Liriano to undergo TJ surgery (Merged) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Liriano to undergo TJ surgery (Merged)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mocabeenow » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:24 pm

hopefully this strengthens his arm, and he has a long career of going 7 innings just like Johan.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaQ » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:53 pm

mocabeenow wrote:hopefully this strengthens his arm, and he has a long career of going 7 innings just like Johan.

~Moc

I hope for this too. I got him in a multi player trade right after the playoffs, and one of the players I had to trade away was...

...Ryan Howard :~(

Luckily, I already won the huge $$ prize in the league this past year. ;-D
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:08 pm

DaQ wrote:
mocabeenow wrote:hopefully this strengthens his arm, and he has a long career of going 7 innings just like Johan.

~Moc

I hope for this too. I got him in a multi player trade right after the playoffs, and one of the players I had to trade away was...

Wow you are going to regret that trade... I know the success rate is good for pitchers who come back from TJ but still, Liriano will always be a big question mark.

Players who had TJ: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... hn_surgery

My best guess is that if he does come back successfully, it will be in the pen and not as a starter.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BxBombers951 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:35 pm

NO!!!! MY BOY!!!!!!!!!!

i will still draft him next year with my last pick simply out of respect for that slider.
BxBombers951
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby gfantasy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:45 pm

BxBombers951 wrote:NO!!!! MY BOY!!!!!!!!!!

i will still draft him next year with my last pick simply out of respect for that slider.

could pay off in a deep keeper league...
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Postby Smee » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:11 am

The Twins didn't mismanage Liriano at all, he was babied all year and rightfully so.

Very unfortunate for the Twins he would have been nice for the playoffs, but then again he probably wouldn't have stopped the SWEEP.

Good luck on the rehab, Liriano and keep off the sauce!

[/img]
Go 'Topes!
Smee
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zito is God » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:08 pm

You traded Howard for Liriano??? I hope there were some others involved that you got to balance out that ridiculously lopsided trade.

It's a sad story, I felt he was damn good but I think he may be headed for the end of his (successful) career. Of course he'll still pitch, but it will either be out of the pen or as a starter minus his slider (which would make him quite mediocre).

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DaQ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:31 pm

Zito is God wrote:You traded Howard for Liriano??? I hope there were some others involved that you got to balance out that ridiculously lopsided trade.

It's a sad story, I felt he was damn good but I think he may be headed for the end of his (successful) career. Of course he'll still pitch, but it will either be out of the pen or as a starter minus his slider (which would make him quite mediocre).

haha our league has a contract system, so things get complicated. And yes, there were about 10 players in the deal. Having won the title already, I traded several high-salary very good players for Liriano and some rising palyers, but with much lower slaries. I also got a decent bit of salary $$ and much flexible cap room. It was either keep Howard and one or two other players, or about 4 players like I can keep now that I couldn't have otherwise (like the D-Train).
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DaQ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Yoda wrote:
DaQ wrote:

~Moc

Wow you are going to regret that trade... I know the success rate is good for pitchers who come back from TJ but still, Liriano will always be a big question mark.

Players who had TJ: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... hn_surgery

My best guess is that if he does come back successfully, it will be in the pen and not as a starter.

Like I mentioned in the post before this one, I was able to acquire Willis with the extra flexibility I had from the Howard trade to temporarily replace Liriano.
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:51 pm

The surgery generally improves velocity, and a lefty throwing in the high 90's can be dominant either out of the rotation or the pen. If he his changeup can remain solid and if he could develop a curve or even retain his slider, I still think he could be an elite pitcher. That's best-case, but this is an obvious hinderance to his development and possibly his career, but I still think he makes an impact somehow in this league.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates