Andrew McCutchen vs. Billy Butler vs. Cameron Maybin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andrew McCutchen vs. Billy Butler vs. Cameron Maybin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best OF Prospect

Cameron Maybin
45%
Billy Butler
48%
Andrew McCutchen
2%
Other
5%

Total votes : 42

Postby quiksilver » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:30 pm

Butler is probably the best OF prospect in the minor leagues right now (excluding Delmon Young, who ought to remain on the major league roster).

I'd rank the 3 you mentioned Butler > Maybin >> McCutchen

You also listed "other" - don't forget about Felix Pie and Arizona has three, count 'em, THREE outfielders in the minor that are probably all top 10 prospects in their position right now (Justin Upton who switched from SS, Chris Young, and Carlos Gonzalez).
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:48 pm

I don't know about you guys, but even if Butler can't play the defense worth a (beep), he's still the best of the group now because he's the most MLB ready bat in the group.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby shortsavage » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 pm

quiksilver wrote:Butler is probably the best OF prospect in the minor leagues right now (excluding Delmon Young, who ought to remain on the major league roster).

You also listed "other" - don't forget about Felix Pie and Arizona has three, count 'em, THREE outfielders in the minor that are probably all top 10 prospects in their position right now (Justin Upton who switched from SS, Chris Young, and Carlos Gonzalez).

Hehe, not to follow you around and shoot your arguments down, but it looks like you're relying on outdated information again quicksilver (Baseball America 2006 top 100?).

Andrew McCutchen had as good of a season as any of 2005's amazing draft class of high school hitters. He should be in the same conversations as Maybin.

Felix Pie has proven to be a bit of a dissapointment. If he makes any credible top 5 outfielder list, I'll buy a keg and drive it up to you in Chico -- Pie isn't even a top 10 OF for me.

And again with the Arizona guys...they should all receive consideration as top 10 outfield prospects, but they shouldn't really end up in the top 3. Justin Upton has a ton to prove next season.

As for "other," how about Jay Bruce? He's in the same class as Butler, Maybin and McCutchen for me.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby quiksilver » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:23 pm

shortsavage wrote:
quiksilver wrote:Butler is probably the best OF prospect in the minor leagues right now (excluding Delmon Young, who ought to remain on the major league roster).

Hehe, not to follow you around and shoot your arguments down, but it looks like you're relying on outdated information again quicksilver (Baseball America 2006 top 100?).

Andrew McCutchen had as good of a season as any of 2005's amazing draft class of high school hitters. He should be in the same conversations as Maybin.

Felix Pie has proven to be a bit of a dissapointment. If he makes any credible top 5 outfielder list, I'll buy a keg and drive it up to you in Chico -- Pie isn't even a top 10 OF for me.

And again with the Arizona guys...they should all receive consideration as top 10 outfield prospects, but they shouldn't really end up in the top 3. Justin Upton has a ton to prove next season.

As for "other," how about Jay Bruce? He's in the same class as Butler, Maybin and McCutchen for me.

Ok, well first off, we can at least agree that Butler is the best of the group, onto the rest...

McCutchen was arguably much better in run production (more scored, more batted in). The reason I rank Maybin a couple notches ahead of McCutchen is that this was Maybin's first season. I think he has a little bit of a higher ceiling and he basically went pound for pound with McCutchen statistically this season despite the difference in age. A year makes a big difference and while I expect both to grow into solid outfielders I think Maybin has a higher potential.

You are correct not even I would pin Pie as a top 5 OF anymore but I wouldn't go so far as to bump him out of any top 10 list. He still has great tools it just seems he failed to adjust to AAA in his first run up there. It looks like he regressed but I think he's capable of adjusting and the reason I toss him high up here is because he's a step below the majors which means at this point he's one of the closest players to a call up.

When I mentioned "the Arizona three" that's exactly what I meant, in my original post I said that they were all top 10 in their position and I never labeled them as the top 3. I was just pointing out the fact that Arizona has 3 very good OF prospects.

Jay Bruce and I personally have no problem seeing him with the likes of Maybin and McCutchen. While we're throwing more names out how about the New Yorkers Jose Tabata and Fernando Martinez...[/b]
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:48 pm

McCutchen is only six months older than Maybin.

Pie is not in my top 15 OF.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby quiksilver » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:56 pm

shortsavage wrote:McCutchen is only six months older than Maybin.

McCutchen has two years under his belt, Maybin has one.

Pie is in my top 15.
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:47 pm

Age isn't nearly as important as experience is.

Why isn't Pie in your top 15, and if he isn't, who is?
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:39 pm

Koby Schellenger wrote:

I'll be publishing my top 10 OF list in about three weeks. Some guys who may not make the list but rank ahead of Pie...Travis Snider, Colby Rasmus, Adam Jones, Hunter Pence, and Ryan Sweeney.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Koby Schellenger wrote:

I'll be publishing my top 10 OF list in about three weeks. Some guys who may not make the list but rank ahead of Pie...Travis Snider, Colby Rasmus, Adam Jones, Hunter Pence, and Ryan Sweeney.

Was he in your top 10 before? if so, why did he drop?
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shortsavage » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:59 pm

I didn't have a top 10 OF list at this time last year.

Pie is a little like Joel Guzman to me...touted for his tools and being able to stay afloat with older competition, but still yet to prove that his tools will make him the player he was once touted to be.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball