I saw Clinton speak today - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I saw Clinton speak today

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:29 pm

slomo007 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:It's not giving paychecks to lazy people; it's preventing preventable health problems and deaths.

It's preventing preventable health problems and deaths by giving paychecks to lazy people. ;-D

Point taken, but I'm curious to find out how many of those 46 million Americans are just lazy, and how many work their asses off and can barely get by regardless.

Remember in Office Space when they were talking about their high school guidance counselors tell them if they had a million dollars and could do anything they wanted, then that's what they should do as a career. But Michael Bolton points out that it's a BS question... because no one says they want to be a janitor; but we need janitors and many other low-paying jobs that otherwise educated Americans don't take or want, and people in those low paying jobs that suck generally don't have adequate healthcare. So, basically, if a janitor gets cancer, i don't think it's very socially responsible to just let him die because anything else would be handing him a healthcare paycheck for "being lazy."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:35 pm

Coppermine wrote:Well that's where the school of thought comes in that, when it comes to the health of a nation's citizens, the government has a duty to protect and provide healthcare for those regardless of class status. There are 46 Million people living in the United States without any healthcare. This is not specifically because they don't work hard; although some may be lazy or degenerate, many Americans working in low income jobs that necessary to keep America going are not provided and can't afford healthcare. Nationalizing a healthcare program in this country, in my opinion, is not giving preferential treatment to anyone, but providing some of the most basic health necessities that other countries have. It's not giving paychecks to lazy people; it's preventing preventable health problems and deaths.

I couldn't disagree more. It's not the government's duty to protect you from health problems, it's your duty. There are plenty of low-cost clinics and safety net providers where you can get care if you need it. And if you need hospital services and can't afford them? Well, that's why hospitals allow for bad debt and charity care every year when they do up their projections, because it happens.

Get a job if you want healthcare, don't expect my tax dollars to pay for it. Can't get a job that gives you healthcare because you aren't qualified? Go to school and get a degree and get qualified for a job that gives you benefits. I've been there and I did it. I'm tired of rewarding those that don't have the initiative to help themselves.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:35 pm

Coppermine wrote:republican would consider any democrat a "wolf in sheep's clothing." If it's a trust issue, then democrats don't trust republicans and vice versa...

No, I don't think that is the case at all. I have voted for moderate Democrats in the past because I trusted the integrity of their stance. There are members of the Republican party who I consider to be wolves in sheeps' clothing. In a political sense, a wolf in sheep's clothing is someone presents themselves in one light to gain votes and then acts in another.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:47 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Coppermine wrote:republican would consider any democrat a "wolf in sheep's clothing." If it's a trust issue, then democrats don't trust republicans and vice versa...

No, I don't think that is the case at all. I have voted for moderate Democrats in the past because I trusted the integrity of their stance. There are members of the Republican party who I consider to be wolves in sheeps' clothing. In a political sense, a wolf in sheep's clothing is someone presents themselves in one light to gain votes and then acts in another.

Well then that's an admirable position to have.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:00 pm

The problem with the healthcare system is demographic. The people who are old and dying now are the people who fought in WWII. The children of the people who fought in WWII and the people who worked in US factories to allow the US to achieve their current level of power are the next group and there are more of them to take care of. Niall Ferguson's Colussus is a very good source on this.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:20 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Well, it's not everyday you see Mark Cuban walk into your office, which means it's not everyday you come close to a $6 billion dollar check.

Top that. :-D

Shut your mouth dodge....... really?

Yes, really. If you read his blog, Mark is really down on Youtube and is sort of mocking Google for buying them out...so that makes you wonder why three weeks ago he walked into the Revver offices here (we at Revver are competing with YT after all) to have a long hour-hour and a half chat with our CEO. He was pretty much all business and so Mark just walk past by my office, curiously looking a what I was wearing (I happened to wear a Celtic jersey that day. No, not the Boston Celtics one. The Glasgow Celtic one)...and just walked off to and fro.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:27 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Well, it's not everyday you see Mark Cuban walk into your office, which means it's not everyday you come close to a $6 billion dollar check.

Yes, really. If you read his blog, Mark is really down on Youtube and is sort of mocking Google for buying them out...so that makes you wonder why three weeks ago he walked into the Revver offices here (we at Revver are competing with YT after all) to have a long hour-hour and a half chat with our CEO. He was pretty much all business and so Mark just walk past by my office, curiously looking a what I was wearing (I happened to wear a Celtic jersey that day. No, not the Boston Celtics one. The Glasgow Celtic one)...and just walked off to and fro.

Oh, I didn't realize you worked at Revver... have you met Lonelygirl15? !+)
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:37 pm

We can all agree, though, that the US does have a big problem with our health care system, can't we?
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:45 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:We can all agree, though, that the US does have a big problem with our health care system, can't we?

I don't really think so, but that's just me. I do, however, think we need to limit a doc's liability, which (as Mook pointed out earlier) would bring down malpractice lawsuits, insurance premiums, and consequently some of the costs. But other than that I don't see a whole lot of issues.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:50 pm

Coppermine wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Coppermine wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize you worked at Revver... have you met Lonelygirl15? !+)

Haha, no, but I know from a few colleagues who attended the TV Guide Halloween party here in Hollywood that she was there.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk