Avoiding Dump Trades - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Avoiding Dump Trades

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Avoiding Dump Trades

Postby keithp23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Hey gang,

How do you avoid dump trades in keeper leagues? Do you have rules against them in your leagues at all? Care to share?

Thanks!
KP
keithp23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RugbyD » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:47 pm

there's nothing wrong with a "build for next year" trade, if that is what you are referring to.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby keithp23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Here's the situation I refer to:

the Crush (6th place out of 9) Send C/D (last year) contracts:
Jeter
Texiera
Hafner
Sabathia
Mauer

To the Rattlers (then in 2nd) for:

Renteria $20b
Tehean $10a
Beltre $36b
Lilly $7b
Laird $2b

a = drafted this year. b = one year left on contract

It raised a lot of issues in my league because there aren't any real standout guys in that list he got back.
keithp23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:58 pm

keithp23 wrote:Here's the situation I refer to:

the Crush (6th place out of 9) Send C/D (last year) contracts:
Jeter
Texiera
Hafner
Sabathia
Mauer

To the Rattlers (then in 2nd) for:

Renteria $20b
Tehean $10a
Beltre $36b
Lilly $7b
Laird $2b

a = drafted this year. b = one year left on contract

It raised a lot of issues in my league because there aren't any real standout guys in that list he got back.

That's not a "build for next year" trade by any means. That's just a horrible deal. I would demand explanation from the "Crush" to figure out WTF he's thinking before it just straight got vetoed. But that looks like collusion of some kind (and I hate using that word !+) ).
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby keithp23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Sorry, I forgot that after some people complained, Beltre was taken out and Konerko replaced him in the deal.

The main purpose of my question though - is he didn't break any rules per say. How do you avoid this in the future?
keithp23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:15 pm

keithp23 wrote:Sorry, I forgot that after some people complained, Beltre was taken out and Konerko replaced him in the deal.

The main purpose of my question though - is he didn't break any rules per say. How do you avoid this in the future?

In my dynasty league (28 teams), we have a board of 5 owners and trades have to get approved by them (3 yea votes and you're good). Anyway, this definitely reduces the terrible trades that you might normally see. Also, if a deal doesn't look on the up-and-up, then the owners have to justify it. You have to let each owner manage his own team to the greatest extent possible, and if he can provide reasonable justification as to why he's doing the deal, then fine. But it's not just a "click and done" type of thing by any means.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby keithp23 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:20 pm

I agree with you. The problem is that the "Crush" really feels he was getting keepers in Teahen, Renteria and the group. It's hard to see the 2nd place team benefit from such a trade.

I was in 8th place - so no sour grapes on my end.
keithp23
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:31 pm

keithp23 wrote:I agree with you. The problem is that the "Crush" really feels he was getting keepers in Teahen, Renteria and the group. It's hard to see the 2nd place team benefit from such a trade.

So none of the players that the Rattlers got could be kept? If that's the case, and depending on what kinds of salaries other players are contracted at, I can see some value there for Crush. Teahen and Renteria are good scores, but even Konerko and Laird could be pretty good pickups.

The thing is you can't not let an owner make a deal that hurts his team. Look at is this way, the guy in first had just as much of an opportunity to score those players too if he wanted to give up players that the Crush wanted for keepers. If he couldn't keep anyone he was dealing and thought for the long-term the guys he was getting were the better play, then so be it.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:33 pm

keithp23 wrote:I agree with you. The problem is that the "Crush" really feels he was getting keepers in Teahen, Renteria and the group. It's hard to see the 2nd place team benefit from such a trade.

The "Crush" is an idiot!! !+)

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:39 pm

I just realized that the guys the "Crush" gave up have contracts that end this year, correct?? If thats the case then the deal isn't that bad since he would't be able to keep them, correct? His "keepers" he got back though are marginal at best, probably coulda/shoulda got something better in return! Anyway, I'm not sure if I understand the keeper status on those guys fully, which means....... I'm an idiot!! :-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers