Talk about dysfunctional family - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Talk about dysfunctional family

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Talk about dysfunctional family

Postby thedude » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 pm

AUSTIN (AP) -- New Orleans Saints' quarterback Drew Brees has asked his mother to stop using his picture in TV commercials touting her candidacy for a Texas appeals court.

In commercials running on Austin stations, Mina Brees had been using a picture of her son in the uniform of his former team, the San Diego Chargers, to emphasize her ties to football.

"I think the major point here is that my mother is using me in a campaign, and I've made it known many times I don't want to be involved," Drew Brees said Monday.

Mina Brees, an Austin attorney, is running as a Democrat for a spot on Texas' 3rd Court of Appeals. She said replacement commercials that omit any mention of her son were taped last week and sent to stations on Friday.

She said she did not anticipate upsetting her son and that "everything in the ad was true."

She said her connection to football is relevant to her campaign because her father, a successful high school coach, used sports to teach her a strong work ethic that she would bring to the judicial bench.

Drew Brees, who won a state football championship with Westlake High School in suburban Austin, said he got no response from his mother when he first heard about the ads and called her to ask that she stop using them. His agent sent her a letter Oct. 20 threatening legal action, he said.

He called his relationship with his mother "nonexistent" after it crumbled six years ago when he refused to hire her as his agent.

Mina Brees said her son's allegations were a mischaracterization and that she had no intention of becoming his agent.

"I love Drew very much, and I'm very proud of him. But sometimes when people are following a career path, they change," she said.

Mina Brees also said she did not receive any messages asking her to exclude her son from her campaign.

Jill Fredericks, sales director for KVUE Television, said the station received a new version of Mina Brees' commercial late Friday. The old version stopped running Sunday and the new one was scheduled to begin Tuesday, she said.

Mina Brees is challenging incumbent Republican Justice David Puryear in next week's election. The appeals court reviews civil and criminal cases from 24 counties in Central and West Texas.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PlayingWithFire » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:19 pm

%-6 :-S
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 1337_Dude » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:25 pm

Such a dumb reason for a family to have troubles.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:42 pm

I've seen much worse than that, but it's still an interesting story. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:17 pm

She's probably crazy...i'd vote for someone else
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:34 pm

And the Mother-Of-The-Year Award goes to....

...I think it's safe to say Ms. Brees isn't going to win. The award or the election... :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:08 pm

if i had that giant mole i wouldnt want my pic all over the place either
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Phatferd » Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Kids don't just hate their parents and stop talking to them for no reason (unless your a kid). If you're an adult and Drew seems like a rational and polite person whenever I hear him on things, you don't just hate your parent.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:28 pm

Phatferd wrote:Kids don't just hate their parents and stop talking to them for no reason (unless your a kid). If you're an adult and Drew seems like a rational and polite person whenever I hear him on things, you don't just hate your parent.

Exactly. I think this story may shed some light onto why Drew doesn't chat it up with Mom very much anymore.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby gfantasy » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:31 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Phatferd wrote:Kids don't just hate their parents and stop talking to them for no reason (unless your a kid). If you're an adult and Drew seems like a rational and polite person whenever I hear him on things, you don't just hate your parent.

Exactly. I think this story may shed some light onto why Drew doesn't chat it up with Mom very much anymore.

Maybe its because she absolutely sucks.
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk