Pedro - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pedro

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pedro

Postby Amazinz » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:25 pm

Boston Herald wrote:The word from associates close to Mets starter Pedro Martinez is that the three-time Cy Young Award winner is ahead of schedule in his rehab from rotator cuff surgery, and that he could return to action ahead of schedule, meaning before the All-Star break next season. Former Red Sox doctor Bill Morgan and Mets doctor Richard Altchek used an innovative technique during the surgery in which they reattached portions of Martinez’ shoulder in such a way that he would not lose flexibility, allowing him to retain full range of motion once his recovery is complete. His velocity should also improve upon the mid- to high-80s fastball he was throwing last summer. Although the surgical technique may not have been available five years ago, this procedure repaired the same tear in the rotator cuff that Martinez developed in the middle of the 2001 season with the Red Sox. Martinez, fearing that the operation would turn out as disastrous to his career as it proved for his brother Ramon, opted for rest and rehab instead.

Boston Herald
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kimchi_chigae » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 pm

Good news for his owners in Keeper leagues.

Thanks for the heads up, Amazinz. :-)
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:34 am

ESPN wrote:SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic -- Pedro Martinez said he is making strides in his rehab, but doesn't expect to return the New York Mets' rotation until midseason.

"The rehabilitation process is better than expected," Martinez said.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner is recovering from shoulder surgery.

Martinez said he was in the initial phase of rehabilitation and planned to step up treatment in January. He will travel to Florida next week for another checkup.

"I am going for a checkup every two weeks, because this is what we agreed with the doctors," he said.

Martinez also said he is not going to change the way he pitches.

"I am not planning to make changes in my windup in any way," he said. "This is how I have had success and I'll keep doing it."

Link

Nothing major, just an update that Pedro's rehab is going well.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Big Train » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:56 pm

Roto Authority quotes Rick Wilton of The Baseball Injury Report:

Rick Wilton recently sent out an email update concerning the condition of Pedro Martinez. Based on his information, making a decision on Pedro for '07 becomes much easier. According to Wilton:

"The best case scenario for his return is mid-July. Considering the type of surgery and Martinez’ penchant for being a slow healer, this recovery has August written all over it. And when
he does return, he’ll be focusing on release points and protecting the shoulder, not trying to carry the Mets into the postseason on his pitching shoulder. Whether you’re drafting
early or late, look at him as an investment in the future 2008 and beyond!"

My most recent projection had Pedro at 86 innings for '07; at most he'd provide a buck's worth of roto value. I have to scale the innings back even further. I think we can safely bow out of any Pedro bidding at this point. What little value he can provide in the space of two months would easily be negated by commiting a reserve spot to him for the first four months.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:02 pm

I think 86 IP is aggressive but if that turned out to be the case he'd generate far more than $1 worth of value. Although in a league with a short bench I agree with the negative impact of stashing him.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:17 pm

Pedro green lighted to throw today.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby cordscords » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:11 pm

Amazinz wrote:Pedro green lighted to throw today.

I'm not a doctor, but shouldnt he be good to go before August? If he starts throwing 2morrow, his arm should be good by late June/early July.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:13 pm

They said late June, early July is possible but it's best case scenario. So it would be cool but I'm not getting my hopes up. ;-)
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:16 pm

March 14, 2007

General manager Omar Minaya expects Martinez back around the first week of August, and the pitcher himself is taking baby steps. To Martinez, every morning he is scheduled to pick up a baseball seems like Opening Day. He played catch again yesterday, delivering 50 throws from a distance of 60 feet, and in many ways, that felt like victory.
Link
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates