How much you bench? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

How much you bench?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bronxxbomber » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:07 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I was always taught to kind of let the bar 'bounce' off of your chest in helping you propel it up again. And to not have a solid grip on the bar, meaning the thumbs are on the same side as the fingers, not like you would grip a baseball bat.
All the bouncing does is increase the chance of hurting your sternum and yourself. You're not supposed you momentum to do any lift also.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:41 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I was always taught to kind of let the bar 'bounce' off of your chest in helping you propel it up again. And to not have a solid grip on the bar, meaning the thumbs are on the same side as the fingers, not like you would grip a baseball bat.
All the bouncing does is increase the chance of hurting your sternum and yourself. You're not supposed you momentum to do any lift also.

I did not know that. I'll have to be more careful I guess. :-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:13 pm

Most I ever did was 275. I could probably get up 200 today.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Most I ever did was 275. I could probably get up 200 today.

wow my most was 220 I think...no way I could get anywhere close to 200 these days
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:56 pm

The most I ever pressed was 305. I never reached my goal which was to get 315 (3 x 45 lb weights on each side).

It's been about 10 years since I lifted and I'd be lucky if I could press 250 now.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pjalst » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:46 pm

I bench depending on the pitching matchup :-D
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 39)

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:55 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:
RynMan wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:What I do more of is endurance bench pressing. Basically, I'll do 40 pounds on each side, do 10 reps, take off 10 pounds each side, and repeat until I finish 10 reps with no weights on each side. There was a time in high school when I benched in the wrong technique that I was working more of my triceps than my pecs and man, do you feel the big-time burn if you did it that way.

I'm not too crazy about flat bench presses, but I find myself lifting an extra 40 pounds on declines. There's just something I like more about decline bench presses because I suppose I can use my legs more for leverage. I'm pretty comfortable on the inclines too, but much prefer declines.

It just depends which fibres of the Pecs you want to work the most.

I'm not directing this at you AD, but I'm just saying this in general: Most people I talk to actually do it wrong, especially young guys. They take the bar all the way to their chest, which can put alot of strain on you joint capsule of your shoulder. Letting the bar go down that far is working outside your natural range of movement, which is going against the golden rule of weight training.

I won't argue with you because you seem to know what you are talking about, and I will admit I am not as knowledgeable as others when it comes to weight training.

But, I have been taught to let the bar touch you chest- not rest on your chest, but touch it before you go up again. I have been told by coaches that you are cheating yourself if you dont go down all the way. None of these coaches are experts though even if they claim to be :-b... Naturally a football coach would tell you to go down all the way....

How far do you personally go down when you bench? I've been taught to go to the chest but again I am not an expert.
No need to bring it down to your chest. Just be careful not to let it hit your sternum. Seen a guy break it on the bench (he tried to cheat and bounce it though).

Rynman is correct. You are also not supposed to fully extend your arms on the way up either. Locking joints = bad.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 pm

bronxxbomber wrote:

Yeah any weight being lifted should be done in a very, very slow motion.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Yoda wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:

This is why it takes me so long at the urinal.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:22 pm

josebach wrote:
Yoda wrote:
bronxxbomber wrote:

This is why it takes me so long at the urinal.

Elephantitis of the testes is a sad condition I'm very sorry for you
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk