Andrew McCutchen vs. Billy Butler vs. Cameron Maybin - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Andrew McCutchen vs. Billy Butler vs. Cameron Maybin

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best OF Prospect

Cameron Maybin
45%
Billy Butler
48%
Andrew McCutchen
2%
Other
5%

Total votes : 42

Andrew McCutchen vs. Billy Butler vs. Cameron Maybin

Postby jps715 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:53 pm

Whom do you see as the better prospect and why?

Now that they are all playing in the OF, I'd be interested to see which projects better in your minds.
jps715
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:03 pm

I'm not a minor expert so take this with a grain of salt but I was under the impression that Butler is an incredible bat with only Delmon as a rival.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:11 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm not a minor expert so take this with a grain of salt but I was under the impression that Butler is an incredible bat with only Delmon as a rival.

Butler is an incredible bat but probably won't be an OF. He looks like a full time DH when he arrives, though they are working him in LF, and I read he was making positive strides there.

I like Maybin more the most.

Overall I would take Maybin, Butler, McCutchen, but's it's pretty close.

Butler by far has the most power potential of the group.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby J35J » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:21 pm

bigken117 wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:I'm not a minor expert so take this with a grain of salt but I was under the impression that Butler is an incredible bat with only Delmon as a rival.

Butler is an incredible bat but probably won't be an OF. He looks like a full time DH when he arrives, though they are working him in LF, and I read he was making positive strides there.

I agree with everything said here. ;-D

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby shortsavage » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:15 am

The DH label is almost as bad as the journeyman and utility man labels. A guy has it slapped on him and he has to work his entire career to rid of it.

From what I've read, Butler made leaps -- not strides -- in the OF this year. This is actually pretty good column material. Thanks!

Good topic too jps715. These three all look like they have a great chance to become MLB all-stars to me.

Because he is almost to the majors, has mashed for a few years now, and makes consistent contact, my pick is Billy Butler. With Delmon Young close to loosing his rookie status as well as Alex Gordon, you're looking at three potential top five minor league hitting prospects, though.
Mike Pelfrey > Matt Garza
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby NatsFan10 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:58 am

bigken117 wrote:

Before this season, many baseball people viewed Butler as a future DH. However, as SS pointed out, by all accounts he improved by a large amount in the field this year, and the talk of him being a full-time DH has come to a halt at this point.

He will probably never win a Gold Glove, but I expect his defense to be around league average for his position once he comes up (FYI, he plays in right, not left). He has always had plus arm strength, which should help get him out of the occassional jam.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:03 pm

shortsavage wrote:The DH label is almost as bad as the journeyman and utility man labels. A guy has it slapped on him and he has to work his entire career to rid of it.

From what I've read, Butler made leaps -- not strides -- in the OF this year. This is actually pretty good column material. Thanks!

Good topic too jps715. These three all look like they have a great chance to become MLB all-stars to me.

Because he is almost to the majors, has mashed for a few years now, and makes consistent contact, my pick is Billy Butler. With Delmon Young close to loosing his rookie status as well as Alex Gordon, you're looking at three potential top five minor league hitting prospects, though.

Me personally, I'm not making my decision based on if Butler will be a DH or an OFer. I just think when the time comes for Maybin to play in the bigs he will be the more valueable fantasy player! I do think it will be very close between him and Butler though.

Jason
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:05 pm

shortsavage wrote:The DH label is almost as bad as the journeyman and utility man labels. A guy has it slapped on him and he has to work his entire career to rid of it.

Guys have to work their entire career, one reason or another, no matter what. From a troubled 'child' like Elijah Dukes to a once elite now injured Ian Stewart to hotshot with a temper Delmon Young, everyone has to prove it at the highest level. I'm sure Dayton Moore doesn't care if he can't field BP as long as he's mashing 40 HR and protecting Gordon. Fantasy-wise, nobody has a problem with sticking Hafner in their Util slot, and I think Butler can be just as good. He is in my in progress top 10 for my upcoming minor league draft.
Besides, he can't be any worse than Wily Mo out there. Can he :-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby clevername » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:05 am

if guys can hit they'll find their ways into the lineup.

Chris Duncan looked like me out in right field in the friggin World Series...yet he was in the game (for a while ;)).

I have Butler and am hoping for big things out of him.
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room...is for fun.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Butler

Postby SAFLA » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Butler is Kendrick with power IMO and in roto a guy that can hit .300+ with power is tough to find. Maybin and McCutchen both remind me of Mike Cameron. Maybin looks like he will hit for a higher average though. Don't get me wrong I like all 3 of these guys, but Butler even at DH could be a Hafner/Ortiz clone.

'06 stats

McCutchen .294 .359 .450 .809 - 2.25 k/bb - 23/8 S/CS A/AA
Maybin .304 .387 .457 .844 - 2.25 k/bb - 27/7 S/CS A
Butler .331 .388 .499 .887 - 1.65 k/bb - 1/0 S/CS AA

Butler and McCutchen are both 20, Maybin is 19. Butler did play in the the Texas league, but his low K rate is impressive.

Just my 2 cents

[/u]
SAFLA
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball