to their service, plus it's free. I'd rather play online for free even if it's a little less in terms of quality.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MMoNeY24 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:04 pm

Phatferd wrote:

The 360s HD DVD upgrade is like $100, so it basically makes the XBOX 360 the same price as the PS3 and the PS3 blows the 360 out of the water in terms of graphics.

XBOX had a better online service with the last generations and probably will this time around, however, PS3 has announced changes to their service, plus it's free. I'd rather play online for free even if it's a little less in terms of quality.

How do you figure it's better in graphics? It's the same generation in systems plus the game developers have over a years worth of experience in developing the software for 360.

Even if you don't want to pay the $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold (~ price of one game for a superior service), Xbox Live Silver is free and still allows for updates and arcade games.
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Phatferd » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:24 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

How do you figure it's better in graphics? It's the same generation in systems plus the game developers have over a years worth of experience in developing the software for 360.

Even if you don't want to pay the $50 a year for Xbox Live Gold (~ price of one game for a superior service), Xbox Live Silver is free and still allows for updates and arcade games.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125087/index.html?type=tech

http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps3/games/features/45328.shtml

It has been common knowledge for a while now that the PS3 is superior in terms of graphics to the 360. It's very similar to the last generation consoles. The PS2 was the first in the market and was very good, however, the XBOX was released later and was the superior console in terms of graphics.

I personally won't get either until I find out who wins the HD DVD/Blue Ray battle. I also will wait for the prices to drop.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:32 pm

Yeah, it's been known that the PS3 will have better graphics for a while...but I can't imagine how much better they will be. Was there a difference between graphics for Xbox and PS2? Absolutely. Was it a lot? Not imo. Xbox had better graphics, but it wasn't anything amazing compared to PS2. I think it will be the same this time.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tuff_gong » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:14 pm

I am going to wait a year or two on both systems till the prices drop, then see which has the better library of games. But right now, I would probably go with the Wii just because I could not afford the $600 pricetag of the Ps3. That being said though, I completely recongnize the fact that Ps3 is going to be an amazing machine as far as graphics are concerned. And that Metal Gear Solid 4 could be the potential game of the generation.

And as far as the 360 is concerned, I would say you could wait on one for now, but come next fall, it is going to be a wonderful time for 360 owners. Although Bungie says it may release Halo 3 in the Spring of 2007, I'd bet money it doesn't come out until the Fall. And Grand Theft Auto 4 comes out in October 2007. GTA4 and Halo 3 in possible 1-2 month timespan? Sign me up.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.
tuff_gong
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk